Thread: Kenai NWR baiting

Default Kenai NWR baiting

I know it should go in baiting website but it's about wolf hunting, bear trapping and baiting.

With Don Youngs persistence in keeping the NWS from managing our game, does that mean that the state has the right to enable baiting in the Kenai national wildlife refuge now? I know they closed it down due to the new taking of brown bears over black bear bait. So, with Youngs ability to get that shut down, we should be able to bait there this spring. Yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

As it stands at the moment, to my knowledge, you have to put in an application and attend the bait site drawing to bait on the Refuge. They only allow it in the Swanson River Road area and assign the winners a 1 mile square area.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    As it stands at the moment, to my knowledge, you have to put in an application and attend the bait site drawing to bait on the Refuge. They only allow it in the Swanson River Road area and assign the winners a 1 mile square area.
    Yes but that is only for black bears.
    The op was asking about brown bears and the refuge currently does not allow brown bear hunting on the refuge.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Yes but that is only for black bears.
    The op was asking about brown bears and the refuge currently does not allow brown bear hunting on the refuge.
    You are correct on that. My mistake on the specificity of browns over bait. You can hunt them on the Refuge otherwise, i.e. not over bait, but as far as I know it is still closed to taking them over bait. Best bet is to call the office and ask them..907-262-7021. And then maybe call Fish & Game in Soldotna..907-262-9368, and compare the answers you get.

I believe iirc the refuge decided to close brown bear hunting on the refuge completely.
    Whether baited or not.
    Unless it changed this year??
    I'll have to double-check.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

That was in the initial season, 2013?, that they did that when a whole bunch got taken. Since then it has been open the same dates as the normal State season in 7&15. At least the last I heard, in the fall, it was and I haven't seen anything to state otherwise recently. This is a good link to bookmark for announcements that they make.. http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Kenai/news.html and of course calling them is good too. They'll be up front with you whether it's open or not.