Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 278

Thread: 12.5% Fisheries Royalty Tax

  1. #1

    Default 12.5% Fisheries Royalty Tax

    So who is this joker up in Wasilla?
    http://www.legis.state.ak.us/PDF/29/Bills/SB0198A.PDF

  2. #2
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    So who is this joker up in Wasilla?
    http://www.legis.state.ak.us/PDF/29/Bills/SB0198A.PDF
    tvfinak, in real life?
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    So who is this joker up in Wasilla?
    http://www.legis.state.ak.us/PDF/29/Bills/SB0198A.PDF
    He is a very vindictive person who represents what I hate about some in the Republican party. He knows this will not pass but is just trying to put it to others in his own party and the commercial fishing industry because he was upset about the Board of Fish nomination of Roland Maw and Robert Ruffner. So now he takes his venom and spreads it statewide. I hope the sane people down in Juneau kick his you know what.

  4. #4

    Default

    COMMERCIAL CREWMEMBER LICENSE Annual License $60.00 Resident, $277.00 nonresident.
    What other revenue does the state collect from the fleet?

  5. #5

    Default

    extrema,

    How much does the state collect from any worker here in Alaska? Last I checked, we don't have a state income tax. BTW, we do pay a 3% fisheries enhancement tax here in SE. CFEC fees too, and vessel registration fees.

    Trying to compare a fleet of individual fisherman who are small business owners to the oil industry is insane.

  6. #6

    Default

    Extrema, fisheries are taxed at corporate/processor level. The fisheries landing tax is shared with the coastal communities. This bill is being pushed by a KRSA lackey and would likely fail a constitutional test. If it comes out of committee, which seems unlikely.

  7. #7

    Default

    Also, limited entry permit fees are based on the value of the fishery. If you peruse the cfec website, you'll notice quite a disparity in the cost to renew a limited entry permit.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Why not?

    Nope- not me.

    But I do agree the rest of the residents in Alaska should benefit significantly from the fish caught in Alaska waters - not just the coastal communities. Seems like the fishing communities are all too happy to share in the oil revenues, but very reluctant to share in the bounties of the fish they catch in Alaska waters.

    Why not place a significant tax on the fish caught and share it with the rest of the state? After all - the fish belong to ALL of us Alaskans!




    Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    tvfinak, in real life?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Nope- not me.

    But I do agree the rest of the residents in Alaska should benefit significantly from the fish caught in Alaska waters - not just the coastal communities. Seems like the fishing communities are all too happy to share in the oil revenues, but very reluctant to share in the bounties of the fish they catch in Alaska waters.

    Why not place a significant tax on the fish caught and share it with the rest of the state? After all - the fish belong to ALL of us Alaskans!
    Oh, I'll bet you do benefit significantly. Unless you don't fish at all. Turns out this is a two-way street. So say a 12.5% royalty on commercial landed fish was passed. Do you think these politicians would still feel it is in Alaska's best interest to allow you to scoop them up in a net virtually for free?

    Not only do I think that it is inappropriate to tax commercial fishing without also taxing usage of the resource on the sport side, I think it is in everyone's best interest to keep things balanced. I would be much more favor some sort of excise tax on all fish landed in Alaskan waters and shipped elsewhere commercial AND sport. Or simply an overall income tax, but this must not play well with Dunleavey's constituents.

    http://www.kfsk.org/2016/03/01/fishi...-this-session/

    Apparently, Dunleavy doesn't expect the bill to go anywhere, he just wanted to "start a conversation". I thought it was a good point that this would basically amount to paying another crew share for a lot of boats/sites. But yet, the crew share which goes to an out-of-state resident would still not be taxed...?

    I appreciate people wanting to start a conversation on taxes. It's just too bad it has to be done in a partisan way rather than thinking big picture.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Nope- not me.

    But I do agree the rest of the residents in Alaska should benefit significantly from the fish caught in Alaska waters - not just the coastal communities. Seems like the fishing communities are all too happy to share in the oil revenues, but very reluctant to share in the bounties of the fish they catch in Alaska waters.

    Why not place a significant tax on the fish caught and share it with the rest of the state? After all - the fish belong to ALL of us Alaskans!
    Actually, all of Alaska does benefit from the commercial fishing sector. This little thing called equal protection will ensure that my income is not singled out for taxation in any manner that differs from non-commercial fishing income. This bill is DOA, FYI.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Oh, I'll bet you do benefit significantly. Unless you don't fish at all. Turns out this is a two-way street. So say a 12.5% royalty on commercial landed fish was passed. Do you think these politicians would still feel it is in Alaska's best interest to allow you to scoop them up in a net virtually for free?

    Not only do I think that it is inappropriate to tax commercial fishing without also taxing usage of the resource on the sport side, I think it is in everyone's best interest to keep things balanced. I would be much more favor some sort of excise tax on all fish landed in Alaskan waters and shipped elsewhere commercial AND sport. Or simply an overall income tax, but this must not play well with Dunleavey's constituents.

    http://www.kfsk.org/2016/03/01/fishi...-this-session/

    Apparently, Dunleavy doesn't expect the bill to go anywhere, he just wanted to "start a conversation". I thought it was a good point that this would basically amount to paying another crew share for a lot of boats/sites. But yet, the crew share which goes to an out-of-state resident would still not be taxed...?

    I appreciate people wanting to start a conversation on taxes. It's just too bad it has to be done in a partisan way rather than thinking big picture.
    Dunleavy is a tool and lackey for KRSA. Plain and simple.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default how about some equal distribution?

    Check out how the taxes collected from commercial fishing are distributed - 1/2 go to the fishing communities and only 1/2 go into the general funds to fund the benefits for all Alaskans.

    So the fishing communities get half off the top and then a portion of the other half.

    You can find all this in the AK revenue report - I'll dig out the source and post it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Seinerman View Post
    Actually, all of Alaska does benefit from the commercial fishing sector. This little thing called equal protection will ensure that my income is not singled out for taxation in any manner that differs from non-commercial fishing income. This bill is DOA, FYI.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Check out how the taxes collected from commercial fishing are distributed - 1/2 go to the fishing communities and only 1/2 go into the general funds to fund the benefits for all Alaskans.

    So the fishing communities get half off the top and then a portion of the other half.

    You can find all this in the AK revenue report - I'll dig out the source and post it.
    Local communities and local governments also provide essential services for people - often more efficiently than big government.

  14. #14

    Default

    As I said. All Alaskans benefit. Areas completely unrelated to commercial fishing get half the landing tax. Other taxes are paid as airport and other taxes. Plus, corporate income taxes on every company that handles the fish. You're trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. If you look at the disproportionate spending in urban areas, this landing tax just evens the playing field.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default of course there is...

    Not sure what you mean by "level the playing field" - of course there is disproportionate spending on urban areas - that is where the majority of the people in Alaska live! If I recall the recent figures, about half of the people in AK live in the Anchorage and Mat-SU areas alone. We don't have a state income tax yet, but when we do, you can bet about 95% of the income taxes will be paid by people living in urban areas.

    The fish belong to all Alaskan - divide the landing tax based on population only. Likewise for all state spending - and federal too for that matter- if you want to live in a non-urban area and enjoy urban benefits like high speed internet and fresh food at urban area costs- tough!


    Quote Originally Posted by Seinerman View Post
    As I said. All Alaskans benefit. Areas completely unrelated to commercial fishing get half the landing tax. Other taxes are paid as airport and other taxes. Plus, corporate income taxes on every company that handles the fish. You're trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. If you look at the disproportionate spending in urban areas, this landing tax just evens the playing field.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "level the playing field" - of course there is disproportionate spending on urban areas - that is where the majority of the people in Alaska live! If I recall the recent figures, about half of the people in AK live in the Anchorage and Mat-SU areas alone. We don't have a state income tax yet, but when we do, you can bet about 95% of the income taxes will be paid by people living in urban areas.

    The fish belong to all Alaskan - divide the landing tax based on population only. Likewise for all state spending - and federal too for that matter- if you want to live in a non-urban area and enjoy urban benefits like high speed internet and fresh food at urban area costs- tough!
    Wow. And when there is a state income tax, I'll be paying my fair share out of my fishing income. If you want to fish, get a permit and go. Nobody is stopping you. No need to be a hater. We are a very major part of the AK economy. This state would be far worse off than it is now without the commercial fishing sector.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Oh, I'll bet you do benefit significantly. Unless you don't fish at all. Turns out this is a two-way street. So say a 12.5% royalty on commercial landed fish was passed. Do you think these politicians would still feel it is in Alaska's best interest to allow you to scoop them up in a net virtually for free?

    Not only do I think that it is inappropriate to tax commercial fishing without also taxing usage of the resource on the sport side, I think it is in everyone's best interest to keep things balanced. I would be much more favor some sort of excise tax on all fish landed in Alaskan waters and shipped elsewhere commercial AND sport. Or simply an overall income tax, but this must not play well with Dunleavey's constituents.

    http://www.kfsk.org/2016/03/01/fishi...-this-session/

    Apparently, Dunleavy doesn't expect the bill to go anywhere, he just wanted to "start a conversation". I thought it was a good point that this would basically amount to paying another crew share for a lot of boats/sites. But yet, the crew share which goes to an out-of-state resident would still not be taxed...?

    I appreciate people wanting to start a conversation on taxes. It's just too bad it has to be done in a partisan way rather than thinking big picture.

    Just a point of clarification. There is certainly some partisanship, but there are allies to the sport and commercial fisheries on both sides. Let's not forget that. More than partisanship, it appears to be more of an urban vs. rural divide on these issues.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Just a point of clarification. There is certainly some partisanship, but there are allies to the sport and commercial fisheries on both sides. Let's not forget that. More than partisanship, it appears to be more of an urban vs. rural divide on these issues.
    Agreed - I meant partisan as to the sport/commercial "battle" that some insist on fighting, not political parties.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "level the playing field" - of course there is disproportionate spending on urban areas - that is where the majority of the people in Alaska live! If I recall the recent figures, about half of the people in AK live in the Anchorage and Mat-SU areas alone. We don't have a state income tax yet, but when we do, you can bet about 95% of the income taxes will be paid by people living in urban areas.

    The fish belong to all Alaskan - divide the landing tax based on population only. Likewise for all state spending - and federal too for that matter- if you want to live in a non-urban area and enjoy urban benefits like high speed internet and fresh food at urban area costs- tough!
    What happens when you decide to drive to Kenai and get a chapped bum from squatting in the woods cause the rest areas are closed? Can't spend any money the pass - no one lives there! Or OMG what if you didn't get cell service for part of the trip?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default some would be...

    Some in the state would obviously be worse off with out a commercial fishing sector. However, others like the sport fishing, tourism, and the general population that sport fish and dip net would be better off. The whole river eco systems would benefit immensely but it is hard to put a price tag on that benefit- some would call it priceless.

    It is not a black and white issue - while the commercial fishing industry does help some portion of the population of the state, it is also a financial burden for both the state and federal government, and it pays almost nothing into the AK general revenue fund.


    Quote Originally Posted by Seinerman View Post
    Wow. And when there is a state income tax, I'll be paying my fair share out of my fishing income. If you want to fish, get a permit and go. Nobody is stopping you. No need to be a hater. We are a very major part of the AK economy. This state would be far worse off than it is now without the commercial fishing sector.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •