Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Picked up a vintage Marlin 60

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    146

    Default Picked up a vintage Marlin 60

    I ended up picking up a marlin glenfield model 60 today. Looks as if it was made in 73. Pictures will come soon. It was in sad shape, speckled rust, worn stock. Just the type that needs a new home.

    The comb is always high on a 60 for me to use with the irons, so first thing I did was cut it down to make it not raised. I'll get around to refinishing the stock one of these days. Got some parts on order, a new buffer, and some springs.

    It did function, but was dirty as sin. I'll get it cleaned up over the next couple days.

    Im figuring on putting a sling on it, and drilling out the stock for a small survival kit. I am a carpenter by trade, so I shouldnt have any problems with this. I'll try to get some pics of it as it happens, maybe even a youtube video if im feeling frisky.

    I know survival items would depend on location, but suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe something I havent though of. Right now, im figuring on a ferrocerium rod, some tinder in the form of cotton balls/vaseline, a few extra bullets, and a space blanket hopefully.

    This isnt my first model 60, but I went without a 22 for a little while. So im probably going to hang onto this one. It needs a good home.

  2. #2

    Default

    Might sound funny, but I'd put a tight little roll of dental floss in a small kit. I've spend a lot of time siwash camping in the woods, and I find lots of uses for twine, but almost always run out.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I ended up picking up a marlin glenfield model 60 today. Looks as if it was made in 73. Pictures will come soon. It was in sad shape, speckled rust, worn stock. Just the type that needs a new home.

    The comb is always high on a 60 for me to use with the irons, so first thing I did was cut it down to make it not raised. I'll get around to refinishing the stock one of these days. Got some parts on order, a new buffer, and some springs.

    It did function, but was dirty as sin. I'll get it cleaned up over the next couple days.

    Im figuring on putting a sling on it, and drilling out the stock for a small survival kit. I am a carpenter by trade, so I shouldnt have any problems with this. I'll try to get some pics of it as it happens, maybe even a youtube video if im feeling frisky.

    I know survival items would depend on location, but suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe something I havent though of. Right now, im figuring on a ferrocerium rod, some tinder in the form of cotton balls/vaseline, a few extra bullets, and a space blanket hopefully.

    This isnt my first model 60, but I went without a 22 for a little while. So im probably going to hang onto this one. It needs a good home.
    I have a thing for the old Marlin 60s. I have had real good luck with them. Keep them clean and they will function as well as most anything. I have two of them in the basement that need some TLC. They belong to friends who have bought new Savage A17s. I told them that I would have them in tip top shape by coon season.......and I will.

  4. #4
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    I have hollowed out a couple 22 buttstocks to accommodate some survival goodies like fire starters, xtra rounds, etc... I am surpised more gun makers have not designed this feature into a few "survival guns" - especially for xtra magazines... The 60 was a nice looking firearm for sure...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    146

    Default

    I tore down the lower assembly and am in the process of cleaning all the parts up.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have a thing for the old Marlin 60s. I have had real good luck with them. Keep them clean and they will function as well as most anything. I have two of them in the basement that need some TLC. They belong to friends who have bought new Savage A17s. I told them that I would have them in tip top shape by coon season.......and I will.
    Maybe for you. I bought one new in1970 and it was horrible. I spent more time clearing jams then shooting.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Its been my experience that clean or dirty, as long as they are lubed they will function. The rifle in question, has some wear on the feed throat but is still working. Dirty as sin when I got it, but functioned. Now, thoroughly cleaned, but still without any new springs, it still functions. It needs a new buffer as its cracked and im going to replace the hammer spring and recoil spring. I have all those on order. I forgot to order a magazine spring, but will find one of those shortly I reckon.

    I've had 3 ruger 10/22s though and all of them failed to eject without work. 2 of them were about ten years ago, and the last was about 2 years ago. I modified the ejector to have more of an angle on the hook and it solved the problem on the last one. I didnt work on the first 2.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    146

    Default

    I did get sling swivel studs installed. And I found a nice basic sling in town. http://www.amazon.com/Butler-Creek-M.../dp/B0002IOB0K One of these. I am packing the gun around with me a lot, and I wanted something basic, that I wouldnt mind if it got dirty or damaged. The grippy stuff on the inside is unobtrusive, but works good.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    146

    Default

    I finally got the replacement parts for numrich. The buffer has a larger hole than the original, which I expected. But the recoil spring was a little longer, and didnt allow the back of the bolt to reach the buffer. I shortened it 3/8 inch of so enough that it kissed the buffer. I am going to find a bushing for the hole in the buffer to keep it a little more forward. A little googling says aquarium hose will be just right for the purpose.

    Anyways, ive not have any issues with malfunctions or anything else. I did some informal target practice, and at 15 yards, put three well aimed shots touching, from the sitting position, but not supported well. So im expecting good accuracy for the gun when I sight it in better.

    The rear sight is cheap stamped metal, id like to find something a little better quality, that fits the style of the gun at some point.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    I love the little comb on my marlin 60, and hate to even consider removing it.

    My 60 is not Vintage. It is of recent nanufacture. Shucky Gee, it doesn't even have a wood stock. It just looks like wood.

    Nonetheless, it shoots accurately with irons or the scope.

    As to sights,,,,,

    http://www.tech-sights.com/marlin.htm

    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod26037.aspx

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Thanks for the link smitty. I've never seen the peep sights before. It might be just the ticket for the wife, whom prefers peeps.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Thanks for the link smitty. I've never seen the peep sights before. It might be just the ticket for the wife, whom prefers peeps.
    There is another sight maker company that has sights for the Marlin, but I can't think of it. You might wanna do some more research.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    146

    Default

    I have now hollowed out the butt stock, but havent put anything in it yet. The recoil spring I changed was changed back to the original. I purchased the spring from numrich, and turns out, the wire it was made from is a bit thicker than OEM. This causes the spring to stack longer than the OEM part. Gunsmith said its common for springs from numrich.

    I aint done much with the gun except shoot it a bunch and clean it occasionally.

    I am thinking about refinishing the stock. But, leaving it a beater means im not affraid to use it in any weather or conditions.

  14. #14
    Member akula682's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    1,187

    Default

    I love my model 60. I upgraded mine with a rear peep sight that clamps onto the scope rail and an upgraded front sight that screws into the same hole from the factory sight. (Worked so well i got a set of peeps for the 10/22.)
    I lost one of the screws for the trigger guard so its floating a bit, i need to get that replaced.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

  15. #15
    Member SteveAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    171

    Default

    I have 2 from 1993. Vintage? Used little bit.

    My dad picked up a used one in mid 1980s. Tack driver still. Don't know how old.

    Great guns.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    146

    Default

    I think its an overlooked gun for most shooters. Its a real workhorse. Mine is fairly accurate with irons. I may scope it, but havent decided for sure. I would like to scope it, just to see what kind of accuracy it will do, even if I dont leave it scoped.

  17. #17
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    It will shoot spruce hens in the head at fifty yards with a scope you do your part.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    I love my model 60. I upgraded mine with a rear peep sight that clamps onto the scope rail and an upgraded front sight that screws into the same hole from the factory sight. (Worked so well i got a set of peeps for the 10/22.)
    I lost one of the screws for the trigger guard so its floating a bit, i need to get that replaced.
    Test it throughly, before replacing the screw. "Free Floating the Trigger Guard" may turn out to be one of the better ways to enhance accuracy.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  19. #19

    Default

    I put an old Bushnell 3x9 Sharpshooter scope on mine and zeroed it in at 40 yards. It put five rounds into the size of a dime. Then I sat it by the back door so I could snuff that big squirrel that has been driving my bird dog puppy nuts. Uh huh, missed that big tree rat clean at 20 feet. He was so close the scope was fuzzy. it shouldn't have made any difference as far as hitting him....the scope being fuzzy part but I should have shot an inch or so over his head at that distance as the bullet wasn't anywhere near being up to the line of sight. I got him educated now.

    I really like the 60. I guess it takes me back to my early shooting days when all I had was a single shot 514 Remington and I laid awake at night wishing i had an auto loader.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    146

    Default

    I have been thinking of getting a non semi-auto 22 because, like most, i have a problem saving ammo with a semi-auto. Id like to find a marlin 39, maybe a good bolt gun. I havent decided, nor looked hard yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •