Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katmai

Default Katmai

Hi,

We are from Switzerland and coming to Alaska this August. We would like to do an outdoor-camping trip to the Katmai coast for several days. Since we have outdoor experience we decided to do this preferably not guided, but we are not familiar with the Katmai area and it is hard for us to decide for a good and nice camping location to fly in with the air-taxi. Can someone give assistance with fixing a location? I am also wondering how crowded places like Hallo Bay and Geographic are? There seem to be a lot of tour companies that fly people too this places. We would prefer a certain solitude.

The other thin is, we are not familiar with bear encounters I checked with Katmai NPS and got this answer:
    Katmai's Pacific coast harbors some of the highest densities of brown bears on earth. Depending on where you go, you are likely to encounter many bears. While there is no prerequisite experience required for a trip to the coast, you should try to learn as much as possible about brown bears, prepare mentally for bear encounters before you visit, and know how to keep your campsite clean and free of odors that can attract bears. A good place to start your research is Katmai's bear safety pages. Guides are not required, but if you don't have much experience around bears then a guide can provide a high level of knowledge and experience to make your trip safer and more enjoyable.

I would highly recommend using an electric fence during your trip. While fences are not "bear-proof" they are an effective way to deter bears from your tent. However, a clean campsite (with little to no attractive odors) is more important than an electric fence. We also recommend that you carry bear spray.
    So with good preparation we should be OK or are there different opinions?

Hallo is about the most crowded place in Katmai besides Brooks. If I were you I'd call your air taxi and tell them what you want……no crowds. Go somewhere that isn't named all over the Katmai website or www.
    Good Luck. Katmai is awesome.

Have you considered rafting the Aniakchak river from surprise crater to the ocean? Spectacular trip. http://www.nps.gov/ania/planyourvisit/rafting.htm

Are the numerous bears going to allow you your solitude? What are you going to do while you are camping and at the same time discovering that some bear with a bad attitude doesn't want you in his fishing area? You seem to be more concerned about other tourist, what is your plan if a pissed-off bear destroys your camp?

Threadwell tamed those bears... all but one anyway.

I dropped a family off to camp at Hallo Bay last summer (sometime in August I think) and they were the only ones around other than the Park Rangers. The bear viewing shifts away from Hallo Bay as the season goes on. Hallo is beautiful because you have the meadow and the glacier there. That being said, there are plenty of other bays and lakes where you could find solitude. I would look at Kinak Bay (just North of Geographic Harbor) and also Dakavak Lake (just South of Geographic Harbor.) PM me if you want some more info.

PM Sent!.....

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    And there...lies the problem. All it takes is is one. I remember the couple camping on the Hulahula River a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    He "thought" he had those bears tame, but as we know any one of them could have taken him out at any given time. One was just higher up on the hierarchy than the rest.

I have to wonder if poor Timmy ever had the thought run across his mind in his last moments about him saying that to "die for them" wasn't as romantic as he thought it would have been...??? Did anybody ever see his interview with David Letterman? After that, people pretty much realized it was only a matter of time.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for the serious answers and I am absolutely concerned about bears. That is why I am asking about different opinions than NPS, who says that no prior experience is needed.

I don't mind some peoples around but I was concerned that places like Hallo are really crowded.

Those bears can do a whole lot of damage in an amazingly short period of time. So far I've been able to dissuade the few that charged me from doing more with firearms. Not a particularly pleasant situation to be in. A Japanese photographer I knew, was dragged out of his tent over on the Kamchatka Peninsula and eaten! I don't like bears that do that...

Electric fence with a solar charger for the battery will help you rest at night. Back it up with a rifle or shotgun.
    How big is your camping party?

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    Electric fence with a solar charger for the battery will help you rest at night. Back it up with a rifle or shotgun.
    How big is your camping party?
    We are 3 adults and yes, we will get a electric fence for sure. We have guns for our Alaska trip but we are not sure, if we we should take them with us, for this part of the trip, because of the restrictions in National Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissGuy View Post
    We are 3 adults and yes, we will get a electric fence for sure. We have guns for our Alaska trip but we are not sure, if we we should take them with us, for this part of the trip, because of the restrictions in National Parks.
    The last I knew, no firearms of any kind are allowed in National Parks . . .

You may now carry a concealed firearm in a NP as long as state laws are followed. There is no concealed carry license requirement in Alaska. All that being said, you still can't fire it in the NP. Heaven help you if you use it.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/g...rshotmay10.htm

Last I heard it ended with no citations.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    http://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/g...rshotmay10.htm

Last I heard it ended with no citations.
    link no worky....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Link workys when I click on it.

Google denali park bear shot. Or the like...
    Summary- First year they allowed carry. Maybe second. Dude shot charging grizz. Feds Investigated etc etc. Dude and friend lived, dead bear had no comment, no charges filed.

If there is any place where I would most recommend a bear gun it would be coastal Katmai. Arms are now allowed in NP just not inside their buildings that are placarded "no firearms allowed. "

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    You may now carry a concealed firearm in a NP as long as state laws are followed. There is no concealed carry license requirement in Alaska. All that being said, you still can't fire it in the NP. Heaven help you if you use it.
    Is it concealed only or open as well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast