Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping bears outta camp; fences, moth balls?

Bear fences seem to work, IMO. I use them on a personal basis when I think they are needed (camping with family, camping in areas with high bear numbers) and also during the course of my job (traveling with teens/environmental education camps). I also use one around game quarters/meat when in a remote setting to where I will be there a while. I have never had an issue with a bear coming into camp. Perhaps that's coincidence... perhaps not.

IMHO, you can put together a good fence for a fraction of the cost by buying the components separately on places like Amazon and eBay. That is what has worked for me.

On kodiak I use a bear fence. Everywhere else I urinate all around my tent, especially near foottrails (likely approaches). If meat is in camp, I'll pee all around the cache too. It's theoretical, but I've seen wolf males urinate on brush and a more dominant male go to the same bush and try to get his urine spray higher up on the veg to "top" his competitor. Taking that wisdom, i pee as high as possible on vegetation so that my scent is carried longer and farther by wind.

I've used moth balls too, and havent had a bear problem...could be coincidence. But as of the late 80's federal regulations forced manufacturers to use non-toxic chemicals in all US moth balls. Perhaps these chemicals wont harm predator or pray, but who knows how affects rodents and insects, not to mention sensitive vegetation.

LB

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I will say that moisture in the ground can affect how well it works though. If the ground is frozen and you don't get a good ground it can be ineffective. But if it's raining outside the bear will get a good jolt.
    Jack, you are correct grounding can be a problem. Whether it's dry ground, frozen ground, inadequate penetration, etc. The easy away around this is to run ground wires parallel with hot wires around the same perimeter. I alternate a positive and negative wire 6" apart all the way around and don't even mess with a ground. The animal must touch two wires simultaneously to get hit, but with a large critter this is not a problem.

I've used an electric fence while deer hunting on Kodiak and I can say they definitely work. We saw bears every day. Our camp was 50 yards from a salmon spawning ground. We regularly saw bears close to camp, and at night you could hear the bears come close to our tent to investigate. Once there noses hit the fence, they would get a shock and quickly bolt off to safety. I was surprised at how well it worked. I will say that moisture in the ground can affect how well it works though. If the ground is frozen and you don't get a good ground it can be ineffective. But if it's raining outside the bear will get a good jolt.
    Totally agree. Have had bears in camp on Kodiak and I don't know whether or not they actually touched the fence, but they tore everything up that was outside the fenced area and never came into the fenced area. Wet ground is a plus and it's also a good idea to make sure nothing is growing up/touching the fence causing it to ground out.

If you're having a difficult time justifying the cost of a good fence another idea is to just go in on it with a buddy or two. When three buddies and myself purchased our tent (probably 10 years or so ago), it ended up costing us about $50 each. Since the purchase, one buddy left state and between myself and the other two guys, it's never been an issue as to who gets to use it because we're usually hunting at different times or together.

I've only used one once - in the Brooks Range on a sheep hunt - but I think I'm going to invest in one this year so that I can leave an airplane behind without worrying about a bear chewing on my tires.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    If you're having a difficult time justifying the cost of a good fence another idea is to just go in on it with a buddy or two. When three buddies and myself purchased our tent (probably 10 years or so ago), it ended up costing us about $50 each. Since the purchase, one buddy left state and between myself and the other two guys, it's never been an issue as to who gets to use it because we're usually hunting at different times or together.
    Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've only used one once - in the Brooks Range on a sheep hunt - but I think I'm going to invest in one this year so that I can leave an airplane behind without worrying about a bear chewing on my tires.
    What? Did you buy an airplane now? You lucky son of a gun. Did you get a cub?

What? Did you buy an airplane now? You lucky son of a gun. Did you get a cub?
    Sort of. I've been flying for 16 years - all of that in a 172 up until the last year and a half. My father's cub has been sitting for a decade+. He told me that he'd sell it if I don't fly it, so...that was enough motivation to get after it! I don't technically have a cub, but I've got the next best thing - a key. Spoiled, I know, but I'm going to take full advantage while it's still in the family. Just upgraded the tires, have a belly pod on order, and have burned more avgas in the past year than I have in the last 10 combined. Sure has been fun thus far!

Sort of. I've been flying for 16 years - all of that in a 172 up until the last year and a half. My father's cub has been sitting for a decade+. He told me that he'd sell it if I don't fly it, so...that was enough motivation to get after it! I don't technically have a cub, but I've got the next best thing - a key. Spoiled, I know, but I'm going to take full advantage while it's still in the family. Just upgraded the tires, have a belly pod on order, and have burned more avgas in the past year than I have in the last 10 combined. Sure has been fun thus far!
    Not many things in my life cause me to envy as I've been blessed but Cubs........Cubs cause envy.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I hear leaving a little transistor radio playing all the time is supposed to work. I guess a guy would have to bring a lot of batteries with him tho if he plans on staying out there for awhile, or maybe have some kind of solar set up?
    Depends on what type of music. Country Western seems to draw them in. Must be all the whining and crying. Rock keeps them away.
    Marking camp (or your kill) works for me. It's what the critters do. You just gotta have piss that makes you smell like the badest dude in the jungle. It helps if you beat your chest and bellow out a tarzan yell while you piss. Works for me. Never had one in camp, or on my kill.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

The BEST airplane for hunting is..... Someone else's!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Go to animal food warehouse and you can by all the components and build your own fence for about half the price of the store bought set ups, and they sell the ones that run off D cell. 6vlt or 12vlt batteries that put out a full 10K volts. And you can taylor to the size of your camp based on the amount and type of wire you choose.
    I use mine for peace of mind, when I leave camp I am pretty confident I wont come back to a torn up tent and gear strewed across the country side and at night if something touches it, the "pop" sound will usually wake someone in the tent up.
    200 bucks is cheap compared to replacing tents, sleeping bags, cook gear, etc and like someone else said- ending your trip early.
    I run at least 4 wires, parallel hot and ground, then grounded through the ground so if you touch one wire you will get a jolt through the ground, but if you touch two or more at the same time you get the full 10K volts. AK has very poor ground for conducting so best to run multiple wires in parallel.
    Hope this helps.

Does anyone have link to solid instructions for a DIY kit?

I claim no expertise in the electric bear fence arena, but I did invest some time and money in making a pair for float hunting. The thread I posted in is here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ric-Bear-Fence

I think all told I paid about 70% of what an off-the-shelf unit cost. It sure isn't rocket science but there's a lot to be said to buying someone else's time and trouble rather than building it yourself.

The funny thing is I have yet to use this electric fence in the field. When setting up and breaking down camp on a daily basis it hasn't become a priority to include the electric fence in the daily list of chores. That will be much different if I'm in an area where bears are in evidence. That, or hunting out of a base camp. Then it would likely be worth the effort to clear out an area for putting up the fence and keeping it free of grasses that can cause a short.

There are several other threads on the forum about bear fences, both DIY and commercially made. I have no doubts that a curious bear that encounters the fence will be schooled very quickly to avoid it. One that is already bent on busting through will probably do so. The YouTube video mentioned is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv2G-aRDvyY

Fences work. Bee keepers use them when they have bears Terri g up their hives back home. I've see it work on Kodiak. We had one around our tent and we went off to fish. Comming back we saw a bear at camp so we hung back to see what would happen. He would crouch down and look under the fence and then back off. He never did touch the wire. I figured he could sense the energy. He walked all the way around camp. Satisfied we went and scared him off. Never had a problem. I do think that if a bear was determined that the fense isn't going to stop him but, it does stop the curious bear which I feel covers 99% of the bears

I bet he touched it before you came back to camp and was trying to figure out a way to get around it.
    I used an electric fence for 2 summers on the coast of Katmai. The fence worked great, as everyone else has said. Definitely worth the investment if bears in camp are a concern.

Supporting Member

If weight is not a problem one of the solar ones they use for cattle would be cheap. The low end ones go for less than $100.

I used one many years ago to keep deer out of a garden. My father in law was skeptical until he accidentally touched...........after that he was a believer!

Supporting Member

If weight is not a problem one of the solar chargers used for cattle would be cheaper. The low end ones go for less than $100, and the wire is cheap.

I used one many years ago to keep deer out of a garden. My father in law was skeptical until he accidentally touched it...........after that he was a believer!

My cabin is in high bear population area with a lot of baiters. The first summer we stayed in a tent and I left it up all summer. Came in the fall and finally had a visitor. Only time I have seen a bear at the property. I believe it just wandered in because not much was tore up. It did like the bug candles and spray. It did take the sealed bucket of dog food. My point is keep your area clean and don't set up camp on the bait and my bet is you will be fine. The Bears are going to go to the bait stations for food. I think the bait stations in my area keep them away from my cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKNUCLEARZR View Post
    MThe Bears are going to go to the bait stations for food. I think the bait stations in my area keep them away from my cabin.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is true for the area I'm thinking about. There are a couple of bait stations up that way and the blacks are probably headed there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast