Thread: buying boat for caribou on the ivishak

Default buying boat for caribou on the ivishak

I've been searching this site for years for advice, but this is my first post. I've made some poor decisions in recreational toys up here over the past ten years. To avoid another one I will be gathering all the info I can. I'm in the market for my first ak boat. Is there a realistic option for under 10k? I narrowed down the main focus to caribou on the ivishak because I've read the second best option (1st being airboat) is a smaller river boat that can take a heck of a beating. Any advice would be great for what to keep an eye out for.

If the Ivishak was my main river Airboat is the only way I would go. There is a few guys on here that have done a lot of tunnel hull sport jet running on that river and I have seen them on it and it is all water level dependent on how bad you will tear it up or not :-)

Default buying boat for caribou on the ivishak

Might want to check out some of the mini jets too. An airboat is the best route but I'm thinking a mini jet would be the next best thing. I've run that River many times with a zodiac and a 40 jet. Worked great but my zodiac was very modified to run shallow. Sure wish I still had that boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I've run that River many times with a zodiac and a 40 jet. Worked great but my zodiac was very modified to run shallow. Sure wish I still had that boat

Rob, how did you protect the zodiac where the hypolon floor material wraps the bottom of the trandsom? Seems like that would be a very vulnerable spot and the first place to hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I've had the opportunity to hunt these waters on a number of different boats. By far, any airboat is just about perfect for them IMHO. As long as you have the right weight to horsepower ratio, you will almost never get stuck and they can go almost everywhere. The second best choice was a 14 foot 175HP inboard jet, but it would get stuck in situations that an airboat just glided over. I see johnboats with a 40-75 HP up there, but they are a lot of work and go quite slow...still, they can work if you know what you are doing and are prepared to haul them out of low areas, and can do bottom work on them in the field...just plan an extra day or two for repairs.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Mini jet is a possible option or a small light tunnel hull that could be man handled across gravel bars.

I install umhw on airboats and jetboats. Both slide much easier with poly on the bottom. A mini jet with poly would be a slick hunting rig!

Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Yes it is. My first trip up, I caught a rock and ripped the bottom of the transom right off. Floated out from the Echooka to the launch with 5 bou, 3 guys and all our camping gear. LOL I then made a new transom that was flat and layered the hypalon where it wraps over the transom really well. Never had an issue after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    I've run that River many times with a zodiac and a 40 jet. Worked great but my zodiac was very modified to run shallow. Sure wish I still had that boat

Rob, how did you protect the zodiac where the hypolon floor material wraps the bottom of the trandsom? Seems like that would be a very vulnerable spot and the first place to hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [/QUOTE]
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859