Thread: Ruger M77: no stainless with walnut stocks?

Default Ruger M77: no stainless with walnut stocks?

1) Anybody ever seen a Ruger M77 MKII (not Hawkeye model) in stainless steel with a walnut stock?
    2) Anybody ever seen new/used/old stock inventory rifle stocks for the M77 MKII in walnut?

I have only rarely seen such rifles put together and wonder what the heck?

Sobie2

My M77 came new with a wood stock when I bought it. However, I chose to replace it with synthetic when I sent it out to be teflon coated.

I have one in 338 that is laminated, maybe walnut and maple?

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    1) Anybody ever seen a Ruger M77 MKII (not Hawkeye model) in stainless steel with a walnut stock?
    2) Anybody ever seen new/used/old stock inventory rifle stocks for the M77 MKII in walnut?

I have only rarely seen such rifles put together and wonder what the heck?

Sobie2
    I have a stainless M77 MKII dressed in full length Mannlicher style walnut... Does that count?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Most of, if not all the Stainless/walnut stock guns were distributor "exclusives", meaning a particular distributor would order 500 or so identical guns from Ruger, and specify caliber and configuration. One that comes to mind was a 257 Roberts stainless in a full length mannlicher stock marketed by Lipsey's. Sold several back in the day.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

If a guy was interested in picking up a Hawkeye on the cheap, CDNN has varios calibers in the all weather and the walnut/blue for $499. I think I heard they were being discontinued....

Laminated doesn't count. Mannlichers do. Thanks gunbugs. I too had heard the Hawkeyes may be going away but it hasn't come true yet.

Sobie2

I've got one that I re-stocked. Originally had the boat paddle stock. I ordered a stock from Richards Microfit, Doug inletted it, and I finished it. I've never seen another one in stainless with a walnut stock, but I like mine.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Most of, if not all the Stainless/walnut stock guns were distributor "exclusives", meaning a particular distributor would order 500 or so identical guns from Ruger, and specify caliber and configuration. One that comes to mind was a 257 Roberts stainless in a full length mannlicher stock marketed by Lipsey's. Sold several back in the day.
    ShortRifleFan.Ruger.RSI.International.SS.7x57.03.jpgThese were produced in several nice chamberings; mine's 6.5x55.
    I know in the 80's they also did a 7722 in stainless/walnut.
    7722V.jpg
    Can't believe these were their only SS/walnut pairings tho (?).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist