Thread: Recommendation of Anchorage FFL to receive shipment from lower 48

Default Recommendation of Anchorage FFL to receive shipment from lower 48

Hi. I'm driving through Anchorage on the way to Seward this May. Numerous gun dealers are near Seward Highway and I'm wondering which to use to receive/ship my guns and sell me ammo. I'm in a 51 foot long truck/travel trailer rig so the closer to Seward Highway the easier it will be for me. I've never shipped guns to AK before and don't know if there is an advantage to using a big box, like Cabellas, that has a store on both ends. I'll likely ship from Seattle, Washington. In the past, I've had issues with big boxes, because they seem to hire sock and underware salespeople and stick them in the gun department, but I'd think Anchorage would be better, plus I'm not sure how hard this task is in the first place.

On advantage for me, if Cabellas is any good, would be that I could physically get into their parking lot with my rig.

Thanks

I'm sure somebody will direct you to a dealer that can handle the transfer but I wanted to point out a few things just incase you didn't know.

1. I'm guessing you are an out of state resident. You won't be able to pickup a pistol from a dealer so make sure you only ship long guns. If you are moving to AK you will have to wait until you change your residency to pick up any handguns.
    2. I would bring anything that is allowed by Canada with me, it's cheaper and simpler. The rules are on their website.
    3. If you have a destination address in AK it is perfectly legal to ship guns to yourself. Just make sure you address them to you and inform anybody on the receiving end that you are the only one that should open them.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmak View Post
    I'm sure somebody will direct you to a dealer that can handle the transfer but I wanted to point out a few things just incase you didn't know.

1. I'm guessing you are an out of state resident. You won't be able to pickup a pistol from a dealer so make sure you only ship long guns. If you are moving to AK you will have to wait until you change your residency to pick up any handguns.
    2. I would bring anything that is allowed by Canada with me, it's cheaper and simpler. The rules are on their website.
    3. If you have a destination address in AK it is perfectly legal to ship guns to yourself. Just make sure you address them to you and inform anybody on the receiving end that you are the only one that should open them.
    Are you sure on #1? I was told by a FFL dealer that it was perfectly fine for me to send a handgun that I already own to a different state.
    I have not researched if he was telling the truth yet, b/c we still have a few months before this scenario will be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Are you sure on #1? I was told by a FFL dealer that it was perfectly fine for me to send a handgun that I already own to a different state.
    I have not researched if he was telling the truth yet, b/c we still have a few months before this scenario will be needed.
    Yes. If it goes to a dealer he is going to have to do a 4473. If your state of residence is not the same as the state you are picking it up in the transaction will be denied. For the purpose of picking it up at an FFL you are acquiring the firearm. The fact that you owned it on the other end has no bearing on the transaction. See this link for what you are allowed to acquire out of state (shotguns and long guns) https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-an...-gca-any-state

It is possible the dealer misunderstood and thought you were going to ship to yourself. This is perfectly legal as long as you don't use the Postal Service because an unlicensed individual is not allowed to send handguns USPS.

Firearms Regulations are like the Alaska Peninsula weather...................It changes with great regularity.

What if I have a Florida carry license in which Alaska is a reciprocating state?

Quote Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post
    What if I have a Florida carry license in which Alaska is a reciprocating state?
    Doesn't matter. Your concealed carry can not be used to by-pass a NICS check out of state. Even if it could you would still have a 4473 that listed pistol and an out of state resident. As referenced above this is a no-go.

Here is the confusion and this is from ATF:

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Is a handgun not considered a firearm? I know that technically you can't go through USPS unless you are FFL, but using one of the common carriers, why not?

I called a couple FFL's in Anchorage, so correct, I can't pick up a pistol as a non-resident.

I'm trying to make sense of the option to ship the pistol to myself using a non-USPS carrier, like FedExp. I have zero interest in breaking the law, so I'm trying to determine if this is legal. I have ascertained that many folks ship pistols to themselves, care of someone else. I'm going to call FedExp and tell them exactly what I intend to ship. If I can't take the pistol, so be it, but what a cluster f........ to figure out something that should be simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Here is the confusion and this is from ATF:

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Is a handgun not considered a firearm? I know that technically you can't go through USPS unless you are FFL, but using one of the common carriers, why not?
    See option 3 I presented above. You can ship it to yourself. What you can not do is ship it to an FFL. They must log it in and then you can't receive it out of state. It is against the law to use USPS so don't do. There is no law that says you can't use one of the other common carriers, it may be against UPS or FedEx policy but it's not against the law.

Quote Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post
    I called a couple FFL's in Anchorage, so correct, I can't pick up a pistol as a non-resident.

I'm trying to make sense of the option to ship the pistol to myself using a non-USPS carrier, like FedExp. I have zero interest in breaking the law, so I'm trying to determine if this is legal. I have ascertained that many folks ship pistols to themselves, care of someone else. I'm going to call FedExp and tell them exactly what I intend to ship. If I can't take the pistol, so be it, but what a cluster f........ to figure out something that should be simple.

That's why I brought it up. Didn't want you to be standing in a gun shop in Anchorage and discover that you were going to have to pay to ship your pistol back to an FFL in your home state without ever taking possession of it.

As for shipping it with FedEx, their rules are right here: http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rule..._articles.html
    In a nutshell you must comply with federal law. If you are allowed to possess a pistol in Florida and allowed to possess one in Alaska then you can legally ship one to yourself (just not via USPS, this is a separate law dealing with sending concealable firearms through USPS).

See option 3 I presented above. You can ship it to yourself. What you can not do is ship it to an FFL. They must log it in and then you can't receive it out of state. It is against the law to use USPS so don't do. There is no law that says you can't use one of the other common carriers, it may be against UPS or FedEx policy but it's not against the law.
    Thanks for helping out. That does make good sense.

We will end up flying more than likely, so I won't need to deal with this.

To the OP, what is the purpose of your handgun?

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine. He drove from Anchorage to some place farther south to catch a ferry to Juneau. Had to go through Canada. He told me, he ended up leaving his 44 mag in the village and carried his 45-70 for a bear gun (whole purpose of carrying) since they were camping the whole way.