Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: grizzly meat salvage

Default grizzly meat salvage

What do you guys do with your grizzly meat you salavge from bait sites?
    required to salvage but no one will take it as a donation...does that tell us something?!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

we eat it.. its delicious as long as its not taken near a salmon stream/river. We had a nice 7ft brown stuffed in the freezer last year and it was great.... but you will know once you open him/her up if its been on the fish... most of our bears come from berry patches and you cant tell the difference usually.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I tried my fist brown bear meat a couple years ago. It was from a young spring sow a buddy shot. When I was skinning her the meat actually smelled kinda sweet. I knew I had to finally try it. It wasn't terrible or anything. I just didn't care that much for the kinda greasy after taste it left in my mouth. Didn't eat much of it after that. From the way it tasted, at least that particular bear, I would imagine that it would make some pretty good sausage.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

As noted above, as long as its not been into the salmon streams or eaten a lot of carrion, eat it. My daughter actually prefers the taste of grizzly over caribou. To get rid of the greasy taste, we actually cut off every piece of fat we can find and then parboil the meat. Gets rid of any remaining fat and starts the cooking process. Although others may not agree, make sure you cook bear meat well.

I've eaten brown bear probably a dozen times. Most of them were surprisingly excellent table fare. Bear stew, meatballs, and sloppy joe were some of my favorites.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    What do you guys do with your grizzly meat you salavge from bait sites?
    required to salvage but no one will take it as a donation...does that tell us something?!
    Surprisingly few replies. Does that tell us something?!

I'm optimistic that the ones that did reply did enjoy it. Makes me wanna try it...

If only one was to show up...
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

i've had it twice, it was memorable...and not in a good way.
    Master guide 212

It should also be noted that "almost" all of the brown bears I've eaten were either spring brownies or interior bears or berry bears. The two times that I had brown bear and did not like it, these bears were fall bears with access to salmon. Also, the people who cooked the bears and processed them used other fats and meats to compliment it. For the record, I'm also not a picky eater
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Like everyone else has stated it all depends on what they've been eating. In reality in the spring, if you do a black bear set and happen to shoot a brownie over it, then I'd hazard to guess that they've been eating the same as the blackies as they're obviously in the same area so would taste the same. Any salmon they may have eaten in the fall wouldn't have any effect on the taste in the spring. I know that when I get one I'll have a lot of sausage on hand but I'm going to try and make some hams out of them as well. Possibly some burger. I'm lucky though as I raise pigs and have a lot of fat to mix with it. Though I'm pretty sure you can find that pretty easy at the grocery stores if you ask for it.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

The one time I had brown bear and had my friends try it...well these were my friends words..."it tastes exactly like salmon!" I then had to remind him it was supposed to be similar to beef.

I've eaten two hatcher pass spring brownies. One from mid May, one from late May. Both tasted excellent. Front shoulders on the later boar were like iron, but still ground into good sausage. The fattiness of bear creates excellent sausage. We just had dall sheep steak and eggs for breakfast- and my wife said she really really wished it was bear!

A lot of what you hear about brown bear meat stems from peoples' preconceptions of it rather than actual experience. And if not that, from poor field care and/or kitchen prep. Face it, some people just can't cook, but aren't about to admit it.

My buddy shot one way back in eureka a few years back while hunting bou. I kept the back straps and cooked them up that night. I sure wish I had kept more meat. It was pretty tasty. That blueberry griz was good eatin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

what about the folks who don't like it or can't find someone to give it to, whats the SOP for the meat then? i know it has to be salvaged. but what does that entail...taking it home then? i know it can't be used for dog food or bait.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    what about the folks who don't like it or can't find someone to give it to, whats the SOP for the meat then? i know it has to be salvaged. but what does that entail...taking it home then? i know it can't be used for dog food or bait.
    Ah, the old gray area of "what do salvage requirements actually require". Unfortunately from the way it's written, and from what I've heard, as long as you salvage the meat, i.e. take it home with you, after that it's pretty much the skies the limit as to the individuals thoughts. Meaning that you don't actually have to eat it but you can't leave it in the field. It does state, like you mentioned, that it can't be used for bait or dog food, but it doesn't say you can't throw it in a dumpster; and unfortunately I'd hazard to guess that's exactly what happens with a good portion of what's harvested every year. It's been gone over on other threads pertaining to other animals/situations in the past so to keep it short I think it really comes down to the morals/ethics of the particular hunter. Personally, I'd be eating it. Though if it really was that awful then it would get fed to something else and as long as it got used and not wasted I wouldn't worry about repercussions.
    Honestly though, I don't think you're going to have any issues with the taste of a spring brownie. Like I stated above, they're eating the same thing that time of year as the blackies in any given area (mainly greens and a dead moose if they're lucky) and any fish they may have eaten in the fall would have no effect on the taste whatsoever. Too much time has passed for it to have any bearing. And as willphish stated, most of the time people finding brown bear to have an off taste is from negative preconceptions and it's completely mental on their part. Like me, I think catfish tastes like mud because someone told me they did when I was a kid; so now every time I try it, it does, though I have friends that love it. I keep trying it though in hopes that I can get over myself.
    Worse comes to worse, make a crap ton of Chorizo out of it and give a bunch away. It's got enough spice in it to cover up most anything.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Well I've skinned one to many gut shot grizz
    To want to put that stuff in my mouth ever again. Haven't salvaged grizz meat in almost twenty years. If someone out there wants grizz meat shoot me a pm and get on the list and I will try and keep some in your freezers whenever I get a chance.
    Master guide 212

Would be great to get a definitive answer on this. I'll send a note to the local trooper and get her take, and let you guys know.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

2 years ago the neighbors friends from WY shot a legal bull moose. Their outfitter/transporter let the meat sour. They brought it out with them and we called the f and g to report it. They asked if the hunters salvaged all of the meat. Answer was yes. They told us that we had met the requirements. Nothing they could do to the outfitter as it was a civil matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't eaten a lot of brown bear meat, but have eaten enough over the last 15 yrs to honestly say that I've had more good then bad.
    How they smell while breaking them down after killing them tells me a lot. Most have smelled and looked great, no different then a caribou or moose..
    The ones, including blackies, that once were opened up and smelled like fish, or that "different" gamey odor per se', didn't pan out so well. I don't know, it's just a gut feeling or an odor that sticks in my head... Everyone's different I suppose...
    Like anything you shoot, especially bears, it's a crapshoot.
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of bear steaks or roasts. Maybe it's the sinew and greasiness...But for mixed stuff like sausages, ground, links, brats and whatnot. They've actually been great!!

Default grizzly meat salvage

Can't get past thinking about those tape worms long enough to put a lip over it. The Interior ones might be different though.

The question before the forum members is "NOT" your opinion about taste.........

The question is, What in your understanding, is required as far as salvage of Grizzly/Brown Bear meat, when it is required by regulation.

For the purpose of this discussion, assume it is not consumed by any human. That it ends up someplace other than a human digestive system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast