Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeti Coolers. How well do they really work?

Default Yeti Coolers. How well do they really work?

Hey Guys,

Thinking about buying one for this summer when my family and I stay at our property for a few weeks to build a cabin. But also, I would like to use it later on for extended hunting/fishing trips. Anyhow, I am wondering how long frozen food will realistically stay frozen in the Yeti cooler assuming I use a standard 48 quart cooler and assuming I fill the cooler completely full with frozen food when we first leave, giving the contents more mass/volume and less surface area. Any advice, tips, suggestions are welcome.

The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Yeti is just one "brand" of the high end extra thick coolers. I ended up getting a Yukon at Sportsmans Warehouse because they had the size I wanted and were out of the Yeti. Prices are similar among them, so the biggest difference are the latching systems they use. Check and see which one you like best. Some of them allow you to attach a lock on them, if that's important to you. After three seasons of use there are two things that stand out to me. First, they are very Heavy! Second, ice lasts easily three times longer in them :-) . A third issue is that because they have so much more insulation to them, they are much larger and need extra space. Like All Coolers, the more you can keep them out of direct sunlight, the better. I've done a ten day haul road trip where I kept my Yukon either on the back seat of my truck, or under my canopy and I still had some ice on my last day. Personally, I will never go back to the cheap light weight coolers. Last tiem I checked, Sportsmans and Cabelas had multiple brands to check out. Have fun shopping, you won't regret it!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Jack,
    Have you considered using a small chest freezer IF you will be running a generator daily for construction?
    If not, then the cooler will have to do. They are heavy as mentioned but work well.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

They work great. Had things that stayed for twenty one days. Just need to remember that you don't want to dive in and out all day long. Get in and get out once a day or so and then keeping it out of direct sun. Plan you meals and layer them with first meal on top working your way down. This helps keep your time the cooler lid is open down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    They work great. Had things that stayed for twenty one days. Just need to remember that you don't want to dive in and out all day long. Get in and get out once a day or so and then keeping it out of direct sun. Plan you meals and layer them with first meal on top working your way down. This helps keep your time the cooler lid is open down.
    Hey Dan,

Thanks for your response. Wow, 21 days. That's a long time. How big of a cooler was it? Was it a standard 48 quart cooler? What time of year was this?

Last year I made the trip up to Los Anchorage and picked up the 160. I put 4 Dairy Queen 10" ice cream cakes in it and a 5lb block of dry ice. There was lots of open space in it that I shoulda filled with Wendy's frosties, and I hadn't pre-cooled the cooler. I left Anchorage with it all on Sat at about 4pm, drove to homer and got on the ferry the next morning. When I got to Kodiak Sunday night and got home, the cakes were frozen harder than they started, the plastic cases were cracking from the cold, the dry ice still weighed in a 4.1lbs. That 5lb block of dry lasted another 7 days all by itself in there. The temps outside even up in Anchorage never got below 40 during the trip and it was sunny and 40-50 in Kodiak. Cooler worked great.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Pre cooling these high end coolers is a very good way to get optimal length of ice or keeping your goods cold/frozen. Pre cooling can be putting said cooler into your chest freezer the day before you pack it or simply add a block of ice the night before. IMO they do work very good other than as stated before they are heavy! Also, get a size bigger than you think you need
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Jack,

There are plenty of premium coolers on the market now and I'm of the opinion that they will all perform comparably. I was looking at buying one last year for rafting trips but couldn't find one in the size I wanted. I ended up making my own, which I do not recommend to anyone not well versed in fiberglass layup. If buying one today I'd decide based on features, availability, and price. Yeti makes a nice cooler but I don't think it outperforms the competition. Where it does shine is in availability of accessories and repair parts. If you want to customize or think you may be exceptionally rough on your equipment then Yeti probably is your best choice.

When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

I have a good amount of personal experience with both Yeti's and Canyon coolers and both do an excellent job. They are definitely heavier and bulkier than the cheapo models, but well worth the tradeoff imo. One tip for packing frozen goods for extended periods of time (if you have access to a walk in freezer) is to layer the food so you work from the top down and don't have to dig and then fill up all the air space with water. Stick in the walk in and presto you've got a frozen goods for up to three weeks easy. Just keep it out of direct sunlight.

I just picked a 135 quart Esky cooler at the Anchorage boat show. Got it for $349. Reviews I have seen put it in the ball park with the Yeti/Pelican/Grizzly coolers. Look forward to putting it to the test
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I found that block ice works way way better. Glacier ice is even better yet. Pre cool any of the root molded coolers and keep the lid closed and they will keep stuff cold. I use a small yeti to keep our catch cold to get it all home. I have actually had shrimp freeze in mine.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

My advice? Lock it to your boat or truck. They grow feet.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I picked up a 60qt Cabelas Outfitter last fall. It works really well when using it as others have said. Keep it in the shade, keep the lid shut as long as possible. Its obviously heavier, but works good and a bit cheaper for the same comparative sized Yeti brand. Since I bought mine after summer, I just used mine on 2 trips last fall and most of the food in it was pre-frozen from home. I never did put ice in it. I never pre-cooled mine either, I might try that though to see how it works.. Regardless, my items stayed cool for a solid week and there's no way that that would've happened with a Wal-Mart Coleman type cooler...

I bought a yeti a couple years ago. It is by far the best purchase I have ever made. I commercial fish in PWS and I have it strapped to the roof of my boat in direct sunlight. I can fill it with ice and the ice lasts better part of a week (5-6 days). Prior to the yeti I had a cheapy and I would have to fill with ice daily. No regrets here on spending the extra money for quality.

I have two yeti ice chest and I am not impressed by either of them. I won't buy another one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akmatt66 View Post
    I have two yeti ice chest and I am not impressed by either of them. I won't buy another one.

....and the reason being...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I filled the little roadie up with only ice so I could refill my cheaper ice chest thinking it would go though ice quicker. So we get to the river and I put both ice chest under the truck to keep the sun off of it. After 2 days that yeti had zero ice and my igloo 5 day chest still had a couple inches. Note ice in glennallen is $4 a bag.

Wow, I get the exact opposite. I'll get 2-3 days out of a 5gal bucket of loose ice in my 160. With my 165 igloo I had to put a fresh bucket everyday to keep baits cool between trips.

Quote Originally Posted by akmatt66 View Post
    I filled the little roadie up with only ice so I could refill my cheaper ice chest thinking it would go though ice quicker. So we get to the river and I put both ice chest under the truck to keep the sun off of it. After 2 days that yeti had zero ice and my igloo 5 day chest still had a couple inches. Note ice in glennallen is $4 a bag.

Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast