Thread: JBER Question....

Question JBER Question....

I've gone through the 'search' on it and fired off a Email...The shoot and orientation are two separate events or do they tie together on a weekend...Also any exceptions made in regards to people traveling...Thanks and good luck this year!

When I did the hunt 2 yrs ago, shoot was July with orientation (I had winter hunt) was like2 weeks before hunt I think. You have to give them your money at orientation. As far as working with you only the Range Control guys can answer that one.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    When I did the hunt 2 yrs ago, shoot was July with orientation (I had winter hunt) was like2 weeks before hunt I think. You have to give them your money at orientation. As far as working with you only the Range Control guys can answer that one.
    Thank you sir, I've got the Winter hunt...Found that a lot of the shoots were later in August!

Yes, the orientation and shoot are the same day. My wife and I both had that tag two years apart. What exceptions are you looking for?
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Yes, the orientation and shoot are the same day. My wife and I both had that tag two years apart. What exceptions are you looking for?
    Just coming from out of state was hoping to do both on same weekend...Not a problem if not!

Ah ya, your good to go. Both times we went you do the shoot in the morning and the orientation that evening.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Ah ya, your good to go. Both times we went you do the shoot in the morning and the orientation that evening.

Good to know, thank you...

Last year the archery proficiency was held 22-23 august with the orientation that same weekend for the fall hunts. The winter hunt orientation was held on 8 Dec. Call Dave Elliot on JBER at 907-552-0200 to ease your mind. He should be able to work with you to get everything done. You will receive your draw permit at your orientation after all your paperwork is verified and fees paid.

Quote Originally Posted by chumsnagger View Post
    Last year the archery proficiency was held 22-23 august with the orientation that same weekend for the fall hunts. The winter hunt orientation was held on 8 Dec. Call Dave Elliot on JBER at 907-552-0200 to ease your mind. He should be able to work with you to get everything done. You will receive your draw permit at your orientation after all your paperwork is verified and fees paid.
    Excellent, thank you...Looking forward to it!

I drew the winter hunt a year ago. The orientation was provided once and we were only given about 3 weeks notice. The shoot was the next day. The hardest part for me is the lack of information on "when" they do these classes as you must go that particular weekend, no make ups. It cost me dearly as I had to leave the slope and lost five days of work due to plane schedules...but it was worth it :-) for the privilege of hunting in this special area.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I drew the winter hunt a year ago. The orientation was provided once and we were only given about 3 weeks notice. The shoot was the next day. The hardest part for me is the lack of information on "when" they do these classes as you must go that particular weekend, no make ups. It cost me dearly as I had to leave the slope and lost five days of work due to plane schedules...but it was worth it :-) for the privilege of hunting in this special area.
    Exactly, being former Air Force very excited for that and getting to chase a Alaskan Moose...Thanks again guys, appreciate it! If I can help out with any of the Western States info let me know...

FYI, Dave Elliott no longer works there, and I heard they weren't replacing the position.

Quote Originally Posted by chumsnagger View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rtarandus View Post
    FYI, Dave Elliott no longer works there, and I heard they weren't replacing the position.
    That could explain the no response to the Email....Lol

Thanks...

These guys can get the info for you. They handle wildlife enforcement and access.

https://jber.isportsman.net/Contact.aspx

Thank you, appreciate it....

Anyone seeing permits yet?

Quote Originally Posted by 'Ike' View Post
    Anyone seeing permits yet?
    Permits are generally mailed out mid-July.

Permits are not mailed out. You receive them at the indoc briefing but you should be hearing about the proficiency shoot and indoc briefing soon.

I asked here on JBER to the isportsman guys (I have the permit as well) and it was stated "The Biologist will be sending out the info in July" so hold tight...if you don't hear anything by Aug 1st than raise the alarm.
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

Quote Originally Posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    Permits are not mailed out. You receive them at the indoc briefing but you should be hearing about the proficiency shoot and indoc briefing soon.
    Ah, that's what I was thinking...Thanks for clarifying that!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanman View Post
    I asked here on JBER to the isportsman guys (I have the permit as well) and it was stated "The Biologist will be sending out the info in July" so hold tight...if you don't hear anything by Aug 1st than raise the alarm.
    Good deal, thanks and congrats also...