Thread: How to find where guides are set up

Default How to find where guides are set up

Hey there, folks. I'm planning a spring hunt on state land and I'd like to make sure I'm not going to get dropped into a guiding operation. Any idea of where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Hey there, folks. I'm planning a spring hunt on state land and I'd like to make sure I'm not going to get dropped into a guiding operation. Any idea of where to start?
    Thank you for your consideration of other hunters! Contact the State of Alaska's Big Game Commercial Services Board. HERE'S A LINK to get you started.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks, Mike. No problem. If there is an operation in there, I believe I and the guides/clients want the same thing: space.

Just sent an email to the board. Thanks again.

deacon, you will find vague info there. guides on state land might have a base camp registered under there land use permit, but it won't say anything about spike camp operations. depending on who is working the area your headed into, and i'm sure someone is in some sense, they might have several spike camps out and about. some are in different locations from year to year as well. For example my base camp is registered on kodiak island, but i do all spike camp operations in the other areas i work. No one knows where those camps excatly are expect my pilots.
    i tell everyone when planning a drop hunt of some sort, always have a plan B, if theres a camp there already, guide or otherwise its nice to have another plan already set up. so you don't feel discouraged right off the bat. alaskas big, but not that big. certian areas are accessible and some aren't.If you do have to land somehwere and there is another camp there, go right over and chat with them, talk about whats going on and see if you the two camps can figure out a way to make the area work for both of them. just because theres someone else there don't mean your hunt is over.

Best bear i ever had a client kill was when two resident hunter flew into the bay i was working, we stared at each other for several days, about 800 yards apart. Little did they know the riivers were all on private land that i had land use permission for, luckly they got their bear in a spot that was public land. We finally did talk to them, after their pick up flight buzzed their camp and left, my client and i decided we had better walk over and make sure things were ok and see if they needed to use the sat phone. talk about awkard...theres more to the awkwardness i won't get into. my client was pretty frustrated. i told him, lets go deer hunting today, best way to find bears is to hunt deer. we hadnt gone 30 min and saw the bear we ended up killing about six hours later. ( 10'6") everything happens for a reason, might not be pretty or how we planned it. just roll with it and see what happens before you give up on something.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Also just because there are what appears to be a lot of tents and blue tarps.......does not mean there are any hunters. We would go in three days or even a week early and set-up 6 or 8 or 10 fake-camps on a lake or a bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Thanks, Mike. No problem. If there is an operation in there, I believe I and the guides/clients want the same thing: space.

Just sent an email to the board. Thanks again.
    Reinforcing what Jake said here... I usually tell my do-it-yourself hunters to contact the state, find out who is working a given Guide Use Area, then contact the guide service personally to talk this stuff out. Nobody likes ending up on top of someone else. I should have mentioned calling them in my earlier post...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Well, I know a guy that would fly look for unoccupied camps, and use them. He also used to have some great garage sales, lots of tents and tarps.

Thanks for the thoughts and insight. There's only one guide registered in the area and I immediately called them. No spring hunts planned! Thanks again for the help.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Lol now everyone wants to know where your headed!!
    Master guide 212

Once you get the names of guides in the general are from the BGCSB you could contact the guides individually. I've never had a problem with DIY hunters in the area I guide in, but I would really appreciate it if someone in your situation contacted me first in order to coordinate our activities.
    If everyone was as considerate as it appears you are things would sure be a lot better. No one likes to run into other hunters out in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Lol now everyone wants to know where your headed!!
    I'm trying to AVOID more traffic, haha.

If you're flying in then your problem is solved. No air taxi is going to drop you too close to a guide's operation.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    If you're flying in then your problem is solved. No air taxi is going to drop you too close to a guide's operation.
    I was under the impression that this was a problem and not a solution. An air taxi should take a hunter where he wants to go.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I was under the impression that this was a problem and not a solution. An air taxi should take a hunter where he wants to go.
    Many transporters have a business relationship with a guide or guides. That trumps Joe Local's desires despite the two years of exhaustive research.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Not necessarily the case. A couple years ago I had two clients and we were tucked into a little place that held a few really big moose. We spent a couple of days trying to coax the bulls into an area where we could salvage them. On the fourth evening day of our hunt, an air transporter out of Palmer [whom I won't mention] happened to fly over one and saw two of the bulls. Within 36 hours he deposited two Beaver-loads of hunters on either side of us and within half mile (either side). The hunt then became a "competition". What a fiasco. Absolutely no moral ethic or professional ethic, whatsoever. Needless to say, nobody killed anything.

maverick...thats a common story i think. i think if sheep cant be spotted from the air, moose shouldn't be able to either. i see no difference.
    Master guide 212

Many transporters have a business relationship with a guide or guides.
    "Many" or maybe "some" for sure, but not nearly all. Back in the day I used to see plenty of them drop hunters on top of hunters all over the Mulchatna drainage for caribou....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    An air taxi should take a hunter where he wants to go.
    This is only true if the AIR taxi can safely land where the hunter wants to go. Both guides and air taxis have places they know they can safely get in and out of.
    I'm not convinced that anyone can reliably predict where other hunters may or may not be come hunting season.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!