Thread: Solo Hunt Pack Weight

Default Solo Hunt Pack Weight

For those of you that have gone solo on sheep hunts or similar, how much did your pack weight going in? What did your food weigh? Mine will be a 10 day to 2 week hunt.

My pack on solo sheep hunts has been about 45 pounds going in, but that is just an estimate. Although I probably should, I've never been an ounce counter and haven't put my pack on a scale.

Default 3 or 4

My 3-4 day pack weighs in around 35 pounds.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

i don't do many solo hunts but my weight going in with a client for a 8 day hunt is about 75lbs, but thats food for two people, they usually don't carry much other than their gear which is usually about 60lbs, 50lbs and a rifle, give or take. I found that most of my weight from my hunts don't come from the big gear, like sleeping bag, tent, spotter, clothes, but it seems to be from all the nik naks thats float around in my pockets, spare pins, bug dope, camera, batteries, headlamp, first aid kit, knives/sharpener, ammo, sat phone, gps...all that stuff seems to be where alot of my weight lies.
    lol at least that how it feels, cause my sleeping bag, tent and clothes only weight about 12lbs combined, packs about six empty, spotter and binos about 4, guns 7.4, even with extras thats only 40lbs +/- so its gotta be the extra like game bags and garbage bags and other forementioned stuff....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Almost all of my alaska hunts have been solo. For a 10 day hunt I find it hard to stay under 75lbs. I weigh everything to the ounce. I keep a file that has the weight recorded for all my equipment.

I take only freeze dried food for lunch and dinner, oatmeal packs for breakfast, 4 ounces/day trail mix and 1 hi-carb bar/day. Total food comes in around 10 pounds.

I have to compliment Brian M on staying at 45 pounds for a 10-14 day hunt. I have to say mine is about 70 lbs. I've tried to make it lighter, but tent, game bags, food, knife, first aid kit, water purification, rifle, pack, rain gear, everything, all comes in around 70 lbs for a 14 day hunt.

It does suck, going in, no doubt. However, my base camp is in the valley, so not all of it goes to the top of the mountain. I do spike camp with much less weight for many days on end...

Default pack weight

always seems to gravitate to about 60 to 65 lbs....and yes it does seem like all "little stuff" is what gets me. Rifle, tent and sleeping bag will weigh in at 11 +/- lbs ... then there is the binocs, spotting scope, range finder, head lamp, coffee cup, salt, TP and baby wipes, sun glasses, sun screen, game bags, freeze dried, stove, fuel, rain gear, 2 pair socks and 1 change underware, hat, gloves, camera and on and on.....and before long the pack is full!!! Just seems to be that way year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by DPhillips View Post
    I have to compliment Brian M on staying at 45 pounds for a 10-14 day hunt.
    No 10-14 day hunts for me, at least not yet. My solo sheep hunts have been 1-4 days, though I plan on a longer one next year. Easier to go lighter when you need less food and know the general forecast.

Default Solo

I have done several and my pack tends to weigh in at 65lbs, with my rifle strapped on the pack. Like most I go with almost all freeze dried, oatmeal, but I have found that snickers bars give me more sustained energy, than most trail mixes and power bars.
    65lbs also includes my sat phone, spotting scope and Canon GL2 camera.
    I have found that a stash at the run way of extras (food, ammo, etc.) helps cut weight. I tend to bring less ammo and food if I know a food stash is back at the runway.
    I skinny way down on extra clothing. I usually use a light weight rain jacket, with a layer to provide both wind, rain and cold protection.
    I go with goose down and a good tent, since after of sleeping 14+ years in the elements using good gear has never resulted in a wet sleeping bag.
    I also like the fact that goose down packs down really well. I use a cableas extreme outfitter pack and at 4700 cubic inches, I can pack everything inside the pack (packing in that is) and that seems to make a big difference in ease of packing the weight.