Thread: Springfield Triggers

Default Springfield Triggers

I love my XD 4Ē .45 & XD Mod-2 3.3Ē .45, but the triggers has too much travel before & after reset. Iím looking into upgrading the triggers. Have any of you guys & gals ever donethis with the Springfields? If so what triggers did you us and did you like the change? I plan on taking Alaska Tacticalís handgun 1 course and Iím going toget a Mod-2 with the 5Ē barrel for the class and defiantly want a better trigger. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Then why did you buy this instead of a Colt. 1911 triggers have been blamed for over travel, heavy, gritty, but, by the time I was 16 years old when I would hear veterans of WWII say they would let anybody shoot at them from a city block away until they saw me shoot my surplus 1911A1 they would just walk away and never mention this again.
    Now, if you're a match shooter and have little or no experience with the old slab side, shoot the thing until you are proficient with it. Practice, practice, practice. Those things just become part of your hand after a while. They have been putting enemies down since 1911!
    In the event there is something definitely wrong contact a professional pistol smith and have it fixed instead of kitchen table gunsmithing it yourself. Many a 1911 has been ruined by self gunsmithing.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

I've installed 10 or 20 Powder river precision trigger kits in the XD and XDs pistols. They seem to work well. But I'm not really "trigger sensitive". Besides that input, please read your post out loud to yourself before clicking on "Post Quick Reply". I'll turn off the grammar and spelling nazi mode now.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    please read your post out loud to yourself before clicking on "Post Quick Reply". I'll turn off the grammar and spelling nazi mode now.
    History will show that texting was the final nail in the coffin of literacy.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    History will show that texting was the final nail in the coffin of literacy.
    I totally agree with that assessment. Texting and the auto-correct feature on our beloved devices have dumbed down the way we communicate online. Sometimes how you say something is as important as what you say.

In general, I'm not a fan of the Croatian made XD line of pistols from Springfield Armory (not the same Springfield Armory in George Washington's time). Striker-fired triggers don't impress me either, although I have several Glocks. Give me a genuine Colt 1911, or faithful 1911 clone, and I'm happy.

I'm with Gunbugs...I've installed 6 Powder River Precision triggers and they clean up very nicely. (Five on XDMs and one on an XD)

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with the PRP as well. Looks like what I'm looking for and I hope I don't have too much trouble installing it.

The trigger on an XD will never be like a 1911. Get over that. I have a XDS in 45 and it's fine. Just learn to pull the trigger more like a DA revolver. Long steady pull then let off. Many folks have trigger control issues with autos because they want to give the trigger a quick tap instead of pulling it. Practice with a DA revolver dry firing until you can hold the sights steady on target through the entire pull and release. Then speed it up until you can do that very fast. Then use that same trigger pull on your auto just don't bail off the trigger on release.

I run a PRP trigger in my XDm. It is fine 99% of the time, but it doesn't have a consistent reset for me. I will end up short stroking the trigger at times in drills and that requires a tap-rack to get going again. I also had issues related to not removing enough of the trigger over travel stop off the back of the trigger when I installed it (might be related). In cold temps I ended up with a non-firing pistol. The solution was simple, remove more of the trigger over travel stop, which I accomplished with the file on a leatherman tool. I have shot that pistol in classes that amounted to two thousand rounds of drills, and several pistol matches at our local range.

I'm still not sure I like the PRP trigger for every day defensive carry. I far prefer my Glock 19 trigger, even though it has 2# more pull. I can't quantitatively say why, it's just a personal preference. I also like two stage triggers on AR-15's, which many folks can't stand. No matter what, you will never have a 1911 trigger in a polymer striker fired pistol. For actual defensive use, you should be able to train around the trigger differences and realize the huge advantages modern pistols have over the 1911 (yes, I went there).
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I've installed 10 or 20 Powder river precision trigger kits in the XD and XDs pistols. They seem to work well. But I'm not really "trigger sensitive". Besides that input, please read your post out loud to yourself before clicking on "Post Quick Reply". I'll turn off the grammar and spelling nazi mode now.
    I apologize if you took offense at my comments but, my Heinie 1911 the trigger breaks at a very clean 2&1/2 pounds(weighed with a NRA weight).
    And I've never seen it not reset when hammer falls.
    No offense intended to anyone.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

I have both an XDs and a 1911 and a don't see the advantages of the "modern" guns over the 1911.

I've got a 1911 that was made way back in 1913 and it still works great. Wonder how many of those plastic guns will still be working 100 years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    I totally agree with that assessment. Texting and the auto-correct feature on our beloved devices have dumbed down the way we communicate online. Sometimes how you say something is as important as what you say.

In general, I'm not a fan of the Croatian made XD line of pistols from Springfield Armory (not the same Springfield Armory in George Washington's time). Striker-fired triggers don't impress me either, although I have several Glocks. Give me a genuine Colt 1911, or faithful 1911 clone, and I'm happy.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I've got a 1911 that was made way back in 1913 and it still works great. Wonder how many of those plastic guns will still be working 100 years from now?
    Depends how much you shoot it. Any of them will last forever if not fired much and stored correctly. I've have two Glock 19's with over 5000 rounds each in only 4 years and I know plenty of guys with north of 10,000 in theirs. Neither of my 1911's have seen that level of firing yet. Both of my 1911's, one from the 50's and the other in the 70's have proven less reliable than my Glocks. I went searching for solutions to my 1911 reliability issues without having to spend a new pistol $$'s worth on modifications. This led me to XD-M's and Glocks and I haven't looked back.

The largest advantage I find with a high cap tupperware gun is ammo capacity. As one of my instructors once said.. "Bullets are oportunities".. he's also a big 1911 guy, but acknowledges that 1911's as fighting guns require a special attention to detail in maintenance and care that most shooters (including me) don't possess.

We have low key steel shoots and practical pistol shoots every 2nd and 4th Saturdays at Upper Susitna Shooters all summer long. It's a mixed bag of beginners through "not that competitive" veteran shooters. By actually running the guns often I have determined what I like to carry.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default how much rust?

The 1911 got its reputation as firing under all sorts of nasty conditions- dirt, rust, etc. I had some really cruddy runs back 50-55 years ago when they were cheap - $20 or so - and never had one that won't fire although I had to scrape the dirt off some of the slide to read who made it.

A friend brought over one of the Springfield plastic wonders last year after it got a slight bit of rust inside. I had a devil of a time getting the magazine out - it had a ambidextrous safety when the releaase cams against a pin, and once it got a bit of rust on the cam it won't slide against the pin. Getting the rest of the gun apart and working was a pain also - and it only had enough rust on it that I could wipe it off with an oily rag and a bit of scrubbing. Never had that issue with a 1911.

Most people screw with 1911s way too much - for a combat gun leave them pretty much stock. John Browning got things right the first time. I add a longer tang on the grip safety so it does not pinch the flesh on the web of my hand and leave the rest alone.

Last statistics I saw were something like 99% of gun fights were one shot a 7 ft. Clearly you don't need large capacity magazines or long range sights in virtually all cases. Buy the gun you want and learn how to shoot it very very very well the first time you pull the trigger - the overwhelming odds are with that single first shot - not the second, third, forth etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Depends how much you shoot it. Any of them will last forever if not fired much and stored correctly. I've have two Glock 19's with over 5000 rounds each in only 4 years and I know plenty of guys with north of 10,000 in theirs. Neither of my 1911's have seen that level of firing yet. Both of my 1911's, one from the 50's and the other in the 70's have proven less reliable than my Glocks. I went searching for solutions to my 1911 reliability issues without having to spend a new pistol $$'s worth on modifications. This led me to XD-M's and Glocks and I haven't looked back.

The largest advantage I find with a high cap tupperware gun is ammo capacity. As one of my instructors once said.. "Bullets are oportunities".. he's also a big 1911 guy, but acknowledges that 1911's as fighting guns require a special attention to detail in maintenance and care that most shooters (including me) don't possess.

We have low key steel shoots and practical pistol shoots every 2nd and 4th Saturdays at Upper Susitna Shooters all summer long. It's a mixed bag of beginners through "not that competitive" veteran shooters. By actually running the guns often I have determined what I like to carry.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Two of the most reliable guns in the world are the AK47 and the original 1911. Both are made loose on purpose. Neither are target guns but are accurate enough for what they were intended for. Fix the looseness and loose reliability. Most of the modern guns have fixed the looseness and have lost the ability to function when dirty, filthy even. Accuracy at 7' I don't really need. Reliability I need always. 14 rounds I don't need, I shoot much better than that. 2 or 3 rounds of 45 for the worst drugged up bad guy is all I will need. Show me a modern gun that is more reliable than my 100% 1911 and I'll buy one. So far my XDs has been 100% but I do not let it get dirty. My 1911 just doesn't care.

Well, I got my PRP trigger yesterday and installed it. It took a little work. But all in all, I like it. Almost no travel to the wall & for the reset. I don't much care for the material the trigger is made of. I do believe I'll be getting one for my next XD Mod-2 5" Tactical.