Thread: Flyfish the Nushagak

Default Flyfish the Nushagak

Jake's Nushagak Salmon Camp sits on the banks of the Nushagak River. The Nushagak is known to host the largest King Salmon run in the world. Throughout the season, more than 150,000 King Salmon make their way up the Nushagak River to spawn. The Benefit to staying at Jake's Nushagak Salmon Camp is the fish are right at your door. There is no need to fly out or spend part of your fishing day commuting.

Jakes Nushagak Salmon Camp is in the perfect location for some of the ultimate fly fishing for 4 species of Salmon. We travel from shore to shore according to the tides. Since we are effected by the tide 4-10 feet, we have the opportunity to fish on fresh fish just coming out of the ocean.

You can catch Kings on a single handed rod or a switch rod. Some even love to cast Spey. But you will definitely want a minimum 6 weight to 10 weight fast action. We recommend a shooting tip line and a minimum 330g sinking tip, as for flies or streamers these fish are not picky.

Lodging and Accommodations
    Our camps have spacious wall tents with wood structure, carpeted floors and comfortable bunks (two anglers per tent). We also boast hot showers, complete kitchen facilities for restaurant-quality meals, and modern radio gear. Meals are always first-class, served family style in the dining tent. Steaks, roast, turkey, fresh salads, home-made rolls, desserts and if you desire, salmon is on the menu throughout your stay.

“I found Jake’s to be the perfect combination of a wilderness camp, great fishing, and enough good food and creature comforts to make it an unbelievable experience.”
    — Jerry Herring

Kings along the Nush weigh between 15-50 pounds. On an occasion, you may land a 60 pound King, and if you are truly destined to be the greatest fisherman on earth, you will land the Salmon that breaks the 126 pound record. Most of the bigger Salmon are released back into the river as they are females, and their successful migration means better fishing in the next years. The smaller fish are usually males, and those are just perfect for eating.

The beautiful thing about fishing on the Nush is that you catch a ton of fish. http://Jakesnushagaksalmoncamp.com
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 03-08-2016 at 11:13. Reason: OP request

Quote Originally Posted by JakesAlaska View Post
    Jake's Nushagak Salmon Camp sits on the banks of the Nushagak River. The Nushagak is known to host the largest King Salmon run in the world. Throughout the season, more than 300,000 King Salmon make their way up the Nushagak River to spawn. The Benefit to staying at Jake's Nushagak Salmon Camp is the fish are right at your door. There is no need to fly out or spend part of your fishing day commuting.

Jakes Nushagak Salmon Camp is in the perfect location for some of the ultimate fly fishing for 4 species of Salmon. We travel from shore to shore according to the tides. Since we are effected by the tide 4-10 feet, we have the opportunity to fish on fresh fish just coming out of the ocean.

You can catch Kings on a single handed rod or a switch rod. Some even love to cast Spey. But you will definitely want a minimum 6 weight to 10 weight fast action. We recommend a shooting tip line and a minimum 330g sinking tip, as for flies or streamers these fish are not picky.

Lodging and Accommodations
    Our camps have spacious wall tents with wood structure, carpeted floors and comfortable bunks (two anglers per tent). We also boast hot showers, complete kitchen facilities for restaurant-quality meals, and modern radio gear. Meals are always first-class, served family style in the dining tent. Steaks, roast, turkey, fresh salads, home-made rolls, desserts and if you desire, salmon is on the menu throughout your stay.

“I found Jake’s to be the perfect combination of a wilderness camp, great fishing, and enough good food and creature comforts to make it an unbelievable experience.”
    — Jerry Herring

Kings along the Nush weigh between 15-50 pounds. On an occasion, you may land a 60 pound King, and if you are truly destined to be the greatest fisherman on earth, you will land the Salmon that breaks the 126 pound record. Most of the bigger Salmon are released back into the river as they are females, and their successful migration means better fishing in the next years. The smaller fish are usually males, and those are just perfect for eating.

The beautiful thing about fishing on the Nush is that you catch a ton of fish. http://Jakesnushagaksalmoncamp.com
    300,000 kings in the Nush? Man, disinformation at its finest
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Where did the 126 pound record king come from? Seems like the record king also added a few pounds!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    Where did the 126 pound record king come from? Seems like the record king also added a few pounds!
    The 126 pound king was caught in a commercial trap near Petersburg in 1949.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    300,000 kings in the Nush? Man, disinformation at its finest
    There was no ill intent here. The owner of the company had an associate post this for him and they made an honest error. It has been corrected. That said, there is no question that the Nushagak offers some of the best king salmon fishing in the state. I don't have time to research it right now, but I would not be surprised to learn that it's the largest run in Alaska. Jake's Nushagak Salmon Camp has been there for over 30 years and they offer an excellent opportunity at kings. They're under new management, and from what I can see, they're off to a great new start!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    There was no ill intent here. The owner of the company had an associate post this for him and they made an honest error. It has been corrected. That said, there is no question that the Nushagak offers some of the best king salmon fishing in the state. I don't have time to research it right now, but I would not be surprised to learn that it's the largest run in Alaska. Jake's Nushagak Salmon Camp has been there for over 30 years and they offer an excellent opportunity at kings. They're under new management, and from what I can see, they're off to a great new start!

-Mike
    I never denoted that they were a bad establishment, just bad information was given out. Yes, the Chinook fishery on the Nush is rivaled by few if any in numbers of kings. If anyone has a need for Chinook counts on the Nushagak the link below will be useful;

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCounts/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    but I would not be surprised to learn that it's the largest run in Alaska.
    That would be the Yukon.

Granted, the Nush is much shorter / smaller / accessible / easier to fish / not subject to transboundary treaty, so in terms of overall fishability, I would say that it has the "most available" king salmon and that it IS, in fact, the "best (freshwater) king fishing in the state".

BUT, the Nush hasn't had a 150k return in awhile...

Sure a lot clearer than the Yukon, too. Fished kings in the Nush a few times back in the 70's and it was a treat. Any time I've crossed the Yukon though, I've never been inspired to wet a fly.

Hasn't the Yukon been closed to king fishing for the last few years? Or at least severely restricted?

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I never denoted that they were a bad establishment, just bad information was given out. Yes, the Chinook fishery on the Nush is rivaled by few if any in numbers of kings. If anyone has a need for Chinook counts on the Nushagak the link below will be useful;

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCounts/
    Well, you used the term "disinformation", which suggests an intent to mislead. Perhaps a poor choice of words...

As to the ADFG data, we've been feeding it live to this site since a year ago January. You can find the charts on all of our dipnetting pages, and I am in the process of coding it into most of our salmon pages. As soon as I get to it, we will have it here in the forums too. Here's a link to one of those pages:

AOS SALMON RUN CHARTS (live feed directly from ADF&G)

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    That would be the Yukon.

Granted, the Nush is much shorter / smaller / accessible / easier to fish / not subject to transboundary treaty, so in terms of overall fishability, I would say that it has the "most available" king salmon and that it IS, in fact, the "best (freshwater) king fishing in the state".

BUT, the Nush hasn't had a 150k return in awhile...
    The context of the thread is the quality of king salmon fishing on the Nushagak, and I stand by my suggestion that the Nushagak is probably the largest run in Alaska of concern to sport anglers. Perhaps I should have clarified. And there is some reason to question whether Nushagak kings are being accurately counted, as the counters were set to count sockeye, which run close to the shoreline. There can be no doubt that the counters on the Nushagak miss many kings. How many? Hard to say. What percentage of the kings run close to shore, as opposed to in the center of the river where the counter misses them? 30%? Higher? Lower? Nobody really knows, but I would feel fairly comfortable with speculating that the counter is missing at least 25% of the run. If we assume that ADFG is missing 25% of the king salmon run on the Nushagak, then this is how the two rivers would compare over the last five years (I'm using the Pilot Station counts on the Yukon, the one in the lower river):

Nushagak: 76,937
    Yukon: 123,369

Nushagak: 146,822
    Yukon: 106,726

Nushagak: 151,657
    Yukon: 117,159

Nushagak: 99,547
    Yukon: 137,985

Nushagak: 130,795
    Yukon: 116,084

If we just go with the raw numbers supplied by ADFG, it would look like this:

My source for this data is the ADFG sonar counts on both rivers. I would go farther back than the last five years, but I'm not finding data before 2011 for the Nushagak. Maybe someone else has that?

However you slice it, there appears to be barely a difference between the two rivers, with the exception that the lower Yukon is not really fishable at all, when it comes to king salmon. Obviously the Nushagak is. As to whether the Nushagak has hit 150,000 recently, it would be safe to say that they likely exceeded that number just two years ago, and came awfully close last season.

The bottom line is that the Nushagak appears to be the best freshwater king salmon fishery in the state of Alaska.

Best of luck to Jake's, and to all who head out there this summer!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay