Thread: Slippery Laminate stocks?

Default Slippery Laminate stocks?

Does anyone know of an alaskan based gunsmith that does stock checkering? I really like the balance of my new Ruger M77 338WM with the Laminate stock but do find it to be a bit slippery. Contemplated putting some grip tape on the forend and grip area but thought I would see if it could be checkered for a fair price first. Thanks in advance

I haven't heard of any stockmakers up here, but will ask around. Checkering is a time consuming task, and hence expensive, even a basic pattern will run you $150-200. Also a mediocre job is very obvious.

Some other options would be aircraft non-slip, which is available in clear.

You could also pick up a good book and some tools from Brownells, makes a nice wintertime project.

Default grip

That aircraft non-slip, is that the adhesive grip tape kind? I was even thinking of the stuff I put on the exposed metal of my boat trailer for sure footed grip. I was quoted in the $120-$250 price range for checkering and for functionality that seemed to be too much for me. I dont need it to be pretty just functional.

Try hockey stick tape. I had the same problem, although only with gloves on.
    Dave

Default non-slip coating

If ugly doesn't matter, you might look at something like one of the polyurethane/rubber coatings. Choice of colors, too...black, pink, fuscia, etc! Similar stuff to the Rhino bedliner material. Online search showed several companies including Grizzly Grip and Durabak. Smallest quantity I saw was 1 pint for about $10. I know of folks who have used it for slick stocks and they say it is most assuredly non-slip. I haven't tried it though. Worth a look anyway.

Default Laminates

Just like to make an observation.

It's too bad that Ruger doesn't checker their laminate stocks from the factory. I really like the laminate on the Remington Mountain LSS. It's not only beautiful with the ebony forend cap and nutmeg color, it's also the perfect feel with the trademark(?) slim tapered forend and nice sharp checkering.

What I'm considering getting for my two model 70 S/S rifles are AI laminates with the full length aluminum bedding blocks. They can be custom tailored as far as colors and features. http://www.accurateinnovations.com/

Dave

Default Thanks

for the ideas. I have no intention of replacing the stock as I put the gun through a complete new barrell break in last week and then shot just to see what kind of accuracy it was capable of. With cheap Remington 250 grain Core Loks she shot about a 3/4 inch group at a 100 and that was with the 6-7lb trigger she came with(which will be reworked next week). I like the balance and wonderful accuracy of the rifle and dont plan on putting a bunch of money into it if you know what I mean. I am also having iron sights installed on it. Will probably just rig something up for grip purely for function as I dont really care how pretty it is. Just thought I'd open up options for my plan. Thanks again for the ideas

You might want to try this in Clear so it won't make your stock have two different colors or you can spray the entire stock.
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...?p=1140&s=4064

For a short term fix, check into the spray-on stuff from ThermaRest, the folks that make the backpack sleeping pads. It basically makes the nylon pad a little tacky so nylon sleeping bags don't slide off so easily. A can is pretty cheap, lasts well, and comes off easily and won't harm the stock finish. I've used it on several guns, and youcan hardly see it. It really feels tacky with gloves, yet barely so if at all to your hand.

Default Do it the cheap and easy way-boy does it ever work

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Does anyone know of an alaskan based gunsmith that does stock checkering? I really like the balance of my new Ruger M77 338WM with the Laminate stock but do find it to be a bit slippery. Contemplated putting some grip tape on the forend and grip area but thought I would see if it could be checkered for a fair price first. Thanks in advance
    I bought some Slip Doctors Extra Fine Clear Spray Coating...you cnnot see it...it dries in half an hour...but the grip on laminated stocks is fantastic. $20.00 buys you a lot of stock spray...and it is very easy to use. The price is right also.

Have you thought about stippling? It can be done by the novice and some of the results look pretty darn good. Some folks use nails, some use tiny Dremel bits and others use a wood burner w/ a sharp tip.Attachment 71522

Wow this thread is 7 years old!!!

Is that a new thread resurrection record?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Wow this thread is 7 years old!!!

Is that a new thread resurrection record?
    Prob'Lee. But it's a goodern.

My solution would be to wrap a bit of that black friction tape around the grip.

It works for axe handles and my ruger blackhawk.

My 280 doesn't have checkering, but I've not noticed it to be a problem.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Wow! Never even noticed the date. Guess you gotta be a moderator with sharp eyes to notice those things.

Has anyone yet suggested a light sand-blasting? Works well, isn't expensive, and is certainly long lasting . . .

You can also tape off the areas you want to add grip to and use a canned spray on bed liner, and get the grip color of your choice.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

"Firm Foot" slip resistant epoxy spray with grit by RESTORE-X works very well and comes in a number of earth-tone colors, we've painted at least 12 stocks with this paint and it is good stuff - RUSTOLEUM "multicolor textured" does an awesome looking texture and comes in several cool tones, I just did a stock in it (but haven't had a chance to test it's toughness - it is used for painting and protecting metal outdoor furniture and my guy at Miller Paint says it will hold up in the elements) - I just bought a can of "RUSTOLEUM EPOXY SHIELD" anti-slip clear coating at Home Depot that shows great promise, I coated an axe handle with the stuff and thus far appears real tough - (and for the nay sayers ... NO, it doesn't rub your baby soft cheek skin raw one tiny little bit) Some years back I had a laminated that I tried that light sandblast method on and it did work pretty darn good but it changes a little when wet