Thread: ruger hawkeye alaskan stainless

Talking ruger hawkeye alaskan stainless

for those of you looking for one there is one available on( gun broker.com)

does anyone know with certainty if this new version of the rifle is made from stainless steel or just has a stainless colored coating???

I keep seeing conflicting information on this ...

thanks ...

I looked at one the other day. I had the same question, something seemed odd about the finish...There was not real advantage compared to my regular M77MKII stainless all weather...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

The one I looked at WAS Stainless. The finish has changed on Ruger Stainless rifles, just like the Hawkeye the stainless isn't shiny like it was on the Ruger's of years past its now a subdued stainless. Lots of people complained about the shiny stainless being to reflective so they made the change,or so I am told.

The Hawkeye stainless rifles have the new matte finish.

I talked with Rugers technical staff about this and they assured me that the Alsakan in Alaska black or stainless finish is the same gun throughout. Stainless steel receiver and barrel. The alaska black finish was outsourced (their word) and the company had trouble meeting the contract (?). Either they couldn't keep up with the demand or there was a problem with it. A bigger problem for Ruger was Hogue's inablility to meet the demand for the Alaskan stocks. A Ruger rep told me that "they (Ruger) were having trouble with the finish so they went to the stainless finish". The finish is/was some kind of baked on polymer. They still catalog both and I think plan to make both plain and black.

This new stainless finish is like the stainless bolt on the African model. A sand blasted or bead blasted finish and is very subdued and non-reflective. I'm told by Ruger it is the same steel of the Ruger M77 mk II all-weather rifles.
    I would prefer some kind of durable black finish like the Alaska black but I'll take the stainless that I have. This gun is definately stainless steel, barrel, receiver, all metal parts.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I would prefer some kind of durable black finish like the Alaska black but I'll take the stainless that I have. This gun is definately stainless steel, barrel, receiver, all metal parts.
    I just take my M77 allweather out of the stock and spray everything except the trigger.( which I tape off with blue paint tape)

Scopes can be painted or not but I reccommend you think hard about the choice as I have a leupold that is permanent green since the paint came off after years of use but the zinc oxide clung like crazy. I really don't mind since I use all my guns hard and don't have a "pretty" prima donna in the bunch.

I do a base coat of zinc oxide (its green)that can be gotten in aerosol cans from most boating stores or hardware stores.

Zinc oxide is corrosion resistant and acts like a primer for stainless and other non ferous metals like aluminum to make paint stick.

Then I use rustoleum paint to seal it and do whatever I want looks wise which used to involve camo patterns but has been just plain white or black the last 2 times.

After a hard drop or long hunt and you find scratches just touch it up again with a few sprays and your done.

jedi

I talked with Rugers technical staff about this and they assured me that the Alsakan in Alaska black or stainless finish is the same gun throughout. Stainless steel receiver and barrel. The alaska black finish was outsourced (their word) and the company had trouble meeting the contract (?). Either they couldn't keep up with the demand or there was a problem with it. A bigger problem for Ruger was Hogue's inablility to meet the demand for the Alaskan stocks. A Ruger rep told me that "they (Ruger) were having trouble with the finish so they went to the stainless finish". The finish is/was some kind of baked on polymer. They still catalog both and I think plan to make both plain and black.

This new stainless finish is like the stainless bolt on the African model. A sand blasted or bead blasted finish and is very subdued and non-reflective. I'm told by Ruger it is the same steel of the Ruger M77 mk II all-weather rifles.

thanks for the info Murphy ... I was going off of their marketing materials (pdf link) ... they list the black model as non-stainless ... hmmm ... yet both have the same retail price ... the coating must cost as much as the stainless steel premium then???

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...KM77RSPHHM.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by HMT View Post
    thanks for the info Murphy ... I was going off of their marketing materials (pdf link) ... they list the black model as non-stainless ... hmmm ... yet both have the same retail price ... the coating must cost as much as the stainless steel premium then???

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...KM77RSPHHM.pdf
    Well, you got me questioning the information I gave out and I thought I had a reliable source(s). Ruger reps and customer service reps.

I called Ruger customer service, again, today to complain about my African model again (more later) and spoke with customer service rep, Tina, in New Hampshire. Tina left me on hold for a while to "go and find out" The Alaskan model of rifles are; HM77RSPHHM Stainless finish, is made of 400 series stainless steel. Same old Ruger S/S, with a new finish.
    The Alaskan model HM77RSPHAB (Alaskan Black) is made of 4140 Chrome-Moly (carbon) steel not stainless, with a black matte finish. So much for my initial info. I had never seen anything in print about the actual steel used, so I asked the wrong people and got the wrong answers. I have a stainless finished Alaskan and would rather have the black finish. I don't believe stainless is needed in any rifle and never liked the softer barrel steel.

As for the cost I'd say the stainless cost no more than the C/M and the matte finish of the S/S or the polymer finish on the C/M would also be about the same. Companies charge more for stainless to add numbers to the profit column. I've got to get rid of this hogue stock, gota McM coming.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

thanks Murphy ...

I have seen lots of mistakes in marketing materials so never know what to believe ...

Quote Originally Posted by HMT View Post
    thanks Murphy ...

I have seen lots of mistakes in marketing materials so never know what to believe ...
    such as this link for the special stocked hawkeyes in 30-06 and 270 ... both models are listed as alloy regardless of finish ...

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...ts/HM77RBH.pdf

oh well ... guess that is why they have customer service departments ...

Murphy,
    Where are you getting the new stock from? I would like to change out the hoge also. Will MkII stocks fit, or do I have to go after a Hawkeye stock, or is the Alaskan model unique to its self? Thanks for any information.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Murphy,
    Where are you getting the new stock from? I would like to change out the hoge also. Will MkII stocks fit, or do I have to go after a Hawkeye stock, or is the Alaskan model unique to its self? Thanks for any information.
    I'd get a McMillan stock for that rifle. www.mcmfamily.com is the website. Best aftermarket stocks on the market, IMO. All of my rifles are stocked in a McMillan except for my 375 Ruger Alaskan (Hogue stock on it).

Default Ruger hawkeye alaskan stainless

Regarding the Hawkeye Alaskan. A week ago Saturday I walked into MT. View Sports and couldn't believe my eyes. They had 2 Hawkeye Alaskan in the rack, one in bead blasted stainless, and one in a black coated finish. I immediately coughed up the cash for the bead blasted dull stainless one as it was by far the better looking of the two (my opion, dull enough not to reflect light). Mt. View's staff assured me that the black finished one was the same stainless steel underneath. With the 20" barrel the rifle balanced exactly like my Mark ll 77 .338's that have been chopped down to 20". Really like the gun, now if it came with the NECG Receiver Sight and a barrel band sling swivel Ruger would have gotten just right. Also got 40 rounds of ammo, 100 empty cases, but am looking for dies.
    Once every 10 years or so I get lucky is all I can say. I hope they bring the rifle out in a .338 soon too, it is a sweet rifle for up here.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSam View Post
    Regarding the Hawkeye Alaskan. A week ago Saturday I walked into MT. View Sports and couldn't believe my eyes. They had 2 Hawkeye Alaskan in the rack, one in bead blasted stainless, and one in a black coated finish. I immediately coughed up the cash for the bead blasted dull stainless one as it was by far the better looking of the two (my opion, dull enough not to reflect light). Mt. View's staff assured me that the black finished one was the same stainless steel underneath. With the 20" barrel the rifle balanced exactly like my Mark ll 77 .338's that have been chopped down to 20". Really like the gun, now if it came with the NECG Receiver Sight and a barrel band sling swivel Ruger would have gotten just right. Also got 40 rounds of ammo, 100 empty cases, but am looking for dies.
    Once every 10 years or so I get lucky is all I can say. I hope they bring the rifle out in a .338 soon too, it is a sweet rifle for up here.

Great find there. They are nice rifles. I second the bb swivel point rather than the forend. You can get a backup aperature sight for the Ruger rear base, several different makers. your don't like that shallow "V"? I can't handle the stock.

The 338 that they bring it out in will be the 338 Ruger. That 375 necked down to 338. Should be a good one. Smaller than a RUM, bigger than the 338 Win.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Murphy,
    Just ordered it directly from McMillan. The receivers are the same as the old Mk II but the barrel contour is different (I guess) so I gave them barrel diameters under the forend area. Oh yeah, a credit card number. I think she said, 8-10 weeks wait.

The 338 that they bring it out in will be the 338 Ruger. That 375 necked down to 338. Should be a good one. Smaller than a RUM, bigger than the 338 Win.
    Think I will pass and wait for the day when they neck it up to.416 or bigger.

???? So I'm confused guys. Is that stainless steel under the "diamond coat" black finish (as I was promised) or carbon. Is it time to break out the magnet?
    Dave

oops, dupe. quick fingers..slow connection.