Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HB319 Snogo Registration Fees

Default HB319 Snogo Registration Fees

I didn't see any discussion about the proposed increase to snogo registration fees introduced in the House last month

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/g...=29&bill=HB319

Scott
    Mat-Su Trails Council Inc.

Not sure exactly how that bill system works. Here is a link to the sponsors comments in support

http://www.housemajority.org/2016/02...ment-hb-319-2/

I support increased fees because I live in an area that sees how well the trail funds are used. The trails in the Petersville area are fantastic due to this funding. However, I can easily see how you would not support this if you live in an area that sees absolutely zero in trail funding.

This type of increases is coming and we'd better be ready for it. The State is broke and the free/inexpensive ride is over.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Does this bill imply that all ATV's, UTV's and snowmobiles require registration?
    Where will the registration fees go, to the general fund or to help with trails that these use?
    What is the reason for the increase, other then the State needs more money?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I support increased fees because I live in an area that sees how well the trail funds are used. The trails in the Petersville area are fantastic due to this funding. However, I can easily see how you would not support this if you live in an area that sees absolutely zero in trail funding.

This type of increases is coming and we'd better be ready for it. The State is broke and the free/inexpensive ride is over.
    There is zero trail work done in my area, but wads of money are thrown towards the Caribou Hills. CES even maintains a cabin full of emergency rescue/aid gear even though it's not in the service area. NFD owns property in Gray Cliff and Moose Point, and we are in the fire service area, and yet nothing is done or spent out there. I often wonder how these allocations get divied up.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I personally would be ok with the raised fees but, I see many many sleds out there that are not registered the way it is. It seems to be an unenforceable law. Kinda putting the cart before the horse here... Seems like a logical 1st step would make it mandatory for all sleds/atvs/Utvs to be registered and try to get that enforced.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    I personally would be ok with the raised fees but, I see many many sleds out there that are not registered the way it is. It seems to be an unenforceable law. Kinda putting the cart before the horse here... Seems like a logical 1st step would make it mandatory for all sleds/atvs/Utvs to be registered and try to get that enforced.
    That's already the case unless you are on private land. I know people that have been ticketed.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Does this bill imply that all ATV's, UTV's and snowmobiles require registration?
    Where will the registration fees go, to the general fund or to help with trails that these use?
    What is the reason for the increase, other then the State needs more money?
    The way I read it it is explicit in (d)7 where snowmobile is removed and off-highway vehicle is the only thing left. (d)25 puts snogos in as a separate line.

I have always supported 'pay to play' and the snogos registration is peanuts. I also support an OHV registration but ONLY if the monies are returned for improving summer use trails. This was the agreement when the snogo registration was established and the monies are managed by a citizen board (snotrac).

If registration fees are collected on OHVs and given to snotrac then I would expect it implies that OHVs are allowed on the groomed trails.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
    I have always supported 'pay to play' and the snogos registration is peanuts. I also support an OHV registration but ONLY if the monies are returned for improving summer use trails. This was the agreement when the snogo registration was established and the monies are managed by a citizen board (snotrac).

If registration fees are collected on OHVs and given to snotrac then I would expect it implies that OHVs are allowed on the groomed trails.
    I agree, we've not seen much for summer trail maintenance. The bridge at Purinton/Boulder is the only trail work I've ever seen, and that was headed up by a local Matsu trail club.

BS NO more money for this program!!!!!!!!!!!!! Abolish it and go to trail head fees and get them out of the general fund!!!!!!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    I agree, we've not seen much for summer trail maintenance. The bridge at Purinton/Boulder is the only trail work I've ever seen, and that was headed up by a local Matsu trail club.
    That was us, Mat-Su Trails Council Inc. 501c3 non-profit.

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    BS NO more money for this program!!!!!!!!!!!!! Abolish it and go to trail head fees and get them out of the general fund!!!!!!
    An interesting idea. It works for the Mat Su Boro trails but it requires an employee to empty the boxes every day. Getting the $ out of the general fund requires a change to the State constitution. No very likely.

I have never seen a summer trail around here get any trail maintenance. Hell I'm not even allowed to run some of the trail heads because I'm "Commercial" Why should I pay $200 Plus a year for registration fees when I can not even use a public trail?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    There is zero trail work done in my area, but wads of money are thrown towards the Caribou Hills. CES even maintains a cabin full of emergency rescue/aid gear even though it's not in the service area. NFD owns property in Gray Cliff and Moose Point, and we are in the fire service area, and yet nothing is done or spent out there. I often wonder how these allocations get divied up.
    The monies are available as long as you apply for them. The state doesn't go looking to hand out the money, you have to ask for it. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/grants/snowmotr.htm

The monies are available as long as you apply for them. The state doesn't go looking to hand out the money, you have to ask for it. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/grants/snowmotr.htm
    I was successful in securing a TRAAK grant for trail work in Nikiski several years ago. The funds went to the Road Service Area. Director Davis sat on the funds, and his hands, doing NOTHING until they finally required the funds to be returned. What a joke.

Until the funding gets divided up equally based upon trail traffic rates, im not for registration. They do it to roads, more traffic more funding. Absolutely no reason why the lake louise area and petersville etc get way more funding allocated than other locations that have more traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I was successful in securing a TRAAK grant for trail work in Nikiski several years ago. The funds went to the Road Service Area. Director Davis sat on the funds, and his hands, doing NOTHING until they finally required the funds to be returned. What a joke.
    I don't know what to say. Not a single dime of trail money has ever gone anywhere near our road service area.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhook57 View Post
    Until the funding gets divided up equally based upon trail traffic rates, im not for registration. They do it to roads, more traffic more funding. Absolutely no reason why the lake louise area and petersville etc get way more funding allocated than other locations that have more traffic.
    What trails are getting more traffic? Are there clubs in place that are applying for the money? Maybe Lake Louise and Petersville are just better organized. I do know for a fact that Curry Ridge Riders spend far more on grooming than they get from the funds. The Petersville trail system is a model of success of club support, resident support and local business support.

I don't know what to say. Not a single dime of trail money has ever gone anywhere near our road service area.
    That one did for management purposes. I should know. I secured the grant, and I was a member of the board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast