Thread: Sheep hunting unit 11

Default Sheep hunting unit 11

Looking into Doing a Sheep hunt this august out of McCarthy, has any one hunted this area before? not looking for your secret sheep spot, but just looking to open up some discussion about the unit.

I hunted in that area a few years back (not sheep) and believe it or not the owner of the liquor store in Chitna was able to get me in contact with a few locals that had info. He knows everyone in the area, so if you are down there doing some scouting it wouldn't hurt to stop and shoot the bull, ask a few questions.

If your looking to hike in from the road, there are places to do so before you get to McCarthy. Look at the TOPO map and do some scouting, it's less than a 5 mile hike off the road to the sheep.

Just make sure you pay attention to Ahtna Lands and where preserve ends and park begins.

YES! We were told by a park ranger we could hunt an area, and along the way found park no hunting beyond this point. So double check everything!

was considering flying in, does any one have any advice between McCarthy air service and Wrangell mountain air?

Quote Originally Posted by npbowhunter View Post
    was considering flying in, does any one have any advice between McCarthy air service and Wrangell mountain air?
    I flew with Gary at McCarthy Air two years ago. Great pilot and someone I plan on flying with again.