Thread: Getting ready to strap on the boots and start putting in work.

Default Getting ready to strap on the boots and start putting in work.

So with this strangely warm winter and minimal snow in most of the areas I hunt (key word most) I think I will start making my way out to scout a few new locations and start cutting lanes. I pref. to have lanes cut before the bears are truly active to allow a more natural setting for them rather than a "oh crap all these trees were still standing when I walked around this area last week". Who else is going to start putting in some work well before the season opener. I have heard some reports of bear tracks spotted in areas around 14 up to 16 (sparse but there are a few roaming it seems.)

All in all good luck to everyone this season.

And remember folks..... Do not get discouraged late in the season... This bear came in 2 days before the close in unit 14 at a well known area.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Gearing up with a few last minute items and chores before the season opens. Gotta throw some new front wheel bearings on the wheeler and realign the axle on the trailer (long story with a couple blown tires there!) and picking up a tree stand. My son needs to do his baiting clinic and then its off for some scouting. Looking forward to some fun with my boy and who knows, we may even get one of us our first bear!

Thats the biggest part is putting in scouting time. Get a area picked out (berry patches are a great start) look for a near by water source (I pref. smaller streams/creeks etc) find something that has good cover and cut a few lanes in. DO NOT Get discouraged if you do not get hit right away... many of my stations are untouched for weeks but when the action takes place (usually browns first then the blackies roll in) the excitement kicks in full force. Give the bears something they are willing to risk their life for (dont just toss out the normal dog food and a little scent... make them want to choose your texas road house over the neighborhood wendys.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Scouted yesterday and found what seems to be a good spot. This will be my first attempt at baiting so I don't have much to go on. Was beautiful out - seems like full on spring!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Good luck I am currently scouting a place very close to home with the 14B changes it will let me play when I do not have the ability to spend a day or 2 in the bush at my normal honey hole(s).