Thread: Used belly pod for PA-18?

Default Used belly pod for PA-18?

I've been looking for a belly pod (cargo) for a Super Cub for the better part of a year. I've been told that they rarely come up and that I'd be better off just buying new. Perhaps that's true, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to put out some feelers here. If anyone knows of a lead, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Brian,

First you need to decide on Landis or Bush Pod. It is nice when you buy one because you can get it's color to match your plane if that kinda thing matters to you. Have you looked at either? Also the newer Bush Pod I believe has a bigger side opening than the older ones. These pods can make you add up the weight pretty fast when full. But they are nice for fish or stinky stuff. Easy to wash out too.

I haven't really looked at them beyond taking a look at a couple websites, so I don't really know which I want. I'm looking at cargo only rather than a cargo/fuel combo, but otherwise I'm open at this point. I imagine I'll end up buying new, but figured I would check in case anything is out there. Matching would be fine, but if it saved me some money, I'm not too concerned with the color.

I realize that added weight can be an issue, but am I correct in thinking that this will keep the weight under the CG? I assume that loading weight into a pod is better than behind the passenger seat. Of course I also want the ability to carry more than 50 lbs at times, but I'm more concerned with where the weight is than the added payload.

Any insight would be much appreciated, as I'm very new to all of this.

I see the Landis pod on the Airglas website, but I can't find much info on the Firmin pods. Am I right that it's just a small operation out in Wasilla without a website?

Brian, Ever once in a while they come up on Craigslist.Will let you know when they pop up.

Yes the Firmin or Alaska Bush Pod is small operation. I have the all cargo pod. I can fit three 6 gallon fuel cans in there if I want to make it a fuel pod along with some cargo. If you want to look at a Firmin let me know I can let you look at my pod. I believe he makes a even bigger one now. The Airmen's show is coming up and sometimes specials are offered on the pods.

Yes having the weight over the GG is better for most applications rather than behind the passenger. Also there is allot of bulky light stuff for winter flying and the pod makes that nice too for pure volume sake.

Thanks, fellas! Good call on the airmen's show - I'll be sure to swing by when that occurs.

I will give you a shout when I get home and we need to get out flying! I can tell you everything I know as I just went through this as well several months ago.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Sounds great, Cory. Thanks!

You can receive an email from Craigslist when a new item is posted there. Type in the search words you want and click the "save search" button. It will have you log in and then a page comes up that lists all of your saved searches that you can turn on or off. When a new item that you are searching for is posted, you'll get an email notifying you. Keep your searches specific like "landis pod" so you only get notified when that item is posted. A search too general and you'll get a ton of emails. Works very well so you don't have to keep checking craigslist every day.