Thread: USGS Topo Maps

Default USGS Topo Maps

Is there any place in Anchorage to buy hard copy USGS maps? I used to get them over by the hospital/university area, but I heard they closed down.

Looking on line and the USGS is going to a new PDF type and I haven't gotten to the link yet on where to purchase a hardcopy topo.

The Map Store at APU closed two years ago.

You can order hard copy maps from the USGS on line store and they will be mailed out as supplies last. Eventually they may run out of pre printed topos and you will have to pay a higher fee to have something printed on demand.

I prefer to make my own maps using the ADFG fish resources on-line GIS mapping system. Cut, paste, etc. then print on write in the rain paper 11x17 or 8.5x11 sizes using a color laser printer at the job.

I haven't spent much time on their new website but the quality looked very poor for the downloadable files I tried. I did mess around with a bunch of the overlays.

I'd mention the quads that I want but that is where I am sheep hunting this year :-)

I have not quite figured out the link to get to the "buy" this hard copy of quad XXXXX on their webpage. It could be that the area I am zoomed into does not have quads hardcopy left.......

My google earth with USGS overlay shows much more detail than I got off their site. So much for better,,,,,,,,,

So - i went to mytopo dot com and ordered a custom map from them for he area. It was easiest for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Bullelkklr;1529110]So - i went to mytopo dot com and ordered a custom map from them for he area. It was easiest for me.

Ditto. You can center and scale it to include the area you want and not have to deal with a bunch of map corners and edges.

There's a map store over by the Ulu factory, down by Ship Creek that has a limited selection of topo's. I can't remember the name of the place but if memory serves me, they're right next to the Ulu factory.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    There's a map store over by the Ulu factory, down by Ship Creek that has a limited selection of topo's. I can't remember the name of the place but if memory serves me, they're right next to the Ulu factory.

I believe it is called Alaska Geographic

I use my topo dot com as well. No complaints here.

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

Default USGS Topo Maps

I turned on the 'sheep' layer and asked to post date the sheep to august 18th. I fly in the 17th so figured the timing would be good!

You can order regular USGS topographical maps in all scales from the map sales office at the Geophysical Institute in Fairbanks. The map store in Anchorage shipped all their inventory up there when they closed. GPS and onboard maps have really taken a bite out of paper map sales, and it's not going to come back to previous levels. The fix is print-on-demand, and the Geophysical Institute's map office can do that on-site. They're printing the same maps we are all used to, but unfortunately they're doing it on an inkjet plotter, and the paper quality isn't as good as it used to be. There's some risk of the ink running a bit when it gets wet too. It's close to what we used to get, but it's not the same. Prices are about $8 a sheet.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Just an FYI for anyone in the Matsu Valley that still wants old school USGS topos and doesn't feel like messing with online options, Chimo guns in Wasilla tries to keep pretty well stocked on Alaska topos...also about $8 a sheet.

The best option by far is to go to the UAA Library, go to the state records section. They have a complete set of the 1"=1 mile maps for Alaska. You can use their scanner to scan super high quality copies and email them to yourself or put them on a thumb drive.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

If you want the original USGS quads some have referenced, here's the link.

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/...&uiarea=2)/.do

Once you figure out how to navigate the site, it's pretty easy. I'm partial to the 7.5x7.5 size and the 1:25000 provides more detail than some of the other online stuff. They ship fairly quickly and cost $8 bucks each.

Quote Originally Posted by as.ks.ak View Post
    I use my topo dot com as well. No complaints here.

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.
    Just an idea, I've been using MyTopo dot com for 5 years, every season for a new area. They are great - you can tailor the map to your needs, save it on record, etc. They're based in Montana.

the h2o proof with my selected area of coverage was 14.99$ I got two of the same and with shipping was 36$. Not cheap but not too bad.

Here's another USGS site that I use. Spend a few minutes to learn it and you can download .jpgs, .pdf.s, geotiffs, and to Google Earth. They have whatever scale maps are available, from 1:250,000 to 1:24,000. I print them out on 11 x 17 paper at home and there's plenty of detail to actually read the map. And they only cost the paper and ink. With the .jpg version you can crop it down to the map only, no white trim.

http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/maps/TopoView/.../56.78/-127.75