Thread: Bullet Selection for Big Game, Bullet Performance, & How to Make a Killing Shot

Default Bullet Selection for Big Game, Bullet Performance, & How to Make a Killing Shot

I thought I'd post this diagram of some commonly used bullets and their performance. I've said it before and I'll say it again....the most important things for a killing shot in order are:

1. Shot placement (shooting a gun with recoil you can handle, having appropriate LOP, get a $70 trigger job, buy the best optics you can afford, only shoot when you are comfortable, PRACTICE A LOT or as much as possible)

2. Penetration (using a bullet with appropriate performance for the animal hunted allowing good weight retention to ensure enough mass for penetration, using an appropriately heavy bullet for your calibre to ensure enough mass for penetration)

3. Velocity (all else equal if you make a great shot and make a good bullet choice the faster the bullet moves the better within reason, of course the faster it does the more stout the bullet needs to be to hold up to impact and retain its weight)

I don't mean to be preachy. I just thought this might be useful to some forum members.

Brett

Hence I tend to use TSX for large game and Accubonds for medium game. IMHO they are best in class.

Brett

Great illustration.

My small circle has always been Remington Core-Lokt fans for factory ammo, albeit no one has any sort of "laser magnum". Always seem to do the job.

Thanks for posting this.