Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet selection for youth bison hunt

Default Bullet selection for youth bison hunt

Since my daughters were coming of age to get their own permits, I selected a rifle that we all could utilize, and would be able to shoot a 200 grain bullet in the off chance that one of them pulled a bison tag. I picked up a Tikka superlight in 30-06 and installed a Limbsaver pad and muzzle break. I used it this season and took a nice moose with it. The recoil is less than that of my .243, and I've been very happy with the set up. I've been shooting 180 grain federal premium with very good grouping. I'm not into reloading, so I'm looking at over the counter rounds.

My 10 year old did just like her grandfather and drew Delta bison on the first attempt at applying for the tag. She's got the cow permit, so now it is time to start getting her familiar with the gun. I'd like to find the best 200+ grain ammo for this hunt, and I think I have it narrowed down to a few bullets.

1. Doubletap Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 200 Grain Nosler AccuBond Spitzer
    2. Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 220 Grain Speer Hot-Cor Soft Point
    3. HSM Trophy Gold Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 210 Grain Berger Hunting VLD Hollow Point Boat Tail

I'm looking for some input and/or suggestions on these bullets, or any others that you would offer a suggestion to. She will be practicing out to 200 yards, but my intent is to have a shot at the animal within 100 yards. I will be backing her up with the same rifle/bullet combo. Thank you in advance.

I'm a Nosler fan myself so I recommend the Accubond. They're a great bullet and hold up well with good penetration. Nosler also loads them in 200 gr. in their "Custom" ammunition line as another option; though they may be hard to find I'd expect. I've had great luck with them in the past on moose/bear and wouldn't hesitate to use one in your application. I've had a complete pass through on every animal I've shot with my '06 and 180's. I hand load but my #'s are pretty much factory so the performance is about matched to out of the box. Congrats on the tag and good luck at the range with your girl.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

I've used the double tap 200 grain accubond ammunition in my .325 WSM. They are incredibly accurate and really "give the wood" to whatever I'm shooting. Have taken caribou, black bear, moose and mt. goat with that package. All but the goat were one shot DRT's. I have yet to find any issues with doubletap ammo, and use the 200 grain controlled expansions on my glock 10mm.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Thanks for the replies. I numbered them 1 through 3 in the way that I was leaning. Nice to hear the Nosler Double Taps have some good reviews. I found all of these on Midway USA after doing some searching around on the net, and there are a few reviews for each type posted there as well.

I love noslers and especially love the accubonds, and I think they would work. But for a bison I would try to find a 200 gr or 220 gr partition.

You're not going to over stress a 200-220gr bullet in the '06- not enough impact velocity to cause problems.

I know two folks who took bison with a plain 220gr Corelokt...I'd think either that or a Federal 220gr soft point would be just fine.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Jerod, our familes have the same bison mojo going. My 72 year old mom drew Delta Bison on her first try in 2010, this year my 13 year old daughter drew Copper Bison on her first try. Dad drew Copper Bison in 2008, but he's been putting in every year just as I have.

Another great option would be the guys at Precise Ammunition. Have them make up a box of 200 grain Barnes TSX. That would be a killer round. They aren't cheap, but it is such a special tag. I think Jesse has used these guys in the past.

I'm going to load up the 200 grain barnes tsx for my daughters bison hunt. She'll be using my son's Ruger American 308. I'll be backing her up with "big thumper", my 375 h&h pushing 300 grain TSX.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I would definitely stay away from the #3 Berger VLD. the purpose of that round is long range (700+yards) high ballistic coefficient to retain velocity. The bullets are constructed to shatter and cause shock at extreme ranges, not hold together and or break bone.

I have never shot them but have friends that do with their 1000yd rifles. However I have seen "failures" on up close (100-200 yds) shots on elk where the Berger bullet explodes with little penetration. Personally I am a Barnes fan since they have never failed me or anyone I know.

I have used the Berger bullets in my .270 and have killed 2 caribou and one moose. If it doesn't hit bone you are ok, but if you hit bone you might as well call them burger bullets. They explode. I will not be using them again. Shots were from 100 yards to 500 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Grayson View Post
    I love noslers and especially love the accubonds, and I think they would work. But for a bison I would try to find a 200 gr or 220 gr partition.
    My daughter had a Delta tag in 13/14. I loaded up 200 gr. partitions for her hunt.........however, a Bison is not as wide as a Moose. Many kinds and weights of quality bullets would go right thru is hit from the side. The requirement for a 200 gr. bullet is malarky in my opinion. The animal even has a much smaller shoulder blade than a moose.
    Aren't you in Fbks, Jerod? Your welcome to come over with your favorite bullet and try out my reloading stuff. I have 30-06 dies and some powder.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post

I'm going to load up the 200 grain barnes tsx for my daughters bison hunt. She'll be using my son's Ruger American 308. I'll be backing her up with "big thumper", my 375 h&h pushing 300 grain TSX.
    I'd be interested in seeing the load data on that .308 load. Bullet weight is one thing, but getting the velocity is another. You must be getting some serious pressure in the .308 case in order to have the down range velocity.

I shoot 180 grain nosler partitions out of my Tikka 308 and they are super accurate if it's worth anything to the discussion. I know what kind of job they do in my 338 in the 250's on moose and they surely would whop a bison plenty hard.

You should takeup martentrapper and use a barnes boolit. The barnes like a bit if jump and start just short of max a couple grains and work up to it incrementally. Use preshot brass. You will like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    1. Doubletap Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 200 Grain Nosler AccuBond Spitzer
    2. Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 220 Grain Speer Hot-Cor Soft Point
    3. HSM Trophy Gold Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 210 Grain Berger Hunting VLD Hollow Point Boat Tail
    None of the above and the Bergers are just a terrible idea. They are a long range hunting bullet for small to medium bodied game and nothing more. If you hold a gun to my head I would say #1, but I don't think AccuBonds (I use them and love them) are in the class bullet advisable for really large, heavy bodied, heavy muscled, heavy boned, potentially dangerous game like a bison. I would advise something with a partition or a solid metal bullet. Barnes TSX, Swift A-frame, Nosler Partition, and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw would all be towards the top of the "good idea to use" list.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    My daughter had a Delta tag in 13/14. I loaded up 200 gr. partitions for her hunt.........however, a Bison is not as wide as a Moose. Many kinds and weights of quality bullets would go right thru is hit from the side. The requirement for a 200 gr. bullet is malarky in my opinion. The animal even has a much smaller shoulder blade than a moose.
    Aren't you in Fbks, Jerod? Your welcome to come over with your favorite bullet and try out my reloading stuff. I have 30-06 dies and some powder.
    Yes, I am in Fairbanks. I may take you up on this, even bring Hunter to let her make her own bullet to use on the bison if that is okay. I believe I have a box or two of -06 brass that I have kept. Thank you for the offer! I'll drop you a PM when I get a moment.

Thank you all for the replies. I've only been able to find one over the counter 220 grain -06 shell, and they were the same ones my dad used about 5 years ago. They shot terrible and we weren't impressed at all with them.

BrettAKSCI and Tlingitwarrior have it correct on the correct bullet type (Barnes TSX, Swift A-frame, Nosler Partition, and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw etc). I spent some time with ADF&G Wood Bison biologists who also oversee the Plains Bison in Delta. For years they have had cull a few animals. After much shooting of bison, their recommendation to me was those bullets and being able to drive three bullets into the heart/lung area as being the most humane way to drop a bison. So make sure you have your youth practice 2-3 shots and not just one.

Sobie2

Whichever shoots best in your rifle at 300 yds..........

Either a Barnes X or a Nosler Partition. A 200 grain bullet would be good if the young one can shoot it. These 2 bullets provide deep penetration and have a long history of success on big tough animals. The only reason we have all this bonded, tipped, boat tailed stuff is to catch hunters at the sales counter. None of them are an improvement over the X or Partition bullet when it comes to killing big tough animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. I've only been able to find one over the counter 220 grain -06 shell, and they were the same ones my dad used about 5 years ago. They shot terrible and we weren't impressed at all with them.
    I would take a quality 200 grain bullet over a crap 220 grain bullet every day and twice on Sunday. In fact I would probably take a quality 180 grain bullet over a crap 220 grain bullet for bison.

Brett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast