Thread: Will it ever get here?

Default Will it ever get here?

I have been on a quest to find an nice old Mossberg bolt action 20 gauge. I have a couple of friends who swear that if you drill and tap the receiver, then mount a low power scope, then cut the barrel off just before the choke, then shoot Winchester Super x Forster slugs. If you do all of that you will have a slug gun that you won't want to part with.....ever.

Sometime back in the middle of February I found just such a gun on gunbroker. I purchased it and the seller was very prompt to get it shipped off to my FFL dealer in Grinnell Iowa. I got an email with the tracking number saying that it would be delivered 2/23. Well if you have a gander at the tracking info and understand that the shipping company has told me that all of my guns travels have been in the back of a truck and since they avoid toll roads all together that means that gun left Billings ,Montana head south and east. In doing so it traveled East down I80 and was 3 miles from the delivery address but zipped right on by and didn't stop until it had gone 300 miles too far east. It sat in Chicago for a couple of days thus missing the delivery date. I called the delivery company and my gun was back on the road headed back West down I80. However once again it went right on by The delivery address .......and then down I35 and then back West on I70 not stopping until it was in Oklahoma. The next day the gun traveled in another truck all the way to New Mexico. The next day my gun traveled into Commifornia and I kissed it good by. I called the delivery company again for about the 4th time asking why my gun was in California? The response was well sometimes that happens. I asked her if she would please make it unhappen and get the gun to Midwest Firearms in Grinnell Iowa soon. Well folk that was two days ago. The tracking info was just updated today and my gun is now back in Chicago. So for the third time it went down I80 right past the FFL delivery point and has overshot it's mark by 300 miles.

Guys you can't make stuff like this up. Here is the tracking info.........If I'm lying I'm dying. https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrack/?tracking numbers=702786910097286&cntry_code=us

If that address doesn't get you there just go to FedEx tracking and enter the tracking number 702786910097286 and have a gander. If that comes right straight here from Chicago it will have traveled 5,000 miles to go less than 1,000.

I get that a lot here on a island. If your gun gets there and its mod choke try it before cutting. Many of those old pressed swaged choked guns only have about a half inch of choke tops.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have been on a quest to find an nice old Mossberg bolt action 20 gauge. I have a couple of friends who swear that if you drill and tap the receiver, then mount a low power scope, then cut the barrel off just before the choke, then shoot Winchester Super x Forster slugs. If you do all of that you will have a slug gun that you won't want to part with.....ever.

Sometime back in the middle of February I found just such a gun on gunbroker. I purchased it and the seller was very prompt to get it shipped off to my FFL dealer in Grinnell Iowa. I got an email with the tracking number saying that it would be delivered 2/23. Well if you have a gander at the tracking info and understand that the shipping company has told me that all of my guns travels have been in the back of a truck and since they avoid toll roads all together that means that gun left Billings ,Montana head south and east. In doing so it traveled East down I80 and was 3 miles from the delivery address but zipped right on by and didn't stop until it had gone 300 miles too far east. It sat in Chicago for a couple of days thus missing the delivery date. I called the delivery company and my gun was back on the road headed back West down I80. However once again it went right on by The delivery address .......and then down I35 and then back West on I70 not stopping until it was in Oklahoma. The next day the gun traveled in another truck all the way to New Mexico. The next day my gun traveled into Commifornia and I kissed it good by. I called the delivery company again for about the 4th time asking why my gun was in California? The response was well sometimes that happens. I asked her if she would please make it unhappen and get the gun to Midwest Firearms in Grinnell Iowa soon. Well folk that was two days ago. The tracking info was just updated today and my gun is now back in Chicago. So for the third time it went down I80 right past the FFL delivery point and has overshot it's mark by 300 miles.

Guys you can't make stuff like this up. Here is the tracking info.........If I'm lying I'm dying. https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrack/?tracking numbers=702786910097286&cntry_code=us

If that address doesn't get you there just go to FedEx tracking and enter the tracking number 702786910097286 and have a gander. If that comes right straight here from Chicago it will have traveled 5,000 miles to go less than 1,000.
    holy cripes, and I thought UPS was bad.

When we lived in Nome a lot of our packages ended up going to AL before getting to AK but that was the post office.

Mossberg 20 ga bolt guns were not highly sought after when I was a kid. Neighbors had one and my Dad's Remington Sportsman put it to shame. However that is an interesting idea. I have tried to get the 1187 slug barrel to shoot and it isn't what I call accurate at 100 yards. Buddy has the Savage 220 that he is very happy with so I was going to try that. Might see if I can find an old Mossberg first!!! Good luck in your wayward shotgun, too bad it isn't getting credit, like frequent flyer miles????

EKC you may have to stand out along the road with a sign to get the truck to stop, heck take a can along and you might get some coin!

I think I saw some Browning bolt 20ga slug guns on closeout a month or so ago - I think they are dropping the line? Might save a lot of work pardner...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Well finally it got here. It ain't broke. It seems to be in perfect working order.

Will, it has a tight full choke. Regardless I'm going to shoot some slugs through it before I get out a pipe cutter. It's a real clean gun. This one was made by Mossberg for New Haven firearms. Here is a look
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=532019071

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Well finally it got here. It ain't broke. It seems to be in perfect working order.

Will, it has a tight full choke. Regardless I'm going to shoot some slugs through it before I get out a pipe cutter. It's a real clean gun. This one was made by Mossberg for New Haven firearms. Here is a look
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=532019071
    Nice lines on that gun.

I like the Lil rise on the comb.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

All ready has the rear sight. They do make fair to very good slug guns. The weak spot is the part of the action behind the bolt handle.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    All ready has the rear sight. They do make fair to very good slug guns. The weak spot is the part of the action behind the bolt handle.
    I can see how that would be. Lots of these old bolt actions don't have any front locking lugs so where the bolt cams down serves as the lug. This one actually has the bolt handle extend clear through the bolt and protrudes through the other side of the bolt where it also cams into the receiver. So in design it has two rear locking lugs.

This rascal barely weighs 6 lbs and since I just had my hand cut on I think I'll wait a day or three before I blow a bunch of slugs through that full choke barrel. Don't know for certain but I'm going to assume that it's going recoil like an under weight 45-70.

I think I will remove some wood where the front receiver lug fits into the stock...not unlike a bolt rifle. I will glass bed the stock there and pillar bed the action screws. Also I'm going to drill and tap it myself and put a recoil pad on the old girl.

I'm going to do my best to convert the old gun into a short range(100 yards) bolt action deer thumper. I think we are both up to the task. I'm looking forward to this project!

Smoke, I had a big go around with the customer service folk at Browning. They made me feel like I should feel privileged to own one of their products and that being at there mercy was to be expected. We had a parting of ways 25 years ago and I have never bought a Browning product since.

I have put scopes on several of the Savage bolt action Slug guns. None of them fed worth a hoot and the owners would be better off if they just bought them with the mentality that they were single shots with a magazine for storing some spair ammo. As getting the rounds from the mag to the chamber is going to require some manipulation on the part of the shooter as it doesn't happen by just cycling the bolt. I have already cycled some slugs through this old Mossberg and it already feeds them better than the half dozen $500 Savage wonder slug guns. The Savages did shoot good groups and hopefully what ever hunter is using a Savage will have the one shot mentality and he won't have to worry about chambering a second round in a hurry. The Savage slug guns are very capable of clean one shot kills. With this Mossberg I was thinking from the get go that if this gun will not chamber rounds any better than the Savage bolt action then I will just glue a block of wood in the mag well and make it into a single shot from the start.

Done some reading the last couple of days and your gun was one of the best of the old bolt guns

I just put. The patio furniture back on the patio as our snow is all gone and if we should get more it'll be short lived. I put my bench vice on the table and with the help of some towels for padding I clamped the old gun in the vice. I pulled the bolt and looked through the receiver and down the barrel as if it were an exadurated peep sight. I had on hand a package of wooden wedge shaped shims like you use when installing a prehung door. I used the shims to situate the vice/gun so that the distant door knob on the shed on the back yard was centered smack dab in the middle of the bore. Then I looked down the sights on the gun and determined that they were right in line but according to what I was seeing the gun was going to shoot a foot high at 100 feet. That means that either the back sight has to come down or the front sight has to go up. The rear sight is as solid as a rock and lines up good with my line of sight with a good cheek weld. The front sight being just a shotgun bead on a short post could stand to be replaced with a sight....of which I have a drawer full.

I'm pretty sure what needs to happen now but actually shooting some slugs needs to validate my findings before change anything. It's 60 degrees and sunny so I' m going to go shoot some slugs. I'll wrap the hand up and it'll be fine.

A bud of mine has the 12 gauge version of one of these and reports startlingly good results. He's using a felt wad under it and a roll crimp tool to install a shot card over the top. Sounds a bit fiddly, but he sezz it's easier than cartridge reloading. Meanwhile he's cut the cost of shooting slugs down toward 22 rimfire prices.

I'd sure be tempted to try one of these, long as you were contemplating the lead pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Done some reading the last couple of days and your gun was one of the best of the old bolt guns
    That's good to know. I look at some of the new bolt action slug guns with all their plastic pieces and wonder how in the heck do they sell for so much money.

When I picked this gun up at the FFL's shop there were a couple of young guys there that have a good time operating on daddy's or grandpa's thick wallets. It was easy to see that they weren't the least bit impressed with my old bolt gun. Kinda sad that some of these spoiled rotten rich kids don't know what they are missing. They have no desire to tinker with guns, reload ammo or learn woodsmanship. They buy the biggest and best of everything and hire someone to put game in front of them. Then strut around in their Eddie Bauer cammo and pat each other on the back. They don't own a firearm that costs less than a grand and I don't own one that cost me over a grand........I wouldn't trade places with them for anything.

...spoiled rotten rich kids don't know what they are missing. They have no desire to tinker with guns, reload ammo or learn woodsmanship. They buy the biggest and best of everything and hire someone to put game in front of them. Then strut around in their Eddie Bauer cammo and pat each other on the back. They don't own a firearm that costs less than a grand and I don't own one that cost me over a grand........I wouldn't trade places with them for anything.
    Not just kids. I know a whole lot of adults that fit the mold. If it's not black and plastic and if you're not playing the urban survivalist game, you're not real. So be it.