Thread: Jet boating up sheep river?

Default Jet boating up sheep river?

Hey guys I just finally joined this awesome forum. Born and raised in AK and have been running rivers since I was a young buck, I have a 18' riveted flatbottom with a 60/40 Merc jet. Im wanting to run up the sheep river this summer, just throwing some feelers out there for how far you think I could realistically make it up without having to float all the way back to Talkeetna with a busted foot haha.

Super shallow,lots of flowing coarse sand,sweepers,,,,,,after about 15 miles up it gets real rocky and narrow and super size boulders,,never heard of anybody that made it as far as rainbow lake area in jetboat

Quote Originally Posted by Riverben View Post
    Super shallow,lots of flowing coarse sand,sweepers,,,,,,after about 15 miles up it gets real rocky and narrow and super size boulders,,never heard of anybody that made it as far as rainbow lake area in jetboat

Cool thanks for the info! Yea figured that them large boulders would start showing up pretty quick. Does 15 miles get you to the canyon area or past it ?

One of most difficult rivers to read at the beginning. Very silty and the channel is hard to see. Bottom can come up pretty quick where it looks good. I have an 18' welded flat bottom with 60/40 Yamaha, I have been up to about a mile or 2 below the first canyon. Starts to get rocky and swift about 10-12 miles up. Been to the first canyon on snowmobile, by what I saw I would not attempt to go through it with a light low powered boat. You can PM me if you want more info.