Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Keeping bears outta camp; fences, moth balls?

For less than $100 my hunting partner and I built our own bear fence. 12 years run have not had a bear in camp. 1 did come and touch the fence and left a lot quicker that it came in.

This is a video that I did for my Wilderness survival and bushcraft YouTube channel. I made this fence because I frequently camp on a salmon river.

Used a fence in Kodiak a few years ago near the tail end of a late salmon run. Only problem we had was a deer getting tangled in the wire around 1am and kicking the **** out of the tent. Had fox stealing the stake/wire insulators. Only saw 1 bear that week, we were above him around 1000ft with 3 deer on the ground. Meat was cached in a smaller fence, no issues there. Moose camp...piss everywhere.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

We were blessed with a moose this opening morning. We set up camp 2 days before and was doing our piss fence all around camp and also by the meat poles. We got it all hung, cleaned and rain fly set up by evening and woke up to see that a bear came in and stole the whole bag of loose meat! it had chewed through the bag right at the hanging rope about 5' high. Cut it off like he pulled out his knife. A couple pieces of meat fell out but we never found the bag or our meat. The rest of the quarters were hanging there uncovered and we couldn't see a bite or claw mark. We ended up building a loft betwen the two meat poles and had the quarters 10' up and brought out the meat the next day. It was a first in over 20 years at this camp but now we are heading back in in a few days and I'm worried if we get another moose what to do. The loft worked good but I like the meat to hang until it sets up first. I might bring some pine-sol this time...

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    It was a first in over 20 years at this camp but now we are heading back in in a few days and I'm worried if we get another moose what to do. The loft worked good but I like the meat to hang until it sets up first. I might bring some pine-sol this time...
    The lightweight electric fences aren't too expensive and are small and easy to set up. It's no guarantee, but it might help.

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    We were blessed with a moose this opening morning. We set up camp 2 days before and was doing our piss fence all around camp and also by the meat poles. We got it all hung, cleaned and rain fly set up by evening and woke up to see that a bear came in and stole the whole bag of loose meat! it had chewed through the bag right at the hanging rope about 5' high. Cut it off like he pulled out his knife. A couple pieces of meat fell out but we never found the bag or our meat. The rest of the quarters were hanging there uncovered and we couldn't see a bite or claw mark. We ended up building a loft betwen the two meat poles and had the quarters 10' up and brought out the meat the next day. It was a first in over 20 years at this camp but now we are heading back in in a few days and I'm worried if we get another moose what to do. The loft worked good but I like the meat to hang until it sets up first. I might bring some pine-sol this time...
    Youre sure it was a bear and not a wolverine? Seems like a bear would have been noticeable.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Should have kept the meat in the tent with you so you could fight the bear for it.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by fish-hunter View Post
    Attachment 88697We made our own. Relatively cheap compared to commercially available unit and can make it as big or small as we want. Fiberglass poles, plastic insulators, 3 250' rolls of poly wire and an energizer that uses 6 d batteries. Takes about an hour to set up. Don't know if we ever needed it, but it helps us sleep better at night.
    Any chance you could list the details of the components of this system on here? I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Well bears and moose around here on the kenai go right through electric fence and and scents. Even had a moose kill a dog while the owner fired a gun at it. I just had a moose eat my apple trees through my 8000+ volts and i added three more wires to try and shock him next time. Or i am gonna have to use more extreme measures......
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    ….Or i am gonna have to use more extreme measures......
    Well Solly, it may not be life, but it sure is your property!...(yeah right, try telling that to the judge...."Well judge it's like this, I really love my apples....")….lol

Rubber bullets?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Addirional info is bear killed chickens while we had a house sitter cause we were on vacation and moose got apple trees and attacked wife while i was harvesting my tier 1 tag. Bear or moose comes while i am home will regret it...............they may get through 8000 volts but my shot gun says different.....
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234