Thread: DE713 South West Afognak Cow Elk Hunt

Default DE713 South West Afognak Cow Elk Hunt

This is my first year applying for Draw Permits and me and a buddy won a party hunt for DE 713. We're working on researching as much as we can about the area and this hunt as we can. I was hoping to possibly get some info from folks that have hunted the area already. I know there is a large bear population on Afognak so we will prepare for that the best we can. I was hoping to find out some more info on public access and rights of way. From what I've found the Joint Venture private land is open to the public for hunting and fishing the native Corp land is not. Will I just need to ask permission and/or is a trespass permit required? Seems like there are some good trails established in SW Afognak so getting around should be fairly decent right? Would transport by boat or float plane be better? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to buy a permit from the Afognak Native Corporation to hunt native land there. There are some steep hills there to get up but once you are up there, it is "easy". Lots of Alders though.

Info on Afognak corp land use can be found here.www.afognak.com/lands/land-use-pe
    There is a fee for hunting elk there.

Hunted outa malina lakes a few years back. No native permit requires there. Saw 141 elk in one herd. About a dozen hunters, I was one of three that got elk. Be up early, glass high and go like crazy to beat others to the herd. Shoot straight and smart. We saw three bears, zero deer several fox and tons of fish. Wished I had a rod for the dollies and silvers that were in there. Was a fun hunt. Cow elk down there are huge. Like a cow moose.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I've heard that ADFG spreads the herds out before the rut and season open. We're planning spending 7 days in the field hunting and try and both get our cow Elk and hopefully able to get it out the field. Was thinking of the Melina lakes area because of the no permit but still debating that. I'd hate to not to get it and realize there are a lot of Elk in the Native Corp area. Definitely bringing fishing gear!!!

I worked on Afognak twice last year. Bring some leather gloves for hiking around due to the devil's club. It took two months for all the thorns to come out of my hands.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson5 View Post
    I've heard that ADFG spreads the herds out before the rut and season open. We're planning spending 7 days in the field hunting and try and both get our cow Elk and hopefully able to get it out the field. Was thinking of the Melina lakes area because of the no permit but still debating that. I'd hate to not to get it and realize there are a lot of Elk in the Native Corp area. Definitely bringing fishing gear!!!

How do you suppose that ADF&G "spreads the herds out" ? Maybe if I ever get a permit, I could get them to put a few on the beach for me!

Could be hear say IDK. A buddy said he was reading they fly out with a helicopter and move them around a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson5 View Post
    Could be hear say IDK. A buddy said he was reading they fly out with a helicopter and move them around a bit.

Doubtful. That would be considered "harassing game" which would be illegal; even if done by F&G.

I apologize if I got the thread off topic. I'm just looking to start a conversation on the getting out and around on Afognak to hunt Elk. Right now we're planning on getting flown out and hopefully around the Island one pass for a good recon of the area and dropped off on one of the lakes in the desired area. Planning on setting up camp near our drop off area and hike out daily from there to hunt.