Thread: 45 Colt Dual Loads

Default 45 Colt Dual Loads

I just purchased a new 5.5" stainless Bisley and am looking for some advice on a couple loads. I'm not sure if it is possible, but I would like to be able to have a plinking load like my current 250gr rnfp over 9gr unique and have a heavier bullet load like something in a 300gr cast bullet in the 1100-1200 fps and be able to shoot both without changing front sights. I have read that most times when you go to a heavier bullet/load you usually have to change your front sight height. I mostly like to just shoot the mild loads for fun and practice but I'm thinking that this might also be my stomp around in the woods carry piece. If its not possible, would it be better to stick with a heavier bullet and keep the speed down and use it for both applications? I'm sure others have come across this same issue and I am curious what you went with. Thanks

I'm betting you can tinker your loads to find a pair that meet your needs. Impossible to forecast without the shooting in any case. I'd bet on your plinking load also featuring a heavy bullet.

Something else that might come into play would be a "compromise" sight in if you can't get your light and heavy loads to land in the same spot. I've had to do that with a couple of 44's, though I haven't tried it on a 45. But I bet my experience holds. First sight in your heavy load at around 50 yards. Then shoot it at 25 to see where it's hitting there. Now play with your lighter load, adjusting charge and maybe bullet weight until it hits at about the same spot as your heavy at 25 yards. I bet you can do it, even if the light load is going to be dropping more that the heavy out at 50 yards. You can always add a little "Kentucky Windage" to compensate for extra drop out there with the light loads, but if you're like me you probably won't do much long shooting with the plinkers.

I understand to what you are saying. Just looking for a good starting point. I guess I'll order up some 300 gainers and work up a few loads to see how it goes.

File a groove across the front sight about a quarter inch down and fill with what ever color you like. Use top of sight for hot stuff and groove for the light loads
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    If its not possible, would it be better to stick with a heavier bullet and keep the speed down and use it for both applications? I'm sure others have come across this same issue and I am curious what you went with. Thanks
    If I was hell-bent on two loads I'd do what Will suggests. I'm a single load guy tho, and prefer heavy and slow-ish for everything.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    If I was hell-bent on two loads I'd do what Will suggests. I'm a single load guy tho, and prefer heavy and slow-ish for everything.
    What is one of your favorite heavy-slowish loads? I hear great things on heavy and slow then I also hear that the slow loads are fine unless you want to hunt or use for bear protection. Little confusing. I have a 454 casull but have more fun shooting and carrying the 45 colt. My goal isn't to load up to 454 ability but want "enough" with my 45 colt. Kind of hard to explain.

What is one of your favorite heavy-slowish loads? I hear great things on heavy and slow then I also hear that the slow loads are fine unless you want to hunt or use for bear protection. Little confusing. I have a 454 casull but have more fun shooting and carrying the 45 colt. My goal isn't to load up to 454 ability but want "enough" with my 45 colt. Kind of hard to explain.
    I've settled on one load for my Blackhawk; a 347 grain SWC at about 1100 fps. I'm comfortable with that for everything.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Yip, I use a 300gr at 1100 or so 'cause we have smaller bears down here. Sell your Casull and buy powder and bullets and practice a lot with just one load until you can hit what you aim at every time...the LC will get it done.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Yip, I use a 300gr at 1100 or so 'cause we have smaller bears down here.
    Smaller bears...pshaw. What N-American animal will a 300-350 grain 45 caliber cast bullet at 1100 fps not penetrate, through and through?
    #Resist

I just purchased a new 5.5" stainless Bisley and am looking for some advice on a couple loads. I'm not sure if it is possible, but I would like to be able to have a plinking load like my current 250gr rnfp over 9gr unique and have a heavier bullet load like something in a 300gr cast bullet in the 1100-1200 fps and be able to shoot both without changing front sights. I have read that most times when you go to a heavier bullet/load you usually have to change your front sight height. I mostly like to just shoot the mild loads for fun and practice but I'm thinking that this might also be my stomp around in the woods carry piece. If its not possible, would it be better to stick with a heavier bullet and keep the speed down and use it for both applications? I'm sure others have come across this same issue and I am curious what you went with. Thanks
    Yes you can do it. I have 2 loads that shoot to same POI out to about 50ish yds. 255gr 8.5gr Unique. 355gr 21.5gr H110.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I have a Ruger Toklat and shoot mostly 45 Colt. Having said that, there isn't a trip to the shooting club that I don't peel off a few 454 Casull rounds. It's always good for a laugh to see people next to me who've heard the blast and felt the concussion wave, to say, "OMG, What was that?".

45 Colt is a lot of fun to reload especially with a Ruger SRH. You have an almost limitless top end. Let it rip.