Thread: Pre April 15th bait checklist(s)

Default Pre April 15th bait checklist(s)

Figured with the influx of new baiters visiting I would toss up some of my "Go To" items for the bait barrel..

#1 Liquid Smoke (this stuff is great for quick scent and seems to work well up here) I buy several gallons for the season on Amazon (it usually fly's off the shelf in town but sometimes can be found at 3 bears)

#2 Popcorn (lots, if you have access to a few poppers just bungee them around a 55gal trash can and pop away) This is a great filler and its much easier than dragging several 50lb bags of dog food. I coat mine with strawberry Kool-aid just after its popped.

#3 Scent Attractant (several companies to choose from I usually find myself reaching for the stuff made by a Wasilla based company) Anise, Bacon, Maple or Honey are great combos as well as blueberry. A quick google search will show up several companies that make it.

#4 The winter's supply of bacon grease that we save (as well as other scraps) I usually toss them in a 2 - 5 gal bucket and hang around 12-15ft up with small holes drilled in the bottom of the bucket

#5 Dog Food (self explanatory)

#6 Pastries / Bread (also great fillers but remember not to just use these as other stations in your area may offer the bears a better variety of tasty treats).

#7 homemade lollipop in a metal 5 gal bucket or even a paint can (google how to do this its quite simple and works well). we usually toss a heavy chain in the can with about 3-4ft of excess chain outside to allow easier access to securing it to a tree etc.

#8 Peanut butter (another excellent option to keep bears on station longer) I have seen several tricks ranging from filling a used tire tied on a tree to just using the plastic containers stuck over a cut sapling..

#9 Molasses (great topper, just beware that if you dump it all over the tree's base 90% of the time the bears will tare it up so bad that the tree may die).

These are a few of the go-to items for me (I am leaving out a few of my more potent go-to items as we all have our secrets).

Best of luck everyone and hope to see some great reports this year!

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

That's a great list for newbies. I've never heard of using liquid smoke. Hmmm. Interesting.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Great read, I use to bear bait in the interior but haven't done so for a long time. This thread has me thinking about getting back into the game..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I'm glad you mentioned anise oil. I remember coming in to the bait on the wheeler once and even we could smell that stuff a few hundred yards off......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Also a handy trick to do is take one of those travel soap containers (plastic) place a sponge inside (standard yellow works fine) drill a few holes near the top (1/2inch from the top) about 1inch holes work well for the plastic 3 holes on each side and one at the top. run a string through the top hole (top hole should be about 1 inch in diameter as well) place the sponge inside then RTV silicon the case closed. Mix pure anise oil and vegetable glycerine in a plastic bottle (2-3 1oz bottles of anise works well) then fill the container so that the sponge soakes up the liquid. Hang from a tree (out of reach of bears.) and now you have a long lasting refillable scent lure that can be reused for the duration of the season.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

homemade lollipops in a 5 gallon bucket.....? I cant seem to find anything on this.

Quote Originally Posted by w1a9c8k5 View Post
    homemade lollipops in a 5 gallon bucket.....? I cant seem to find anything on this.
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1197261

here ya go

I've got a popcorn making party planned with my partner for when I'm back from work. Going to try and make up a seasons worth, we'll see how it works out since I'm assuming there will be a few beverages involved to smooth things along. I like the idea of that lollipop; I've been trying to think of things to keep them interested when we have spells we can't bait for a few days or a week in between. I'll have to try it out.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Default Apples

I used apples, worked great to bring them in to the bait. Took a bag of apples and sliced them into quarters as you would for a kid, placed them back into the bag and poured heavy cinnamon and brown sugar into the bag and mixed it up, let the bag sit a room temp for a day then take to your bait. If I learned anything from watching yogi, a bear can't resist that apple pie smell!