Thread: First Alaska Yote

Default First Alaska Yote

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160128_121031.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	88470

Shot my first yote here in AK a few weeks ago. Didnt get around to sharing.

Was out checking my trap line and thought I heard a howl. Went about my business setting a few footholds in an area that I found with some traffic. Heard it again. Figured I needed to get a look and it couldnt be the wind 2x. Started looking around and spotted 2 coyote about 800 yds away on a gravel bed nosing around. Not having a predator call on me I channeled my inner Frank Glaser and let out a howl as loud as I could to get there attention. Low and behold those suckers turned around! I laid down behind a fallen spruce in some snow so I could see down the river bank but stay concealed and dug in. I proceeded to yelp and howl every time they stopped as they continued on towards. They came in to a little over a hundred yards which normally is a good range but it was a bit windy and I was carrying my .17 hmr. I let out a little softer bark and they moved to the right. By this time one was standing a bit behind the other but the close one was about what I guessed to be 80 yds or so. Good enough for me. I let one round fly and smacked this little lady right through the ribs. Bang she hit the ice. I turned to try an attempt on the second one but it saw the commotion and made some fast tracks to a safe distance. I stayed covered up and continued to howl and bark but it wasn't gonna be fooled 2x. I stayed down for another 10 mins trying to convince it otherwise but finally got enough snow in my shirt to give up. When I went down to retrieve it the other coyote finally hauled outta there.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Name:	20160128_121058.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	88471

One more shot.

Congratulations! That is super cool that you called it in by voice alone. How has the trapping been going?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Congratulations! That is super cool that you called it in by voice alone. How has the trapping been going?
    I was very surprised and pleased to call it in by mouth without a call assistance. It just breathed some life to all the cool stories I read about the old timers in books.

trapping has been poor at best. Very windy, very warm. Had a set of yote tracks walk right past a snare that a rabbit must have knocked down. Harvested a couple ermin and a metric ton of rabbit. Our other big issue is getting the rabbit out of the traps before providing a free meal to something that catches it there. If the temps continue their current trend the set will likely have to be pulled or any catch will spoil before I can get to it since it takes almost an hour to get to my line and I can only check it on the weekends with my work schedule.

Excellent C6! I would have loved sitting nearby and watching that action take place. Very cool. Thanks for posting that and congrats.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post

Name:	20160128_121031.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	88470

Shot my first yote here in AK a few weeks ago. Didnt get around to sharing.

Was out checking my trap line and thought I heard a howl. Went about my business setting a few footholds in an area that I found with some traffic. Heard it again. Figured I needed to get a look and it couldnt be the wind 2x. Started looking around and spotted 2 coyote about 800 yds away on a gravel bed nosing around. Not having a predator call on me I channeled my inner Frank Glaser and let out a howl as loud as I could to get there attention. Low and behold those suckers turned around! I laid down behind a fallen spruce in some snow so I could see down the river bank but stay concealed and dug in. I proceeded to yelp and howl every time they stopped as they continued on towards. They came in to a little over a hundred yards which normally is a good range but it was a bit windy and I was carrying my .17 hmr. I let out a little softer bark and they moved to the right. By this time one was standing a bit behind the other but the close one was about what I guessed to be 80 yds or so. Good enough for me. I let one round fly and smacked this little lady right through the ribs. Bang she hit the ice. I turned to try an attempt on the second one but it saw the commotion and made some fast tracks to a safe distance. I stayed covered up and continued to howl and bark but it wasn't gonna be fooled 2x. I stayed down for another 10 mins trying to convince it otherwise but finally got enough snow in my shirt to give up. When I went down to retrieve it the other coyote finally hauled outta there.
    That's awesome! I've never heard of anyone doing that before. When I've been to the zoo with my kids I always give out a howl to the coyotes and wolves and can usually get them to respond to my calls. They usually start howling back. But I've never heard of anyone doing that with wild coyotes before. Good for you. I've got terrible luck with the coyotes. I've called a few in with my fox pro, but I always manage to screw things up somehow. I either miss, get blown, wound, have an equipment issue, you name it. I always seem to screw it up royally. I got canine fever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    That's awesome! I've never heard of anyone doing that before. When I've been to the zoo with my kids I always give out a howl to the coyotes and wolves and can usually get them to respond to my calls. They usually start howling back. But I've never heard of anyone doing that with wild coyotes before. Good for you. I've got terrible luck with the coyotes. I've called a few in with my fox pro, but I always manage to screw things up somehow. I either miss, get blown, wound, have an equipment issue, you name it. I always seem to screw it up royally. I got canine fever.
    The only reason I even tried it was because I just finished Alaskas Wolf Man. We had one come in to the call a few weeks ago but I didnt see it and my buddy blew the shot.

That's a great story! And what Cod said, would have been fun to be a squirrel perched on a branch watching. Fun stuff. Glad you found your Frank! That's the same rifle I've got in the .17. Sold my little .17M2, just could not see a reason to keep it around. Good going C6,
    ARR

Well done c6, because I have spent untold hours sitting in deer stands bow hunting deer I have had several run ins with coyotes. I have mouth called in three that I remember - missed one and never got shot at other two. I called in one for my son making mouse squeek type noises and he could not get his bow drawn without getting busted. I shot one with a bow and the trick was to draw as early as possible and then not try to stop it - just take a walking shot - they are just too darn smart and perceive any movement as danger usually.. Broke ones front leg this past fall taking a walking shot and led it a bit too much...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nice job Chris don't know who has more hair you or the yote LOL congrats
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Well done c6, because I have spent untold hours sitting in deer stands bow hunting deer I have had several run ins with coyotes. I have mouth called in three that I remember - missed one and never got shot at other two. I called in one for my son making mouse squeek type noises and he could not get his bow drawn without getting busted. I shot one with a bow and the trick was to draw as early as possible and then not try to stop it - just take a walking shot - they are just too darn smart and perceive any movement as danger usually.. Broke ones front leg this past fall taking a walking shot and led it a bit too much...
    They are extremely crafty and I've been back to the same spot since and they have been very apprehensive and smart. For a critter that will take a dump on its food they are very smart.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Nice job Chris don't know who has more hair you or the yote LOL congrats
    The yote does for now.