Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nunivak...Finally Got Lucky!

Default Nunivak...Finally Got Lucky!

Well, I must have prayed long and hard enough to the tag Gods because I finally drew a Nunivak DX003 tag, and a party tag no less with a buddy. I've been putting in for this tag for a long time so I would like to think I was "due" but in reality we just got lucky. We are already booked with James Stickman for next February...tick tock tick tock. We are really looking forward to a great adventure. Lucky for me I have a few hunts lined up this year to keep me busy!

I've researched the heck of this hunt but if anyone wants to put in their 2c please do! Stories and tips are great!

Congrats! Swing and a miss for me this year, 17 picks, 0 draws. Guess its gonna be a HT year.

Default Musk ox

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Well, I must have prayed long and hard enough to the tag Gods because I finally drew a Nunivak DX003 tag, and a party tag no less with a buddy. I've been putting in for this tag for a long time so I would like to think I was "due" but in reality we just got lucky. We are already booked with James Stickman for next February...tick tock tick tock. We are really looking forward to a great adventure. Lucky for me I have a few hunts lined up this year to keep me busy!

I've researched the heck of this hunt but if anyone wants to put in their 2c please do! Stories and tips are great!
    I've been very forunate to be on this hunt with James three times. Can't say enough good things about Mr. Whitman. I can give you some tips if interested. Please p.m if interested.

Lots of duck tape and wax boxes for bringing home meat. Used the largest hockey bag I could find to stuff the head/hide in. Don't forget small caliber rifle for plinking fox. Always good to bring a box of fresh veggies/fruit for the transporter.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Just returned from from Mekoryuk a couple weeks ago. I was tagging along with my buddy who had the permit. Bagged a nice bull on the second day in the field.

We did it all with James (Whitman). Good guy and very knowledgeable. If i ever draw myself i would not hesitate to book with him.

As already stated, bring a few fish boxes or medium size totes for meat. One large tote or large duffle for hide and skull. One thing to keep in mind though - AK Airlines won't let you check anything over 100 lbs. You'll have to ship it freight. We had to separate hide and skull in Bethel on the way back. In the bag together, weighed about 120 lbs, if i remember correctly.

Only saw two red fox while we were there. One from the plane as we were coming in. We were only in the field two days though. I know they're there. Tracks in the tundra all over the place. If you have a bull down and are still wanting a fox pelt, go to the "bone yard" and hunker down for a little while. James should fill you in.

Thanks for the information. I had planned on mailing some boxes (flattened) out there ahead of time. I have a big Cabelas duffle bag I had planned on using for the hide and skull...hadn't thought about the weight restriction though. I guess I will bring two then.

When ya leave Mekoryuk make sure it's on the first flight out so NAC and Alaska Air cargo will still be open when you get to Bethel. Otherwise you'll wind up having to check everything back to ANC and that gets expensive quick. I think the back haul rate with NAC was somewhere around 80 cents a pound. We messed up this year and got into Bethel around 6 pm. By the time we made it over to AK Air it was around ten minutes after they had closed the cargo office. Even though someone was still there they refused to help us out.

Congrats on the tag! I wrote up a post after my hunt several years ago. Below is the link. I reposted the pictures further into the thread as the originals disappeared somehow.

I started putting in for that tag this year. I'm surprised I didn't draw it since I got it on my first shot last time.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ally+Got+My+Ox

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Congrats on the tag! I wrote up a post after my hunt several years ago. Below is the link. I reposted the pictures further into the thread as the originals disappeared somehow.

I started putting in for that tag this year. I'm surprised I didn't draw it since I got it on my first shot last time.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ally+Got+My+Ox
    We have a common friend...and certain sketchy taxidermist in Wasilla :-) haha...that has told me about your hunt. I may give you a call sometime to chat.

Congrats on the draw. My wife also drew DX003 and we have made arrangements to go with James as well. PM me and I will share what I learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdterrier View Post
    Congrats on the draw. My wife also drew DX003 and we have made arrangements to go with James as well. PM me and I will share what I learned.
    PM sent...

I'll give another recommendation for James Whitman. I used him a few years ago. You can't go wrong with James.

I drew the dx003 for 2017 also! has anyone hunted with abe david before?

I hunted with Abe. Not a terrible experience, but if I draw again I will probably look at using somebody else to get a different perspective. I was told to expect him to ask me to bring something to him from town, which did happen. He asked me to pick up a tool set from Sears. It was a few hundred dollars, but also would have cost several hundred in extra bags fees to get it there since it was nearly 100lbs. I told him I'd pick them up and he could take the total amount off of my balance, but he didn't want to go for that. I brought down a cooler filled with 50lbs of fruit, vegetables and milk instead.

I have not but I am a guide out on Nunivak my name is James Whitman I can be reached at 07 360 7605 Congratulations!

I offer guided and transported hunts npbowhunter if you have not booked any one I can be reached at 907 360 7605! CONGRATS!!

I just looked at my original post and I wrote "Stickman" instead of "Whitman"... Woops. I can tell you my hunting partner and I have spoken several times with James regarding our hunt and the communication has been great. Tick tock, tick tock...11 months to go.

Always a waiting game!! Cant wait myself!!

whats the best airline to fly with out of bethel to get there?

I flew AK Air to Bethel and Grant out to Mekoryuk. At the time (6 years ago) Grant was cheaper than Hagelunds for the flight and for the excess weight/cargo fees. I had lots of AK Air miles, so I cashed those in for the Bethel flights. Be prepared for flight changes due to weather issues. I had a volcano that cancelled one flight, and bad weather cancel another. It took me three separate attempts to get out there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast