Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: JBER Question....

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45

    Question JBER Question....

    I've gone through the 'search' on it and fired off a Email...The shoot and orientation are two separate events or do they tie together on a weekend...Also any exceptions made in regards to people traveling...Thanks and good luck this year!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    284

    Default

    When I did the hunt 2 yrs ago, shoot was July with orientation (I had winter hunt) was like2 weeks before hunt I think. You have to give them your money at orientation. As far as working with you only the Range Control guys can answer that one.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    When I did the hunt 2 yrs ago, shoot was July with orientation (I had winter hunt) was like2 weeks before hunt I think. You have to give them your money at orientation. As far as working with you only the Range Control guys can answer that one.
    Thank you sir, I've got the Winter hunt...Found that a lot of the shoots were later in August!

  4. #4
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Yes, the orientation and shoot are the same day. My wife and I both had that tag two years apart. What exceptions are you looking for?
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Yes, the orientation and shoot are the same day. My wife and I both had that tag two years apart. What exceptions are you looking for?
    Just coming from out of state was hoping to do both on same weekend...Not a problem if not!

  6. #6
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Ah ya, your good to go. Both times we went you do the shoot in the morning and the orientation that evening.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Ah ya, your good to go. Both times we went you do the shoot in the morning and the orientation that evening.

    Good to know, thank you...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    sterling mi103
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Last year the archery proficiency was held 22-23 august with the orientation that same weekend for the fall hunts. The winter hunt orientation was held on 8 Dec. Call Dave Elliot on JBER at 907-552-0200 to ease your mind. He should be able to work with you to get everything done. You will receive your draw permit at your orientation after all your paperwork is verified and fees paid.

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chumsnagger View Post
    Last year the archery proficiency was held 22-23 august with the orientation that same weekend for the fall hunts. The winter hunt orientation was held on 8 Dec. Call Dave Elliot on JBER at 907-552-0200 to ease your mind. He should be able to work with you to get everything done. You will receive your draw permit at your orientation after all your paperwork is verified and fees paid.
    Excellent, thank you...Looking forward to it!

  10. #10
    Member Roger45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    966

    Default

    I drew the winter hunt a year ago. The orientation was provided once and we were only given about 3 weeks notice. The shoot was the next day. The hardest part for me is the lack of information on "when" they do these classes as you must go that particular weekend, no make ups. It cost me dearly as I had to leave the slope and lost five days of work due to plane schedules...but it was worth it :-) for the privilege of hunting in this special area.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I drew the winter hunt a year ago. The orientation was provided once and we were only given about 3 weeks notice. The shoot was the next day. The hardest part for me is the lack of information on "when" they do these classes as you must go that particular weekend, no make ups. It cost me dearly as I had to leave the slope and lost five days of work due to plane schedules...but it was worth it :-) for the privilege of hunting in this special area.
    Exactly, being former Air Force very excited for that and getting to chase a Alaskan Moose...Thanks again guys, appreciate it! If I can help out with any of the Western States info let me know...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    11

    Default

    FYI, Dave Elliott no longer works there, and I heard they weren't replacing the position.

    Quote Originally Posted by chumsnagger View Post
    Last year the archery proficiency was held 22-23 august with the orientation that same weekend for the fall hunts. The winter hunt orientation was held on 8 Dec. Call Dave Elliot on JBER at 907-552-0200 to ease your mind. He should be able to work with you to get everything done. You will receive your draw permit at your orientation after all your paperwork is verified and fees paid.

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rtarandus View Post
    FYI, Dave Elliott no longer works there, and I heard they weren't replacing the position.
    That could explain the no response to the Email....Lol

    Thanks...

  14. #14
    Member Lone Wolf1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    327

    Default

    These guys can get the info for you. They handle wildlife enforcement and access.


    https://jber.isportsman.net/Contact.aspx

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Thank you, appreciate it....

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Anyone seeing permits yet?

  17. #17
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 'Ike' View Post
    Anyone seeing permits yet?
    Permits are generally mailed out mid-July.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chugiak, AK
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Permits are not mailed out. You receive them at the indoc briefing but you should be hearing about the proficiency shoot and indoc briefing soon.

  19. #19
    Member Spanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    on the Creek
    Posts
    136

    Default

    I asked here on JBER to the isportsman guys (I have the permit as well) and it was stated "The Biologist will be sending out the info in July" so hold tight...if you don't hear anything by Aug 1st than raise the alarm.
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    Permits are not mailed out. You receive them at the indoc briefing but you should be hearing about the proficiency shoot and indoc briefing soon.
    Ah, that's what I was thinking...Thanks for clarifying that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanman View Post
    I asked here on JBER to the isportsman guys (I have the permit as well) and it was stated "The Biologist will be sending out the info in July" so hold tight...if you don't hear anything by Aug 1st than raise the alarm.
    Good deal, thanks and congrats also...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •