Thread: Up High or Down Low?

Default Up High or Down Low?

So I've got this idea that I've been kicking around for awhile in my head and wanted some opinions. I've baited for a few years on and off so I'm not a complete novice, but by no means an expert.
    Anyways, I've always placed my sets at lower elevations, i.e. not in the mountains where the bears would be denning but towards the bottoms. This is for multiple reasons, access being one of them obviously. So I'm wondering if some people out there may do it differently and set up at higher elevations, like where there's still snow when the season opens. Not on top of the mountain obviously but somewhere mid-way we'll say. My idea stems around "thinking" that I may be able to catch one shortly after coming out for the year. I mean, it never seems to start getting real active until a bit later in the season anyways on my sets so the "go to them" approach" is what I'm tossing around.
    I'm not looking for spots obviously, I've got my eye on one already with decent access, just thoughts/experiences on the whole elevation game. Thanks Folks.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

One of my best early sets is up near tree line. Down low greens up quicker, and seems to draw bears early, but up high the scent hits them on the way out of the dens and seems to attract them early. Less travel is attractive to them, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    One of my best early sets is up near tree line. Down low greens up quicker, and seems to draw bears early, but up high the scent hits them on the way out of the dens and seems to attract them early. Less travel is attractive to them, I think.
    Yeah that's about the lines that I was thinking along. The spot I'm looking at is around 1500' and in reality will require a snowmachine to access until about mid May I think. I shot one spot and stalk up in the area in mid April a few years back but nearly killed myself in the avalanche shoot getting him out so I was thinking I'd try to get one to come to me this time.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.