Thread: Bison hunt for copper River

Default Bison hunt for copper River

It appears we will not be able to ride the copper for the bison hunt since it is still open. Does anyone know anything about the old logging roads over there? Do they still exist or overgrown? Do they bring you to the bison hunting grounds?
    Not sure if the Kotsina is even crossable

Thank you for any information you might have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the land with logging roads is Ahtna land. They have a trespass free for bison hunting. You might want to look into that.
    http://ahtna-inc.com/lands/land-permits/ Look at the non-shareholder permits

Fee has been paid already. That's is why I am trying to find a way to fill the tag. It my father in laws tag. We have been in contact with Ahtna and fish and game but no real info the old roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotsina bridge is out. Part of it fell into the river many years ago. Forest roads haven't been used commercially in 20 years. More than likely a bunch of deadfall would need to be cleared. River is going to be your only choice I know of. Sorry.

River is not the only option. If you have paid the fee, you can get bison on some of the lakes. Need a plane on skis. Accessible. A few years ago I know of someone who took a bison on the lakes between the Chesnina and Hubbard Peak.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

There are a couple lakes/swamps to utilize just have to hope they Bison are close. The logging roads are pretty over grown. You can drive out and the strip at Copper Center is good for skiis usually. Agree with tlingitwarrior.

Ahtha land stops at the high water mark. You are not trespassing if you stay on the lake or river ice.

Agreed with the advice to look into flying in. I don't know the details, but the guy with the hangar next to ours flew out last spring and got his friend on a bison within a day or two of landing. Maybe a bigger pain in the rear than riding across a frozen river, but it sure would be a shame to burn the tag.