Thread: Getting Prodex to Nunivak

Default Getting Prodex to Nunivak

Brainstorming here....what is the best way to get pyrodex pellets and primers out to Nunivak for a musk ox hunt? Obviously not in luggage, but I wonder if I ordered direct from Cabelas or somewhere they could ship direct? U.S. Mail?

Thoughts?

Default Getting Prodex to Nunivak

There's no good way. It's Hazmat and forbidden all the way around or lots of $$ to do it correctly. I've thought about this many of times. I honestly think if you load them into shotgun shells and cut the shells open when you get there it would work great.

I should know this, but is Pyrodex forbidden on passenger aircraft? Obviously, real black powder, being classified as an explosive would be. I'd talk to carriers out of Bethel. Even passenger carriers probably have a number of cargo only flights going to Mekoryuk.
    Louis Knapp

http://westrocketry.com/sli2010/msds...ex_pellets.pdf

Section VII. CARGO A/C only.

There are Cargo only flights out of Bethel. Ravn, Grants and Yute all fly out of BET. I don't have the 49 CFR book on me and not going to spend the time looking it up. But the packaging required is probably more than cardboard for air transportation. Proper UN spec packaging will prob be decent $ plus the hazmat fee plus the cargo fee. If in ANC go down and talk to TGI freight if not call and ask questions. They can help with/ propped paperwork, packaging and labeling. Then you take to airline for shipping. I still think find a way to load up dummy shotgun rounds to transport legally and then cut open to get ur powder/primer.

I am sure it would go hazmat but you would need lots of lead time and it would cost at least 100 bucks. I found out about all the fees trying to get a 4 4 horse motor out to Kobuk for a float trip.

Have you contacted your outfitter and asked? That is part of being an outfitter I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Brainstorming here....what is the best way to get pyrodex pellets and primers out to Nunivak for a musk ox hunt? Obviously not in luggage, but I wonder if I ordered direct from Cabelas or somewhere they could ship direct? U.S. Mail?

Thoughts?

My hunting partner was out there last year, and I am sure that one outfitter has his own plane.