Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walk through Transom

Default Walk through Transom

I found a good deal on a Pacific Explorer two summers ago. It was not set up exactly how I wanted but it was a good enough deal that I purchased it knowing that I could make it my own. One of the options that I wished the boat had was the walk through transom. I contacted Hewescraft and they were willing to work with me to that I could make the modification. I bought the door directly from Hewes and Gary at Great Land welding has done the fabrication. There are a few small , mostly cosmetic items, to finish but I thought I would post a picture or two since I have not been on the forum much this winter.
    Closed_exterior.JPGIMG_0140.jpg

Here are a couple of additional pictures. A picture prior to the modification and a picture of the open door.
    Open.jpg11_3_15_Iphone 484.jpg

Nice change! What else you doing or planning to do to make this" boat your own"?

Looks awesome! Gary at Great Land Welding is fantastic.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

We had the transom door factory installed, makes it very easy for elderly folks to get into the boat. On a side note, a buddy tripped over the lower lip, threshold, and nose dived into the Homer Harbor last King Derby. We have since painted the lower lip/edge to help folks see it. We also have a fold up ladder under the extended transom motor mount/swim step area that he used to climb back onto the boat. No way could I have pulled him up onto the swim step area!

Quote Originally Posted by yanert View Post
    Nice change! What else you doing or planning to do to make this" boat your own"?
    Not planning to cut my boat in half but AKMUD helped me come up with a crane/pot hauler, I have added a battery management system, a camper back, and a NEMA 2000 network. Next I am considering adding shore power and a charger inverter. I still need to do some research but I am expecting to get a slip in Seward in a month or two and it would be nice to be able to plug in to shore power I am not sure that I can afford it but I would like to have a EZ Anchor puller but that can be upwards of 5-6k with installation.

An EZ anchor drum style winch would be high on my list if I didn't have a couple windless style pullers to burn up first. The problem I have with the drum style is the height and width. It's easy to sit them down in a box so the rode comes straight back to the drum instead of up to the drum and take care of the height. The width is different, to get enough line, 500-600 feet of 1/2", you need 26-27" of width. For 300' about 22" or something like that, I'm going on memory so may not be dead on, 22" is no problem, 26-27" is more difficult to do on a Pacific Explorer. Three hundred feet at anchor for the night is no problem, but I like to set the hook that deep for fishing at times and like at least 500' of rode. You could mount it to the top of the front deck. I set a box the size of the drum winch on my front deck and felt it was in the way physically and visually. A friend set his down in a box cut into the front deck and it made a world of difference, but he has a shorter anchor line now. These are just my thoughts on the EZ anchor winch.

Shore power is pretty straight forward, just remember to use a galvanic isolator or transformer. Being able to plug in a portable generator makes staying out for a few days a completely different animal, and opens many more doors worth of options. I would suggest an inverter/ charger combination. You might as well charge your batteries if you plug into shore power or a generator. Size your inverter to your house battery size or it could suck it dry like three people sucking on straws from the same milk shake.

Post pics of your changes. Everyone does things a little different, I learn something each time I look at how different people approach the same idea.

One more thought, as Rav'n Mainiac said, ladder off your swim step. The factory style is ok but I could post a couple pics of a little different approach that is also useable as a way to get on and off the boat when its on the trailer if your interested.

Yanert, I'd love to see your step ladder design if you don't mind.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

swimstep ladder.pngswimstep ladder2.jpg

First! This is not my plan. I found it online someplace, but thought I would do something similar.

Getting back on a boat with the factory ladder is difficult with water logged clothes and cold water for those of us who aren't young and flexible. This looks like it would make life a lot easier and be useable to get on and off the boat when it's on the trailer.

swimstep ladder3.png

This is the hinge detail.

Is this on your boat Rob B?

I have a swim step ladder but it folds and stows under the transom. Very neat and clean set up.
    Extremely handy but it was not cheap. I fell off my previous boat while exiting on to the 8' ladder in the driveway. The ladder went out from under me and I hit the boat gunnel, then the ground. Cracked 2 ribs and hurt like hell for a while.
    Thus, the swim step was added to our current boat.
    Bk

PS- The above story has nothing to do with transom doors......sorry for getting off track!
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I have a swim step ladder but it folds and stows under the transom. Very neat and clean set up.
    Extremely handy but it was not cheap. I fell off my previous boat while exiting on to the 8' ladder in the driveway. The ladder went out from under me and I hit the boat gunnel, then the ground. Cracked 2 ribs and hurt like hell for a while.
    Thus, the swim step was added to our current boat.
    Bk

PS- The above story has nothing to do with transom doors......sorry for getting off track!
    bkmail

I too am interested in the swim step. I may want to consider something similar for myself. I have also seen a ladder that mounts to the bow which is great for entry exit from beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by yanert View Post
    An EZ anchor drum style winch would be high on my list if I didn't have a couple windless style pullers to burn up first. The problem I have with the drum style is the height and width. It's easy to sit them down in a box so the rode comes straight back to the drum instead of up to the drum and take care of the height. The width is different, to get enough line, 500-600 feet of 1/2", you need 26-27" of width. For 300' about 22" or something like that, I'm going on memory so may not be dead on, 22" is no problem, 26-27" is more difficult to do on a Pacific Explorer. Three hundred feet at anchor for the night is no problem, but I like to set the hook that deep for fishing at times and like at least 500' of rode. You could mount it to the top of the front deck. I set a box the size of the drum winch on my front deck and felt it was in the way physically and visually. A friend set his down in a box cut into the front deck and it made a world of difference, but he has a shorter anchor line now. These are just my thoughts on the EZ anchor winch.

Shore power is pretty straight forward, just remember to use a galvanic isolator or transformer. Being able to plug in a portable generator makes staying out for a few days a completely different animal, and opens many more doors worth of options. I would suggest an inverter/ charger combination. You might as well charge your batteries if you plug into shore power or a generator. Size your inverter to your house battery size or it could suck it dry like three people sucking on straws from the same milk shake.

Post pics of your changes. Everyone does things a little different, I learn something each time I look at how different people approach the same idea.
    I have looked at the EZ anchor puller and as much as I could use one due to breaking my hip socket this winter, it is probably not in the cards. I am however planning to move forward with the shore power and am looking for input on inverter/charger combination. I also have a Honda EU200 generator that conveniently fits int eh dry hull. I have considered taking this out on extended trips to the sound. Any ideas or thoughts on shore power and inverters appreciated.

I had to go with the narrow EZ anchor to fit my 24' boat. To keep the longer rope length I used Sampson Super Strong 5/16" 3800lb break line. I guess it depends how big your boat is but for 99.9% of the time this should work IMO. But I will carry a spare anchor. When the winch is Recessed down into the cuddy it's not in the way much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice winch install Predator Control. Here is another install that is similar to what a PE would look like
    .drum winch.jpg

As far as shore power I'll start with where it hooks up to the boat
    .gen hook-up.JPG
    This shows where I chose to put the hook-up. A friend with a PE chose to hook up on the port side. This also shows the adapter to hook up a generator.

The generator can be used sitting on the swim step and plugged in, and
    gen plug in.jpggen long run fuel line.JPG
    you could also hook it up to a fuel tank with a long run adapter and not have to fill the fuel tank on the generator from cans of gas.

galvanic isolator.jpgacpanel:charger.jpg

The other major components are a galvanic isolator or an isolation transformer, an AC panel and a charger or charger/inverter. My friend who hooked up his shore power on the port side put his galvanic transformer in the rear seat of his dinette, with his AC panel on the side of the seat box.

Pay attention to the various grounds, AC, DC and chassis ground. The wiring schematic will change with personal preference and what the component installation manuals say.

I have 3 different chargers and a Kisae inverter/charger. My house battery will take up to a 60 amp charger. this inverter has a 55 amp 3 stage charger.

galvanic transformer.jpgisomoose ac panel.jpg

Here are pics of the install on the port side from a friends boat.

Off topic but there was mention of cutting the boat in half; not as difficult as you might imagine and the results can be WELL worth it. A friend stretched his 26' alum charter boat to 30' by sectioning the middle. 4' more deck space, better top speed, better cruise, better gph. All with twin f150 Yamahas.
    If I bought a new or used 26' Alaskan I'd seriously consider lengthening it 2-4'. The 26' with a head and larger cabin has less deck space than my 24'.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast