Thread: Harken Block for dinghy lifting ?

Talking Harken Block for dinghy lifting ?

What is a good and economical way to lift a dinghy from a roof mounted davit ? Single, Double, Triple harken block? My dinghy will weigh approx. 100 pounds. Motor approx. 50 pounds. I would also use this same device for lifting 20 gal fuel cans onto the rear deck and maybe a bear or a big fish or a goat or a deer. Don't expect anything over 200 pounds but would like the system rated for 4 or 500 pounds.

Triple harken blocks (2 total one top and one bottom) seem to be about the best method. I'm only lifting 10 foot or so.

These types of blocks are expensive....about 100$ apiece. I don't need fancy and I will only be using it a few times a year so I don't need sailing quality equipment.

Any tips appreciated....

http://www.tpub.com/steelworker2/59.htm

some methods of blocks/tackles - a pretty good summary. I might employ a gun tackle - plus it sounds cool :-)

Maybe a pair of these doubles

https://www.garhauerstore.com/blocks...-20-18-us.html

fair priced but maybe too light duty?

I just looked at AIH website and they have all the parts you need to make what you are talking about.

Don't get too small of line. It will be harder to get ahold of.

I was thinking that too. I will checkout AIH next time I get back to anchorage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been wanting to get a cheap block and tackle too. I think I'm going to get a couple of the $20 double sheave pulleys and splice an eye on one of the lower sheaves and run the line to make a 3:1. With a couple shackles and some 3/8" 3-strand you should be into it for less than the price of 1 nice block.

Just use the open side block you are getting from me or if you have to add extra rigging just rig like in the picture. Tie off to davit or bottom of block then run rope through a single sheave block with a hook and looped strap to grab the load. In the dragging biz we called it a lifting strap.
    I have a ED customer who lifts 20 & 30 gallon gas drums off the pavement and into his boat with his ED running the rope just over the open block.
    ED davit in shop.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie U View Post
    I've been wanting to get a cheap block and tackle too. I think I'm going to get a couple of the $20 double sheave pulleys and splice an eye on one of the lower sheaves and run the line to make a 3:1. With a couple shackles and some 3/8" 3-strand you should be into it for less than the price of 1 nice block.
    that 3 strand like to wind itself into a twisted mess between the blocks when it gets a load on it, better off using braid.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Id have to add some kind of pulley to the roof so that the rope doesnt drag on the boat roof. Also it seems like using the puller to lift a load 10 feet is overkill and i am guessing would not provide much control of the load.

[QUOTE=Bullelkklr;1527635]Id have to add some kind of pulley to the roof so that the rope doesnt drag on the boat roof. Also it seems like using the puller to lift a load 10 feet is overkill and i am guessing would not provide much control of the load.

As long as the rope doesn't run over anything sharp/edge nothing will happen to it. No matter if its 10ft or 100 ft same amount of control, on & off with the switch. You'll be hauling 800ft when hauling shrimp gear. I'm not seeing what the triple block and tackle is going to do for you ??? and are you going to use the hauler or manpower to haul with the B&T ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Just pull it by hand. I think a double might be enough. Does the rope in the puller hold fast when you turn it off?

[QUOTE=Bullelkklr;1527645]Just pull it by hand. I think a double might be enough. Does the rope in the puller hold fast when you turn it off?

Yes it does.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692