Thread: Eagle to Circle on a sea kayak

Default Eagle to Circle on a sea kayak

Based on reading the intraWebz it seems that the trip from eagle to Circle on a canoe can take five to six days (weather permitting). How quickly could it be done on a sea kayak while paddling at a comfy pace? I want to do it but I don't have a lot of free time.

How are you getting your seakayak to Eagle and then home from Circle?

The shuttle is the real challenge on that run. Current and early launches do the rest.

Hard to say how long to do without knowing your style of travel. Can you do 15 hour days? What is a long flat water day for your group?
    Strong paddlers could likely cut the days required estimate by 50% over the typical YMCA level paddler.

The current alone adds many miles daily. The long days are a big help. Avoid blisters, turn out early, and save time to see the roadhouse. Your only difficulty may be the 500+ mile shuttle. Innova inflatables and air taxi helped my plan. I talked to an outfitter two years ago who would haul private boats.

Mine is a skin on frame folding kayak. I'm hoping I can leave the car in Eagle and catch a plane with my gear from circle. How much could that plane be?

I'm probably doing this solo or with one more person.

Try Everts Air Cargo @ 907 450 2300. They run to Eagle in light aircraft and the FBK supervisor can approve a flag stop in Circle to pick you up.
    This has been a sub $ 300 ride in the past. Strait p135 air taxi dedicated to you might be roughly 3X that number.

Be sure to discuss dimensions and weight of your gear.

db...
    2 easy days or one loooong from the mouth of the Charley R to Circle floating.
    Wind can be nasty on the Yukon and set you back.
    This is the Yukon at the mouth of Charley River...
    yukon@charley.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by upstreamV View Post
    Try Everts Air Cargo @ 907 450 2300. They run to Eagle in light aircraft and the FBK supervisor can approve a flag stop in Circle to pick you up.
    This has been a sub $ 300 ride in the past. Strait p135 air taxi dedicated to you might be roughly 3X that number.

Be sure to discuss dimensions and weight of your gear.
    Everts flys the mail into Eagle, Warbelows flys the mail into Circle. Both are out of Fairbanks. No need for flag stop. Neither will haul a canoe. You will need a breakdown canoe or an inflatable.