Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Trophy Moose hunt for Trophy Mule Deer hunt Anyone?

Default Trade Trophy Moose hunt for Trophy Mule Deer hunt Anyone?

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forum and would like to thank everyone for the great info here, what an awsome site.
    I didn't draw a moose for limited entry this year so I thought I would toss out the possibilty of trading someone a moose hunt
    where I could buy an otc tag this fall for an area that someone knows and would be willing to take me (I would pay all my own expenses and my share of gas in boats or planes or wheelers and all else that would be fair) In exchange the same courtesy for someone who would like to hunt huge mule deer on public land. A tough hunt but big big deer. Anyone interested can call or pm me
    Thanks guys and have a great day

Pretty certain that would be an illegal proposal.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Yep.........................
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Okay???? Would someone like to clue me in on the whys? I guess there must be something up in Alaska that prohibits tradeing?

Sorry. Typing on a phone sometimes limits what should be a fuller reply.

Bartering/trading for a hunt is illegal in Alaska. Receiving payment/paying to hunt with someone who's not a guide, and has a contract, will end poorly for all parties involved.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

This comes up a few times each year. Search this forum and you will find several long discussions on the subject.

There is nothing wrong with going hunting with friends as many people have friends and family that come up to moose hunt with residents. However, you are starting right off with discussing trading knowledge which up here is what makes up a huge part of the actions in guiding a hunter.

Ok thanks for the info and everyone disregard my request. Thanks for responding and have a wonderful day😎

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerhino View Post
    Ok thanks for the info and does anyone wanna be friends?Thanks for responding and have a wonderful day😎
    ^^^^fixed it for you^^^^
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

In reality it would be legal if there was no mention of cost, I spoke with several troopers recently that confirmed the fact that a verbal no contract hunt trade is in fact legal as long as either party is not bound to fulfill their part of the agreement, or share in expenses of the actual hunt.

Thanks for the info. So to make it legal would anyone want to trade a hunt verbally and not be bound other than by an Man's word and we wont share in the expense of the hunt we will pay our own way. The deer hunt would take place in Utah on public land. If anyone would be interested in some pics of the deer we have taken in the past I can email them or text them. Thanks again!

trophy trophy trophy, yeah! everything is trophy! guaranteed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrchambers View Post
    In reality it would be legal if there was no mention of cost, I spoke with several troopers recently that confirmed the fact that a verbal no contract hunt trade is in fact legal as long as either party is not bound to fulfill their part of the agreement, or share in expenses of the actual hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluerhino View Post
    Thanks for the info. So to make it legal would anyone want to trade a hunt verbally and not be bound other than by an Man's word and we wont share in the expense of the hunt we will pay our own way. The deer hunt would take place in Utah on public land. If anyone would be interested in some pics of the deer we have taken in the past I can email them or text them. Thanks again!
    You'd be well served to call ADF&G, as opposed to getting advice on legalities from the interwebs.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    You'd be well served to call ADF&G, as opposed to getting advice on legalities from the interwebs.
    Add a call to the Alaska Wildlife Troopers while you're at it, as they're the ones who actually enforce the regulations.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

If you're willing to put forth some cash, hire a hunt planner and put together a hunt on your own. Look up Mike Strahan or Larry Bartlett.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

yeah id ditch the t word as well in this case.

Ok I guess I don't want to trade. I Already hired Mike. And read his book, Great guy with alot of info just wondering if anyone wanted to tag along but I am getting the feeling that posting something here is kind of like posting a hunting vid on you tube where your going to get an array of opinions and views and comments, Thanks anyway

Great advice Alaskahippie and Brian.

Not to derail this thread, but that seems to be an interesting mule deer hunt. Hunting truly big mule deer on public land and without having to eventually (someday) draw a difficult-to-obtain lottery permit, is almost unheard in this day and age. Historically, Utah has produced some incredible mule deer trophies and it still has some fantastic trophy mule deer areas. An OTC trophy mule deer hunt is rare, these days. Interesting ........

If you notice in the original post I mentioned a tough hunt. And as of a couple years ago you have to draw for any deer tag in the state of Utah but it isn't a limited or so called Trophy unit but a general season. They just limit the tags so as to not have to many hunters so there are people who don't draw each year but with a general season bonus point system within 2-3 years max according to current stats you should get a tag. So to expound a little, very very few deer, but some big ones. Such as two years ago I hunted six full days without even seeing a deer after putting in 10-15 miles a day on foot. No offroad vehicles allowed and vast amounts of land with no animals. The year before on the 5th day we got lucky and my brother shot a really heavy horned awsome buck. Was the only deer we seen. This year we got lucky once again and took a 29 1'4 4x4 on the second day and the 3rd day a 35" 4x6 that grossed 209. Hunted 5 more days to help the friends that still had tags and no one fired a bullet. People see the pictures and want to go hunt the desert where the big ones are and so the get a tag and hunt there for a couple days and get discouraged because they don't even see a deer track anywhere. I guess thats why they call it hunting and not killing.

Or would you like some pics of the 34" 4x5 will got 5 years ago or the 197" typical the year before or the 225 32" 9x11. Anyway I totally agree with you that it is rare these days to find a place, and not only that but to have the know how to dig one of the big boys out these units once in awhile, Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast