Thread: State Hide and Horn Auction, Sunday February 28th

Default State Hide and Horn Auction, Sunday February 28th

The State Hide and Horn Auction will be held this Sunday as part of the Fur Rondevous. The Auction takes place at the carnival buttress area on 3rd Avenue in downtown Anchorage. Items will be placed on display at 10am with the auction beginning at noon. You must pre-register to bid that morning at the auction location. The auction is ran by the Alaska Trappers Association with items coming from Fish and Game. Items purchased at the auction cannot be re-sold. Here's what will be available.
    30 sets of moose antlers
    5 sets of caribou antlers
    16 brown bear hides (some nice ones)
    15 black bear hides
    1 set of sheep horns
    1 muskox hide
    1 caribou hide
    6 beaver hides

I'd be interested to know what the various items sell for. Will that information be available sometime after the sale?

You can call the Anchorage Wildlife Info Center (907)267-2849 and they can answer questions about what the items sold for.

There were fewer items for sale this year but it seems like they brought more money. A lot of brown bear hides over $1,000 and several in the $2,000 range. The auction only lasted about an hour and fifteen.

Randy

I was finally able to score 2 cubs for a reasonable price. Tried a few times before and they were finally reasonable. 2 fully intact cub hides one for $85 and one for $110. Most of the black bear hides went from $85 to $300 ish. Pretty bad skinning jobs on most but what do you expect. It was warm and fun, I even made the Anchorage news - the camera definitely adds 50 pounds.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Gooch,

Sorry I missed you. Didn't even notice you there. You are right. The cubs usually bring as much as the full size bears. I didn't see Knight there this year. I talked to him a couple of years ago and asked him what the deal was on high priced cubs. He explained he had standing orders from all over the world for different sized bears and the auction was the only place to get the cubs. Made sense.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    He explained he had standing orders from all over the world for different sized bears and the auction was the only place to get the cubs. Made sense.
    I'll use this post to beat a drum I have beat before...............there is a demand for taxidermy bear hides. Black and brown, large and small. If the majority of hunters are legal hunters there should not be anything wrong with allowing us to sell bear hides. Whether you believe in "Intensive Management" or not, we would all likely benefit from a larger harvest of the 2 bear species. Selling hides would contribute to increasing harvest even w/o "Intensive Management"!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I believe you can sell black bear hides but not brownies. please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AKteach View Post
    I believe you can sell black bear hides but not brownies. please correct me if I am wrong.
    that is correct - tanned or raw hides.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

A quick fyi for those looking at buying a hide for taxidermy purposes.
    Make sure you take a close look at the face of the animal - there should not be cuts at the corners of the eyes, the nose septum should be split (the cartilage that goes down the center of the inside of the nose), the lips should be split, and the ears turned. The inner part of the ear should not be cut off - if you see hair through the ear hole, it was cut too short. Still workable for taxidermy if not terrible, but not ideal.
    The skin side (even when salted) should be white-ish tan in color. Orange skin means grease burnt - grease burn does not hold up well in tanning or over the long term, after tanning.
    look to make sure the foot pads are intact if you plan on a life size or half life size mount
    look for excessive damage to the hide - holes, bullet damage, etc
    keep in mind the hair/fur quality of the animal too. Many of the brown bears will have some (or a lot) of rubs. Some might look they belong in Africa.

good luck to all at the auction this year.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!