Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Purkeypile

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kasitsna Bay
    Posts
    109

    Default Purkeypile

    Plan on taking the girlfriend flying to some remote (or sort of) airstrips early this summer in the Citabria. Already been to most of my old hunting strips so have been looking at some new places. Purkeypile is on the list. Anyone been there? Any info appreciated.

  2. #2

    Default

    I am not sure it is still a public strip, after Clark died, Audry sold the lodge to a private party. Last I was there it was a huge and well kept strip.

    Quote Originally Posted by KasitsnaBay View Post
    Plan on taking the girlfriend flying to some remote (or sort of) airstrips early this summer in the Citabria. Already been to most of my old hunting strips so have been looking at some new places. Purkeypile is on the list. Anyone been there? Any info appreciated.

  3. #3
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    I think it is still a public strip. I flew into there a year ago and talked with Mike Litzen who has a pretty big guiding operation out of there. There was several other people that flew in while I was there to go hiking. He said that he has been maintaining and improving it for quite a while.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kasitsna Bay
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Thanks for jarring my memory AGL and Hunt'N'Photos. I'd completely forgotten that Mike Litzen had taken that over...so maybe I'll move it down a little on my list. Any other remote or semi-remote 1000' strips come to mind? My Citabria 7ECA is not a cub and I keep reminding myself so. As originally posted, we've pretty well covered Alaska Peninsula, Kenai Peninsula, North Brooks Range, Talkeetnas, and Wrangells. Thanks for any ideas.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KasitsnaBay View Post
    Thanks for jarring my memory AGL and Hunt'N'Photos. I'd completely forgotten that Mike Litzen had taken that over...so maybe I'll move it down a little on my list. Any other remote or semi-remote 1000' strips come to mind? My Citabria 7ECA is not a cub and I keep reminding myself so. As originally posted, we've pretty well covered Alaska Peninsula, Kenai Peninsula, North Brooks Range, Talkeetnas, and Wrangells. Thanks for any ideas.
    It's still very much a public strip. Owned by the state.


    How was the hiking around there?

  6. #6
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by z987k View Post
    It's still very much a public strip. Owned by the state.


    How was the hiking around there?
    The hiking is great out there. There is a good atv trail that leads up the mountain and there are lots of places to go from there.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  7. #7

    Default

    And "Rip'Snorter" is just around the corner.

  8. #8
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    And "Rip'Snorter" is just around the corner.
    A little sporty in and around there...
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  9. #9

    Default

    YEP.......I very nearly died there, missed it by a few minutes. Avalanche destroyed the entire camp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    A little sporty in and around there...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •