Thread: DM211 - Any tips or advice?

Default DM211 - Any tips or advice?

Drew a party tag for DM211. If anyone has hunted this and has any pointers or suggestions for either the Portage or 20 Mile Rivers, we would love to hear it.

Thanks!

There are lots of islands with thick walls of alders surrounding them. Most are open in the middle. You will not be able to see into most of the islands from the rivers. You'll need to park your boat and make your way through the jungle walls. I've never hunted moose down there but I've run into moose on average once or twice during duck season. Both rivers are shallow and will require a jet or airboat to get very far up. Using the train to Spencer Glacier and floating out the Placer is an early season option. Good luck!

Please, if you hunt from the highway please respect the duck hunters trying to decoy ducks. Nothing is more frustrating than ducks flaring due to moose hunters marching across the marsh.

Will not be hunting from the highway. Will be running a jet boat. I had not considered the possibility of a float. Thanks for the info!

What type of boat will you be hunting out of?

A Thunderjet.

If it's an TJ inboard and the water is somewhat low for that time of year, unless it pi$$es rain and the water comes up significantly, it's not typically an "inboard boat" kinda river.. Not for very far anyways... A few miles up from the bridge maybe.. (Excluding SJ and Extreme Shallow inboard boats)..
    Even lightweight outboard type jon boats have sunk and/or tore up their bottoms on some of the can openers when the water was at good levels...

Have you ran that river or ever been up there before? Or just put in for the permit because it was close to town? Just curious..

Default DM211 - Any tips or advice?

My brother in law has this tag too. I know the drainage very well. It's been a tag I've wanted since I got a jet boat. Thunder jet and 20 mile equals stuck and mostly you have some new dents. You will be ok for acouple miles as soon river get back close to mountain and bends right. That's were it will be interesting in your boat.
    Not saying it can't be done cause it can. But there a risks that follows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

We hunted it a few years ago. We ran up 20 mile. We got about 5-7 miles up the bridge in my buddy's predator. Like someone said, you are going to have to get out of the boat and crawl the high banks and do some hiking. We saw two kills but never did see a moose. There are a lot of landmines throughout the river, definitely have to be careful. I would honestly go up there and camp on a gravel bar or bank. There are some HUGE swamps back there and you could sit and glass.

We also brought a ladder, which was actually super helpful for setting up on the edge of the bank and scouting the marshes/swamps.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Using the train to Spencer Glacier and floating out the Placer is an early season option.
    What? Since when have they let hunters ride the train and then let them off where they want? Have you done this or heard of others that have? If so, that's news to me....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Swampdonkey - I have been up the 20 mile river many times fishing for silvers, a few times during hunting season but not while in possession of a tag. I have actually drawn DM210 a few years ago, but was unable to run the river due to heavy rains and flooding that season. Our TJ is an inboard. If the water is low, we also have the option of running in an 18' G3 tunnel hulled john with an outboard jet, that I have been very far up the 20 mile in before. I have never been up the placer. Is it the same?

4merguide - I have heard of this a lot. They do not drop rafters just anywhere they want, but instead at a specific bridge that crosses the river. Check the rafting forum for more info on this.

J2theD - Thanks for the info. I have a full 4 weeks off work for hunting season this year, so I am hoping that patience will pay off.

I ran it a few times with a 17.5 Wooldridge alaskan and got pretty badly stuck, as Mike can assure you. I also took that same boat up a ways and helped a buddy with his cow tag many years ago. An inboard can make it a little ways up 20 mile, but you will miss out on a lot of river to hunt. An inboard will get you to where the two rivers meet up easy enough in a good water year. The glacial river is really boney and easy to get really messed up in. The clear river is easier to navigate, but still technical with a LOT of deadfall in the river. After the river meets the mountains it gets really skinny. My experience is that the jon boats are the ticket for that river. An 18ft will do ok, a 16 would be better. The placer side is pretty skinny water, small jon boats and airboats.

I put in for the hunt every year too. It is a good one, and relatively easy on logistics compared to other hunts. Just be sure to know the limitations of your boat, but that is always the case, so no news there.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What? Since when have they let hunters ride the train and then let them off where they want? Have you done this or heard of others that have? If so, that's news to me....

This train is only a "whistle stop" train. You can get off at Spencer Glacier or higher up at Grandview. It is not a "flag stop" train like the one out of Talkeetna.

I've taken the train in twice to Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop. I floated out in my 15' raft a few years ago and packrafts last summer. The only downer is you have to pay for the round trip even though you are only going one way on the train. There is nothing prohibiting hunters from riding the train. There are a bunch of other rules that the RR has that can effect your gear, but nothing limits your "activity". Take a fishing rod for silvers if you go the railroad route.

Take a look at the surrounding brush on the banks in the below pic. That is typical for all of that river.

Placer with a TJ is a no go!

Shallow and braided. Several years ago the USFS while putting i the whistle stop had a SJX or extreme shallow (I don't remember which) and they were hitting rocks daily. As I remember, they spent the night on the river and had EMS called.

20-mile is an option for the lower parts, if you know water. Otherwise take the Jon.

This coming from an old raft guide.
    Good Luck.

Opening day for this drawing today. We opted to hunt the end of the season instead of the beginning. Looks like all the rain in the region is going to have the 20 mile bursting at its seams.

If anyone hears or knows of any reports on the water levels/conditions or hunter success, please share.

Thanks!

Take a ladder to see over the brush.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.