Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14C southwest Ship Creek sheep

Default 14C southwest Ship Creek sheep

Wondering if anyone has hunted this area before for sheep and is willing to share any insight on the hunt.

Thanks

Looks like you're from South Dakota. Are you going with a guide, or with a resident relative?

Fantastic hunt area, potentially long hike into the best areas, lots of variation in the terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Looks like you're from South Dakota. Are you going with a guide, or with a resident relative?

Fantastic hunt area, potentially long hike into the best areas, lots of variation in the terrain.
    Yes I drew a moose permit a few years back in the same area so am somewhat familiar with the area, but wondering if anyone has hunted the area before for sheep.

I'll be curious to see any responses too. I got the same hunt, one of the September slots. Although I have an advantage - I can see the border of the hunt area from my house. Plan to do a lot of hikes up there this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Congrats on the draw, DK. Good luck on the hunt. If your going to hire a guide, won't he be determining where you hunt?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by dklaw View Post
    Yes I drew a moose permit a few years back in the same area so am somewhat familiar with the area, but wondering if anyone has hunted the area before for sheep.
    I spend a lot of time flying that area, but unfortunately I haven't been able to draw a sheep tag to save my life so no hunting experience in there... Congrats on the tag!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    I'll be curious to see any responses too. I got the same hunt, one of the September slots. Although I have an advantage - I can see the border of the hunt area from my house. Plan to do a lot of hikes up there this summer.
    Congrats! Which tag did you pull? I have DS138, maybe we'll see each other out there?

I have the ds138 as well. I put in for it on a whim and some how drew the tag. Looks like I'm going to spend the spring and summer scouting. This is a hard tag to draw so you gotta do your homework and leg work. Good luck!

To all the fortunate tag winners; congratulations. I used to hunt and guide in the area. Much of my info is dated but the access points have not changed; at least not much. Send me a P. M. on how to contact you.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_JR View Post
    Congrats! Which tag did you pull? I have DS138, maybe we'll see each other out there?
    I have the same tag as well. Might see you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    To all the fortunate tag winners; congratulations. I used to hunt and guide in the area. Much of my info is dated but the access points have not changed; at least not much. Send me a P. M. on how to contact you.
    Cheech, won't let me send a pm. my email is dklawitter_1999@yahoo.com

thanks

Impressive! It looks like we have four of the seven DS138 winners in this one thread! Congrats all!

I'm sure we'll all be developing our own strageties and hunt plans, but I'm open to coordinating with each other closer to the season to keep from all of us ending up at the base of the same bowl on opening morning!

To n8r, I am having trouble getting a private message to you. You can call Keith at 333-2708/

I drew ds136 last year, lucky for you I was unsuccessful
    I will gladly share what I have learned, and if I can keep you out of the alders that wrecked my knee I will!

Quote Originally Posted by rnykamp View Post
    I will gladly share what I have learned, and if I can keep you out of the alders that wrecked my knee I will!
    do you have a number or email that I can contact you at?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rnykamp View Post
    Ryan,

email sent.

Great area to hunt sheep. Plenty of rams in there. Lots of room, too. I've gone in from almost all the trailheads; Indian Creek, Bird Creek, Ship Creek, Crow Pass and both forks of Eagle River. But, my favorite way to enter that hunt area is via Crow Pass. Quick and easy to find rams and get on them when using that route. There are some really big sheep within that hunt area. Biggest one I ever heard of that came out of there was a 46 inch ram that was poached with a shotgun from a Piper PA18 in the mid 1960's.

My wife drew DS137 in 2013, and she took a really nice ram out of there, its one of the better tags for 14C (IMO) you have a bigger area and the rams can be spread out all over that country, do some scouting in the summer, If you have DS136, I'd fly it before season, and look for trail accessibility, and camp spots to plot your trip, just don't look at sheep. If you got the time to hunt it pretty hard, you will pull a good one out of there for sure. Some of the mountains in there can be fairly dry, so pack a ton of water with you as you ascend from the creeks to stay up high for at least 2 days. Good luck and congrats on a great tag !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dklaw View Post
    From the way I read this you didn't answer Brian's question. Are you going with a guide or a resident relative?

Does anyone know Horse Trek Alaska is still operating. The number i have says its been disconnected. Or know of anyone else that does horse transport?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast