Thread: Leupold CDS experience

Default Leupold CDS experience

Hello,

I have been wanting to try out a CDS scope and wanted to know peoples experiences? CDS vs fixed reticle? Whats the process of getting the correct turret and how accurate have they been?

I am looking for a new scope for a 338 and would like to put one on my mountain gun.

As always I appreciate the input.
    NRA life Member JVJ

I have that system on two Leupold scopes, and I thought it was a great I idea. But, for me it was not of value. I think that for a young hunter or a new hunter, it would have value and usefulness. I just forget that it is available for me to exploit, after six decades of hunting, it is all instantaneous. The distance is estimated based on experience, the over hold is calculated based on experience, the allowance for wind drift is calculated automatically as the rifle comes up.

Now is the automatic adjustments in my head, based on experience flawless.......??? NO it is not.

It is just that after 60 years of hunting and harvesting I forget that the CDS/BDC is available to me. I do use the illuminated reticle feature in low light environments and/or high danger environments. Guess it is hard to teach a geriatric dog new tricks. I have never owned or used a range finder either.

I also thought it was going to be a great idea, as at the time I wanted to get bullets for my .300 reloaded, and once I got a good hot load dialed in that scope would be customized to it for different ranges. The problem is, I never really kept pursuing the process of making reloads, as long as a 25 dollar box of Remington Core-Lokts keeps knocking them down in 1 or 2 shots, I'll keep shooting those. Without being customized to your load, the cds dial is pretty much useless.

The major thing I hate about the scope is that the cds dial SPINS FREELY. This is a major problem to me, as it can spin all the way around and past 360 degrees. So when you look at the top of your dial and it is a couple of clicks to the right of 0, does that mean it got bumped a few clicks over, or has it spun almost 360 degrees around??? no way to be sure until you shoot and see your bullet hit a dirt mound a foot above your target. This has happened to me before. I have a gun boot with the cotton padding inside, when I yanked the gun out of the boot to shoot at a 'bou, that padding must of rubbed the dial as the gun was pulled out - spun the thing probably more than 360 degrees! Now I have a nice scope with electrical tape over the dial to keep it from spinning......

On the bright side, its got a beautiful lens, pretty good in low light - 9 power magnification is pretty good, not fuzzy.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

This is interesting as I was looking at this setup as well. Did the set screws loosen up? I figured that the clicks clicker thingy (for lack of a better vocabulary) would be more positive and not allow it to turn so easily. Hmmm interesting, I may have to rethink this as mine rides in a gun boot too.

I had my tactical turret on mine spin more than 360 and my windage turret half that on my way out on my wheeler. It was slung on my back. I didn't notice till later that eve. But it cost me a few nice shots at 70 yard wolf.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

It's a nice concept but stadia lines or mil dots are better and quicker than dialing. Secondly, as most anything that is mechanical, things loosen up, wear out and loose tolerances. The less moving parts the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I don't care for them at all. The CDS dials easily turn with little effort, and if you walk around with your rifle shouldered or strapped to your pack then they can spin and without looking before you shoot your rifle the zero could be way off. I prefer and use the M1 turrets or the capped target turrets from Leupold on my rifles.

I put a vxII 3-9 cds on my Kimber Montana in 325wsm and I love it. it works for either hand loaders or guys who only shoot factory ammo. once you get your rifle sighted in, you call leupold and give them the basic info they need to make the turret for you. make, grain, bc, fps average temp, normal hunting elevation, height if rings and bases, ect. I don't think I will ever get another kind of scope. I can dial mine into the back of the range in Juneau and ring the plate every shot at 450 yds.

I put a 3x9 CDS on a 280 to do some western states hunting for mule deer and antelope. I have not had that chance yet but the combo performs very well for me on paper. I could see it being a decent goat/sheep combo as well, but for most hunting scenarios it is probably not a big added value. Now shooting big country coyotes could also have some merit...
    Having one gun in the arsenal set up this way is probably enough unless you are really into long range shooting......
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have that system on two Leupold scopes, and I thought it was a great I idea. But, for me it was not of value. I think that for a young hunter or a new hunter, it would have value and usefulness. I just forget that it is available for me to exploit, after six decades of hunting, it is all instantaneous. The distance is estimated based on experience, the over hold is calculated based on experience, the allowance for wind drift is calculated automatically as the rifle comes up.

Now is the automatic adjustments in my head, based on experience flawless.......??? NO it is not.

It is just that after 60 years of hunting and harvesting I forget that the CDS/BDC is available to me. I do use the illuminated reticle feature in low light environments and/or high danger environments. Guess it is hard to teach a geriatric dog new tricks. I have never owned or used a range finder either.
    Gadgets are not for everybody. Especially guys that have been hunting forever without them using the same rifle or rifles that are very similar ballistically speaking. Kentucky windage is real or at least I'm not about to be convinced differently. I could hunt the rest of my life with fixed power scopes from 2x and never more than 6x. That doesn't mean I'm right......just an old dog still getting rewarded for old tricks....don't need to learn any new ones😉.

Awesome system. I have 3 rifles set up with CDS and all perform as they should moving from one distance to another and back. I have not had the dial spin but I'm not climbing through Alders either. The leupold rep I spoke with awhile back suggested the VX-3 vs VX-2 because is has an extra spring inside the scope which will make your elevation adjustments virtually guaranteed. The one spring systems like most low end scopes may or may not adjust. If your an oldtimer like me, it was common to see people adjust a scope and then knock on the elevation dial to ensure the adjustment was made).

Great info guys. With the CDs are you just keeping it set at 100 yes for quick shots and if time is available, range, adjust fire?

Looking to make the decision in the next week. Would be a vx3 3-10x40. Thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

I've spoke to Leopold about the problem with the dials spinning without you knowing it. I suggested changing the dial so you have to raise it up to turn it and change the settings. Easy fix. I've since found out several other scope manufacturers do this exact thing. Other then that problem, the dials work outstanding when you have to take a longer shot then you'd like. You also must have your rangefinder with you to take all the gues work out of it. We've been shooting out to 1000 yards with the CDS dials at our range. Something I wouldn't have a chance doing without them.

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Great info guys. With the CDs are you just keeping it set at 100 yes for quick shots and if time is available, range, adjust fire?

Looking to make the decision in the next week. Would be a vx3 3-10x40. Thanks
    Mine starts at 200 yards on the dial...not an option for 100 yards.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....