Thread: Ice thickness

Default Ice thickness

Hey guys,

Been out of state for the past month and I've been hearing rumors of early break up. So I'm interested in hearing from those Kenai Peninsula folks how the lakes are looking, specifically, Cooper, Skilak and Kenai. Thanks!

I can't speak for Cooper, but kenai and skilak are essentially ice free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Good to know! Any word on Cooper Lake?

Can't say for sure about Cooper as I haven't seen it either, but I would think it still frozen. I know a couple deeper lakes out north Kenai and they still have plenty of ice on them. Cooper really isn't that big of a lake and a lot of it is pretty shallow. Cooper can get some weather up there. I remember years when the show was completely gone down low, and had been for awhile, and you still couldn't even get up to the lake on Snug Harbor, the snow was that deep....

You say "early breakup" but a couple weeks ago I was told Caribou Hills got 3' of new snow. Saw a few pics from snowgoers and I'd have to believe them. That being said though, the tree in the front yard has been trying to bud for awhile now. It did that last year too and had a hard time during the summer. So we have seen some warmer days, but still a few consistent cold/er nights....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!