Thread: Purkeypile

Default Purkeypile

Plan on taking the girlfriend flying to some remote (or sort of) airstrips early this summer in the Citabria. Already been to most of my old hunting strips so have been looking at some new places. Purkeypile is on the list. Anyone been there? Any info appreciated.

I am not sure it is still a public strip, after Clark died, Audry sold the lodge to a private party. Last I was there it was a huge and well kept strip.

Quote Originally Posted by KasitsnaBay View Post
    Plan on taking the girlfriend flying to some remote (or sort of) airstrips early this summer in the Citabria. Already been to most of my old hunting strips so have been looking at some new places. Purkeypile is on the list. Anyone been there? Any info appreciated.

I think it is still a public strip. I flew into there a year ago and talked with Mike Litzen who has a pretty big guiding operation out of there. There was several other people that flew in while I was there to go hiking. He said that he has been maintaining and improving it for quite a while.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Thanks for jarring my memory AGL and Hunt'N'Photos. I'd completely forgotten that Mike Litzen had taken that over...so maybe I'll move it down a little on my list. Any other remote or semi-remote 1000' strips come to mind? My Citabria 7ECA is not a cub and I keep reminding myself so. As originally posted, we've pretty well covered Alaska Peninsula, Kenai Peninsula, North Brooks Range, Talkeetnas, and Wrangells. Thanks for any ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by KasitsnaBay View Post
    Thanks for jarring my memory AGL and Hunt'N'Photos. I'd completely forgotten that Mike Litzen had taken that over...so maybe I'll move it down a little on my list. Any other remote or semi-remote 1000' strips come to mind? My Citabria 7ECA is not a cub and I keep reminding myself so. As originally posted, we've pretty well covered Alaska Peninsula, Kenai Peninsula, North Brooks Range, Talkeetnas, and Wrangells. Thanks for any ideas.
    It's still very much a public strip. Owned by the state.

How was the hiking around there?

Quote Originally Posted by z987k View Post
    It's still very much a public strip. Owned by the state.

How was the hiking around there?
    The hiking is great out there. There is a good atv trail that leads up the mountain and there are lots of places to go from there.

And "Rip'Snorter" is just around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    And "Rip'Snorter" is just around the corner.
    A little sporty in and around there...

YEP.......I very nearly died there, missed it by a few minutes. Avalanche destroyed the entire camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    A little sporty in and around there...