Thread: Trolling for Lake Trout Suggestions

Default Trolling for Lake Trout Suggestions

Hey Guys,

this thread may be a little premature, but I thought I would be proactive and get the ball rolling. I am planning on spending 3-4 weeks this summer at an undisclosed location with my family building a cabin with my wife and kids. Anyhow, I will have a boat and motor available and there are lake trout in the lake we are staying at. I have done a little bit of trolling for lake trout on Paxson Lake and we generally do pretty well trolling spoons and rapalas that imitate forage fish and salmon smolt. My question is what are some lures and set ups that I definitely want to bring with me? Bear in mind, only single hook artificial lures are allowed. So please give your input what works well and please be as specific as you can about what lures and or set ups work well.

Thanks,
    Bushwhack Jack

alot depends on the time of year. I would bring a selection on snap weights and a couple dipsey divers if going later when the fish are deep. Canoe spoons and other similar lightweight flutter spoons work well. I have had great luck with jims flashback spoons as well as pro-king and moonshine.
    scatter raps work great too and I would try a K13/14 kwikfish off a snap weight or lead core set up as well.

We use a lot of spoons (Daredevile Huskies, Lucky Strike 1/2 wave in the larger sizes, Canoe spoons and a local spoon called a Wolverine here in Yellowknife).
    we also use a lot of Flatfish in the T-50, T-55 and T-60 sizes (remove the front hook and replace the back one with a larger siwash). Equivalent sized Kwikfish are also a good bet.
    Large white tube jigs also work well when slow trolled and jigged.

I run 25# braid with a 40# flouro leader and a good snap swivel. Leader to braid is a double UNI knot.

You had me till the end when you mentioned single hook. If thats the case then I would get some 1oz banana weights, use about 5' leader and troll spoons. One of my favorites when I feel like switching things up is the rainbow pattern Pixi. They all work though, Dare Devels, Canadian Killers, Pixis.. One thing you want to do is use most of your free fishing time as early in the summer as possible. The whole month of June is excellent and it seems to really fall off right after the 4th of July when the lakes have turned and water is warmer. The fish seem to go deep and stay there untill they have the urg to feed. I personally use big Kwik fish in greens, reds, and chrome but I don't have the restrictions you have. Good luck!

Another good one is the j13 rapala, just get rid of the front hook and replace the rear with a single.
    Once you locate them jigging with tube jigs can be very effective and fun.
    Redleader standing by

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    alot depends on the time of year. I would bring a selection on snap weights and a couple dipsey divers if going later when the fish are deep. Canoe spoons and other similar lightweight flutter spoons work well. I have had great luck with jims flashback spoons as well as pro-king and moonshine.
    scatter raps work great too and I would try a K13/14 kwikfish off a snap weight or lead core set up as well.
    I thought about using dipsey divers. I've never used them. How are they to reel in when you got a fish on?

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    We use a lot of spoons (Daredevile Huskies, Lucky Strike 1/2 wave in the larger sizes, Canoe spoons and a local spoon called a Wolverine here in Yellowknife).
    we also use a lot of Flatfish in the T-50, T-55 and T-60 sizes (remove the front hook and replace the back one with a larger siwash). Equivalent sized Kwikfish are also a good bet.
    Large white tube jigs also work well when slow trolled and jigged.

I run 25# braid with a 40# flouro leader and a good snap swivel. Leader to braid is a double UNI knot.

Tube jigs huh? Just like the same setup that is used for ice fishing? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    You had me till the end when you mentioned single hook. If thats the case then I would get some 1oz banana weights, use about 5' leader and troll spoons. One of my favorites when I feel like switching things up is the rainbow pattern Pixi. They all work though, Dare Devels, Canadian Killers, Pixis.. One thing you want to do is use most of your free fishing time as early in the summer as possible. The whole month of June is excellent and it seems to really fall off right after the 4th of July when the lakes have turned and water is warmer. The fish seem to go deep and stay there untill they have the urg to feed. I personally use big Kwik fish in greens, reds, and chrome but I don't have the restrictions you have. Good luck!
    Thanks Steve, couldn't I just replace the treble with a single hook on the kwik fish or does it affect the action of the lure?

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    Another good one is the j13 rapala, just get rid of the front hook and replace the rear with a single.
    Once you locate them jigging with tube jigs can be very effective and fun.
    Thanks to everyone. Rep points coming soon. Sorry Drifter and Steve, I gotta spread some points around first. BJ.

BIG METAL= BIG/HUGE LAKE TROUT

little metal= little fish

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    BIG METAL= BIG/HUGE LAKE TROUT

little metal= little fish
    This one came on a T-55 Flatfish in Flo Orange, not metal.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    This one came on a T-55 Flatfish in Flo Orange, not metal.

HOLY HANNAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! That thing looks like a Taimen Drifter. Did you catch that hog? How long ago was that caught? I wonder if there are still pigs like that around.

no way your pulling that thing up an ice hole. thats for sure!
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Not too hard if using the right gear. one they "pop" they lie inline with the line. Run them on a medium heavy trolling rod with 50lb powerpro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I thought about using dipsey divers. I've never used them. How are they to reel in when you got a fish on?

Tube jigs huh? Just like the same setup that is used for ice fishing? Thanks.

Thanks Steve, couldn't I just replace the treble with a single hook on the kwik fish or does it affect the action of the lure?

Thanks to everyone. Rep points coming soon. Sorry Drifter and Steve, I gotta spread some points around first. BJ.

HOLY HANNAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! That thing looks like a Taimen Drifter. Did you catch that hog? How long ago was that caught? I wonder if there are still pigs like that around.
    I didn't catch it, I was the guide. It was caught the first week of August 1999.
    I spent 15 years guiding at Plummers Lodges on Great Bear Lake.
    Yes there are still fish this size around these parts. In fact there is usually one or two caught a year or close to it.
    This fish weighed in @ 64#'s.
    My buddy guided one this size in the summer of 2015, so they are still there.

A couple of small ones from the same week.

Hey Guys,

this thread may be a little premature, but I thought I would be proactive and get the ball rolling. I am planning on spending 3-4 weeks this summer at an undisclosed location with my family building a cabin with my wife and kids. Anyhow, I will have a boat and motor available and there are lake trout in the lake we are staying at. I have done a little bit of trolling for lake trout on Paxson Lake and we generally do pretty well trolling spoons and rapalas that imitate forage fish and salmon smolt. My question is what are some lures and set ups that I definitely want to bring with me? Bear in mind, only single hook artificial lures are allowed. So please give your input what works well and please be as specific as you can about what lures and or set ups work well.

Thanks,
    Bushwhack Jack
    tried to PM you, but it says you need to clear some space up!
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    tried to PM you, but it says you need to clear some space up!
    Sorry bro. Cleared some space. Send away.

Replacing the hooks on kwik fish does not change the action of lure. People do it all the time up here.