Thread: Spring Bear hunting

Default Spring Bear hunting

Hey guys,

Been a bit since I posted last, but I am starting to plan for a spring black bear hunt. I have only hunted for them a bit last fall and I am curious if there are any tips that anyone would be willing to share. I have scoured the forum pretty well and read things like "south facing hills" and "they will be feeding on grasses and fiddlehead ferns" so on. But, being as I am not going to have a lot of time on my hands, I am going to most likely be limited to the weekends. No bait, so I will be spot and stalking and around Anchorage area. I am not sure what type of terrain and elevation I should be looking at and what time they typically emerge from their den, does this mild and strange weather we have had this winter change any of their "normal" behaviors? I was thinking of maybe around the Turnagain Arm/Girdwood/Crow Creek area since I saw a few nice looking ones on the way to the trail head last fall. Thanks!

RaZe

All of those points you mention are good ones to follow. Miles on the boots and hours behind the glass is what it all really comes down to in the end. With the warmer weather you may catch one out at really anytime now, though I'm sure with the big snow dumps recently most have been pushed back in at higher elevations for a while. Keep walking and looking and eventually you'll find success.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

I did see this print 2 days ago up in Campbell Airstrip area. I should have put something next to it for scale, but it was bigger than my hand. Hard to make it out since I am not the most experienced tracker, and the weather was warm and rainy. But the toe area looked like claws to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

My younger boys go to Omalley Elementary. Yesterday they had indoor recess as a black bear was seen in the play ground.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by RaZe View Post
    Hey guys,

Been a bit since I posted last, but I am starting to plan for a spring black bear hunt. I have only hunted for them a bit last fall and I am curious if there are any tips that anyone would be willing to share. I have scoured the forum pretty well and read things like "south facing hills" and "they will be feeding on grasses and fiddlehead ferns" so on. But, being as I am not going to have a lot of time on my hands, I am going to most likely be limited to the weekends. No bait, so I will be spot and stalking and around Anchorage area. I am not sure what type of terrain and elevation I should be looking at and what time they typically emerge from their den, does this mild and strange weather we have had this winter change any of their "normal" behaviors? I was thinking of maybe around the Turnagain Arm/Girdwood/Crow Creek area since I saw a few nice looking ones on the way to the trail head last fall. Thanks!

RaZe
    Yes, south facing hills as well as avalanche chutes. The snow in the avalanche chutes will be gone sooner allowing the greens to start sprouting there first. But with the kind of winter, and the almost spring like weather we've been having I would imagine there's no tellin' where you'll find them....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I always thought that the deeper, packed snow in the avalanche chutes was the last to melt. I've seen snow in the Turnagain Arm avalanche chutes stick around until July.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    I always thought that the deeper, packed snow in the avalanche chutes was the last to melt. I've seen snow in the Turnagain Arm avalanche chutes stick around until July.
    Near the bottom of the chutes yes, but the snow that "was" in the steep stuff that let loose where the avalanche started is almost all gone now. All that snow at the bottom had to come from somewhere up above..... right?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!