Thread: Afognak brown bear tag DB292 for next spring. Anyone willing to share some info.??

Default Afognak brown bear tag DB292 for next spring. Anyone willing to share some info.??

Hey all,

I drew the DB292 bear hunt for the central part of Afognak island. Ive never been to Kodiak or Afognak so it will be quite an interesting trip. I have done some research so far and yes i know its a year away but the more info that i can gather and put to good use the better i believe!! I have access to a float plane for drop off and pickup only, also i have a 28 foot cabin cruiser that i was thinking of driving over there, or ferrying my 20ft skiff over and launching out of Kodiak. So i have quite a few options to choose from to get over there just trying to figure out what is the most viable option money wise and of course it also depends on the weather at the time. A couple days before i head out for the hunt i do plan on flying over the hunt area to see what i can spot for bears and dens still being used.

Ive looked at the harvest reports for this hunt over the years but it does not specify what dates and where the bears were shot is there anyway to get a hold of this information? Anyone ever hunted this tag before willing to share some experience with the island? Is it worth paying to hunt the native land or can you get by fine without the land use permit? Any bays you would recommend checking out? Has anyone tried predator calling for bears in the spring? Again any information you can give me is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you for your time

Quote Originally Posted by FinalFlight View Post
    Hey all,

I drew the DB292 bear hunt for the central part of Afognak island. Ive never been to Kodiak or Afognak so it will be quite an interesting trip. I have done some research so far and yes i know its a year away but the more info that i can gather and put to good use the better i believe!! I have access to a float plane for drop off and pickup only, also i have a 28 foot cabin cruiser that i was thinking of driving over there, or ferrying my 20ft skiff over and launching out of Kodiak. So i have quite a few options to choose from to get over there just trying to figure out what is the most viable option money wise and of course it also depends on the weather at the time. A couple days before i head out for the hunt i do plan on flying over the hunt area to see what i can spot for bears and dens still being used.

Ive looked at the harvest reports for this hunt over the years but it does not specify what dates and where the bears were shot is there anyway to get a hold of this information? Anyone ever hunted this tag before willing to share some experience with the island? Is it worth paying to hunt the native land or can you get by fine without the land use permit? Any bays you would recommend checking out? Has anyone tried predator calling for bears in the spring? Again any information you can give me is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you for your time
    I had that tag last year and it was a great time, we stayed in Seahawks cabin in long lagoon, cruised the beachs in the am and saw many bears, finding hillsides that were glassable proved to be the most difficult task. I didnt hunt any of the native land. I believe 22 april was the day we started seeing them last year. I got my bear on the rocky beaches of Foul bay about 9-10 am we only saw one bear in the afternoon and it was back by the elk herd. I had a predator call but never used it, i was about 10 ft away from a big boy that got away, crazy how terrain and vegetation can conceal such a giant beast. Hope that helps.

I appreciate you taking the time to post on this thread. Thanks for the info SharkFighter!!! Congrats on the bear, i hope i will have as much luck as you did.

Hello, FinalFlight. I also drew a tag for next year, DB292, and am doing quite a bit of research early, so I can have plenty of time to plan. I spoke with quite a few folks from the Kodiak area at the Outdoors Show last week, but never got a lot specifics. Almost everyone was in agreement that there were plenty of bears there and Shuyak. I am looking at the western side mostly. The word I got was bears should be able to be found along the shorelines early in the a.m.. I am thinking about uses one of the public use cabins as a base camp, and having an inflatable dinghy or something to get around the bays an glass for shoreline bears. I am looking for someone to partner up with, for planning, sharing expenses, and safety. Let I will keep in contact on what I learn, and if later on you are looking for a partner, let's talk. Looking forward to seeing some post from folks hunting the area this year.

Congrats on the Draw Akrednec. I've got quite a few friends that have also told me the same thing that you should at least cover the beaches in the a.m. And that most of the island is covered in timber but the areas that aren't covered with trees are full of tag elder so thick you can't walk hardly. Although this I don't know if it is true I plan to go to afognak this fall deer and elk hunting late in the season to try and familiarize myself a bit with the island. I am also going to fly the island the day before or a couple days before I plan on hunting to see if I can spot any dens up high above the tree line and fly the beaches. To get an idea what direction would be a good one to head. So far my plan is to hunt the west side only, I don't plan on paying to hunt the native land. As of right now my idea is to drive my 28ft cabin cruiser from homer to kodiak but that's still up in the air because of the weather so I am going to make sure I have a plan B. Another option was to ferry one of my boats across and either sleep in that or rent one of the public cabins. I appreciate the offer and I will hold you to that but as of right now my dad and a family friend are planning on coming with me but that could change. I will keep in touch with you on that.

cabin cruiser out of Homer ??? if the weather is good no problem but it can be ruff out there an after the islands it is all open , I don't know how
    your time is but it can take just setting there waiting for it to clear so you can make it, towing a boat an take to Kodiak an run from there is a lot safer I think ,never have been over that way, but know of a few horror stories from the waves coming over the boat an all that stuff SID
    PS be safe

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    cabin cruiser out of Homer ??? if the weather is good no problem but it can be ruff out there an after the islands it is all open , I don't know how
    your time is but it can take just setting there waiting for it to clear so you can make it, towing a boat an take to Kodiak an run from there is a lot safer I think ,never have been over that way, but know of a few horror stories from the waves coming over the boat an all that stuff SID
    PS be safe
    Yeah I know weather is very dependent on it. If there is a hint of a storm coming within a week of going so far we plan on doing it. Unless we find a cheaper and better option but what I do know is that I will have a boat over there one way or another lol but thanks for the heads up SID!

I screwed that up ha I meant if there is a storm that may be in the forecast we will go a different route.

I remember the time a young man came into my Soldotna store. he inquired about using his narrow low side skiff to hunt tustemena lake.
    I cautioned "don't do it " Oh, we'll be fine we"ll hug the shoreline.Well, about 4 days goes by and he returns saying "wish I had listened"
    Boat swamped, lost all our gear, barely escaped with our life.
    So, moral of the story listen to those who know.!!!!