Thread: Db468

Default Db468

So I drew DB468, Eklutna area archery brown bear. I am beyond excited for this hunt. I've looked at some maps and I've been back there in a kayak a while back. I think Im gonna try up high and work down since it starts Sep and there should be some berries back there. Anyone hunted this area on this tag before? How is the trail in there? Im wondering if I should just use the lake to gain access to the back of the area or if I should ATV/hike in up the hill.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

There is a member here who arrowed a nice bear a few years ago up there. Shot it over a moose gut pile, I believe. He posted a good story with pictures that would be worth searching out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    There is a member here who arrowed a nice bear a few years ago up there. Shot it over a moose gut pile, I believe. He posted a good story with pictures that would be worth searching out.
    I'm pretty sure that one is the only bear ever taken in the short history of this hunt - or at least it was when it was taken.

I have that tag this year. I didn't get out to hunt it in the fall, as I was focused on filling the freezer due to a slow hunting season. I'll give it some effort this spring, though. If our low-snow year continues, I'll fly into the Bold airstrip and set out from there - either on foot or on skis. Not expecting a very high chance of success, but should be a good time nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm pretty sure that one is the only bear ever taken in the short history of this hunt - or at least it was when it was taken.

I have that tag this year. I didn't get out to hunt it in the fall, as I was focused on filling the freezer due to a slow hunting season. I'll give it some effort this spring, though. If our low-snow year continues, I'll fly into the Bold airstrip and set out from there - either on foot or on skis. Not expecting a very high chance of success, but should be a good time nonetheless.
    Let me know how you do. I know there are bear back there because I have seen the massive amounts of tracks around the edge of the lake. I dont have an issue of moving my butt around and I hunt hard and put in miles. If I have to get up in the hills then I'll make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    If I have to get up in the hills then I'll make it work.
    Yeah, if I can hit the timing right, I'd love to find one sitting at the mouth of its den up in the mountains. It sure would be cool to approach on skis and hunt that way. Heck, with our current 45 degree temps, I should be up there right now! We shall see...

Good luck this spring, Brian. Hope you get #2 out of there!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yeah, if I can hit the timing right, I'd love to find one sitting at the mouth of its den up in the mountains. It sure would be cool to approach on skis and hunt that way. Heck, with our current 45 degree temps, I should be up there right now! We shall see...
    Is there any snow up there for skis? We barely have any. I've had to use my ATV on the trap line.

I don't really know, but I sure hope there is by April.

Time to hit the trail on this hunt. ANY useful information would be helpful. I've done all the homework and looked at a lot of maps but wouldn't mind hearing from someone that has been in there recently maybe a moose hunter or something?