Thread: Double digit daily steelhead hookups on Kasilof fact or fiction?

Default Double digit daily steelhead hookups on Kasilof fact or fiction?

I got to know, as this was the title of a fishing show seminar, which turned out to be on the Kasilof River:

"Alaska Steelhead On The Cheap With Daily Double Digit Hookups"

And by this title, the speaker means these are the current fishing conditions, as in the last few seasons in the fall period of Sept-Oct (not in the 1990s, when it was hatchery-enhanced to 10X current levels). The talk had glorious shots of large steelhead and fancy lodging, and a show special price as well ($3,500/wk).

Well - my internet searching reveals an average recent run of ~500 fish which is a good natural run but not the thousands of the past. And steelhead can be a challenging fish - well - you can get into good days, but 10-20 hookups on average, every day? Seriously?

So who has some experience on this river that can shed some light on this topic.

I haven't ever really targeted them specifically for a day but have caught a few in that river.
    I would say that double digit days would not be the norm though.
    That's just my opinion.
    I would also add that there are some spots that routinely produce if you know where they are and your timing is right.
    Any insight into which lodge this is?
    Upper or lower river?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

That would be Minturn anglers out of Colorado; he stated they have four new cabins in the vicinity of Clam Gulch facing north off a bluff there:

The speaker didn't show a map of the river. He did indicate that the first portion was flat water, and they used inflatable clients to move downstream a little bit. I am thinking based on that the fishing is somewhat downstream of the most upstream place you can launch so I am guessing upper. Although fly patterns weren't shown either, I gathered from the talk that he has success with pegged beads.

That would be the upper river for sure.
    I haven't heard of this guide service but I do not use guide services.
    Others would likely know more than I do about the steelhead fishing lately.
    I used to catch them bank fishing on private property on the upper river.
    Now I own a driftboat but do not really target the steelhead there.
    Mostly just the salmon.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    10-20 hookups on average, every day
    Fiction________________________
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I've seen one man hook double digits in a single day there once!

But I wouldn't say it's the norm!
    I will say that was single handedly the worst beating I've ever received in my life! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be Minturn anglers out of Colorado; he stated they have four new cabins in the vicinity of Clam Gulch facing north off a bluff there:

The speaker didn't show a map of the river. He did indicate that the first portion was flat water, and they used inflatable clients to move downstream a little bit. I am thinking based on that the fishing is somewhat downstream of the most upstream place you can launch so I am guessing upper. Although fly patterns weren't shown either, I gathered from the talk that he has success with pegged beads.
    Great, an out of state guide making up complete lies to get clients booked in Alaska. Complete fiction!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Double digit days can be had on any steelhead stream on the peninsula. But to claim it as an average, with clients, is ludicrous. A 20 fish average means every skunk day has a 40 fish counterpart. Wow. Now, if you count dollies and salmon as hookups, 10 to 20 is very doable, maybe even on the low side!

some of this is fact an some is fiction the way to find out is turn off the TV an give it a try a bad day of fishing beats a good day on the TV or PC or work my 2 CTS SID
    PS every one wants to have it checked out by some one else an report back to them blow by blow

This is fiction for sure! Maybe before F&G stopped stocking the river it was very possible. Now I would say not even close. There are a few people who probably could pull it off that post on here, but as a norm or average.....now......no way.

I used to fish steelhead there regularly back in the hatchery enhanced days. The hotspot was always the confluence with Crooked Creek. The same clear water trib flowing into the colored water as you see at the Kenai-Russian confluence. It was a spring fishery and the steelies were returning to the hatchery weir to spawn. Double digits were pretty unlikely back then. Highly doubt anyone would get close to that as an average or even a good day now.

Maybe they meant double digit hookups for the entire group together????

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Maybe they meant double digit hookups for the entire group together????
    As in 24 clients (4 cabins with 6 clients each)? That's quite the flotilla of fishermen and guides to jam into one creek confluence.

Perhaps, but I still would have my doubts based on my limited successful experience with steelhead - which means hooking a fish every day or so will have me smiling all over the place. Just never have caught that many of this species even when I try hard for them.

One correction from my last post - I meant they moved downstream with inflatable kayaks, not inflatable clients.

That's quite the flotilla of fishermen and guides to jam into one creek confluence.
    One creek confluence?
    You do realize there is more than one stream on the Kasilof system that has a returning steelhead population don't you?
    You can theoretically catch them throughout the entire river!
    I know from shore the people's hole at crooked creek on the lower river is very popular.
    I know spots above the bridge that people fish consistently for steelhead and I've caught them there as well.
    Don't restrict yourself to one fishing hole!
    Find some others and you might catch more steelhead!
    Maybe not be double digits but still worth fishing/ exploring.